1. Shutdown shortcut: The first step to a your one click shutdown shortcut button, is to right-click on your desktop, now choose New, then choose Shortcut. The Windows Shortcut Wizard will appear. In the box that appears, in the "location of shortcut area" type in shutdown -s to shutdown. For the name leave it shutdown or type in a new name like SHUTDOWN or OFF.
2. Reboot shortcut: The first step to your one click reboot shortcut button, is to right-click on your desktop, now choose New, then choose Shortcut. The Windows Shortcut Wizard will appear. In the box that appears, in the "location of shortcut" area type in shutdown -r to reboot. For the name type in Reboot or Restart.
3. After you have created your shortcuts on your desktop, just double-click on one to shut down or reboot your computer.
4, Switches you can use with shutdown shortcuts. There are some switches you can use to customize your shutdown shortcuts. To use the switches type in, shutdown -s will shut down PC, shutdown -r will reboot PC, shutdown -f will forces any running applications to shot down, shutdown -l will log off the current user, shutdown -t nn will indicates the duration of delay, in seconds, before performing the action, and shutdown -c "message" will display a message in the System Shutdown windows, max 127 characters and must be enclosed in quotation marts.
5. I use these two technique to create one shutdown & one reboot shortcuts on my desktop, one for turning off my computer, and one for rebooting. These are the ones I use:
shutdown -s -t 04 -c "later Geek!" - This one will shut down the PC.
shutdown -r -t 04 -c "Rebooting Now!" - This one will reboot the PC.
6. Just a little more customizing. Now your need to change the icons to a better looking icons. Right click on your new shutdown shortcut and pick properties on the menu. Then click on change icon, now pick a new icon for your shortcuts. I picketed the red icon for the shutdown shortcut and a green icon for the reboot shortcut. The shutdown shortcuts are automatically put on your desktop, but to make it more convent I put them both on my toolbar. You can move them by dragging and dropping them on to your quick launch toolbar, it up to you.
Now you have two new one click shutdown and reboot shortcut buttons on your desktop and or toolbar.