Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Moire patterns on reduced pictures

by pdcharles14 / July 6, 2005 3:37 AM PDT

An experienced (amateur)photographer, I finally made the leap into digital. Happy with camera but never had a need for graphics software before. I have three graphics programs (only Roxio Media Creator 7.5 is current). Only the old Adobe PhotoAlbum (? - I'm not home to check right now) could reduce the large file pictures of my house to a size appropriate for sending w/ email (~640 x 480 )without creating really serious moire patterns on the clapboard siding and roof. Yet I never see anything about such in any review or discussions. I will be purchasing software now that I need it, but worry about this undiscussed problem. Unfortunately, Photoship CS is not under consideration for $$$ reasons. Any comments or discussion? Or help? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Moire patterns on reduced pictures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Moire patterns on reduced pictures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More Moire
by ChuckT / July 6, 2005 10:46 AM PDT

The resulting moire patterns you see are just the result of tightly spaced parallel, or near parallel, lines that "beat" to some visible sensitivity of your eye. Some people see moire patterns where other people do not.

Whatever you are using to reduce your pictures might just be doing a simple "throw every other pixel away" to reduce your pictures to half, or some multiple thereof. There are other reduction schemes around that may be more satisfactory for you, for your particular pictures. But it really all depends upon what your picture is of. With some pictures, and some reduction schemes, a moire pattern may be created where a simple reduction scheme would not have created a problem at all.

All I am saying is that with your pictures you should experiment with a few different tools or methods. See what works best for you, with those pictures.

At the risk of sounding like I am making money every time I say it (and I don't, I am in no way connected to this product) Irfanview is a very fine graphics program with a half dozen different reduction/resample filters, which may work for you. And if that isn't enough for you, there is the even more elaborate (and still FREE!) XnView. XnView has much more capability, but I am not as well versed with its finer features.

Collapse -
(NT) Gaussen Blur
by taboma. / July 6, 2005 2:19 PM PDT

pdCharles, Even if you have an old version of Adobe Photoshop, or the latest, this will work for you to reduce or elimate that morire pattern such as scanning from a printed piece.
In Photoshop with your image on the screen go to Filter/Blur/Gaussen Blur/Set the radius to .3 pixels/click ok and check out the file. If it still looks like it could use more repeat the last filter. Photoshop will remrmber what was set (Which is small by the way). This should do it for you. At last resorts do the filter again. Each time that you do the filter it will become slightly blurry. Don't go overboard with the filters.
We do this all day-long with scans. It works with scans and photos. In both PC and the Mac.

Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.