Computer Help forum

General discussion

Mointor twitching please help

I've been noticing that my monitor has been twitching right to left and after a while it starts to get annoying, I have no idea how to fix this I tried lowing the resolution and no effect, I thought it might have been my video card, but I borrowed a video card from a friends system and the same thing happens, so I m thinking my monitor is dieing is in less its something else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mointor twitching please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mointor twitching please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few suggestions

In reply to: Mointor twitching please help

Hello,

I understand your concern.

1.It might be your power cord, please check that BOTH monitor and tower power cords are in the powerpoint board orr what ever you have.

2. Go to control pannel than go to display and CHECK that the monitor is active, and the right resolution.. ect..

3. if you have any kind of mode buttons on your monitor screen, than make sure the monitor has the correct options.

4. Put your computer in safemode by rebooting your computer and pressing the "F8" button every second untill the start menu appears, click, run the computer in safe mode, and than do the 3 points as i have given for you.

POINT: NEVER EVER touch the monitor screen, it can cause the problem that your having now.

If all this stuff dosen't work, please tell me how old the monitor is.. thanks!!

Collapse -
4 years old

sorry for taking so long to respond back, um the mointor is fine sometimes then gets twitching and I notice toward the top left it gets a bit fade, the mointor was made in 2001, so I prob bought it around then. I m going to try one thing later on possible a different hdd the other day turning on my machine the read head was clicking disk read error, but it works fine now.

Collapse -
AMD, An Easier Test...

In reply to: 4 years old

Borrow another monitor from a friend or relative, then swap it in for your current monitor. If the new one fixes the issue, you know you need a new monitor.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
good idea

In reply to: AMD, An Easier Test...

yeah I should go test another mointor.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) if it works..forget you borrowed it <grin>

In reply to: good idea

Collapse -
Clean and adj., then verify

In reply to: 4 years old

Try cleaning(blow out) the monitor. Beware of the hi-voltages present, but blowing out isn't a hardship, just be careful not touch the innards. With the cover back on, re-adj. the dickens out of it, really move the knobs if so equipped. -OR- use the display menu and re-adj. them, goto the extremes, then return to proper adjusted display. Under the video properties make sure the video port/card and monitor are shown related to thier models. If the problem persists, only a repair or replacement(more likely) is the solution.

happy USA -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
monitor settings

Hi. Sounds like your monitor refresh rate is too low.
I don't know what operating system you are running but on WXP you can change the rate by right clicking on a blank part of your desktop then left click PROPERTIES
left click SETTINGS click ADVANCED then MONITOR. This will display the refresh rate that you can increase to see if it makes a difference. Increase the rate a little at a time untill you get a steady image as some older monitors can't handle too high a refresh rate. Hope this helps you. Cheers Stewart

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!