Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Modification to Explorer

by merrillville / March 26, 2011 3:13 AM PDT

My system is a Compaq, AMD64 Athlon,supposedly, running XP. In Deember 2010, I loaded a program that modified my Windows Exploxer. The link below is a screenprint of my desktop.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/screenprint-3-26-2011.pdf?w=2233fb0e

On the left hand side, there is a blue ribbon. I have uninstalled every program that I loaded during December 2010 and the Explorer modification remains. Is there a way to find the modification and to disable it?

Thanks for any help that you might have.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modification to Explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modification to Explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What seems to have happened is that someone
by peacox / March 26, 2011 9:29 AM PDT

maybe you has chosen a web page from 'dropbox.com' as the home page for Internet Explorer, so that when ever you start Internet Explorer it displays this page. The page is an error responce which comes up when someone attempts to create a screenprint without first logging on to dropbox.
To remove this simply choose some other home page for Internet Explorer to display when it first loads.

Collapse -
That web page link.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 26, 2011 8:17 PM PDT

I got an;

"Error (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably try logging in?"

So I couldn't see the image.

Mark

Collapse -
Modification of Windows Explorer Problem
by merrillville / March 28, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: That web page link.
Collapse -
Nice picture.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 5:16 AM PDT
http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/8894-explorer-bar-desktop.html has a link somewhere near the bottom that seemed to help. Copy the contents to a Notepad window, save it as - for example - patch.reg; be sure to choose 'All files' not 'text file' in the file type box). Then browse to it, double click and say "yes, I want to add it to the registry".

Clearly, it's not a program that does it. It's a bar from Winodws Explorer itself (Explorer is the program that shows My Computer and the desktop). So uninstalling any program didn't help. It's just a setting that executing this registry file seems to undo.

Kees

Kees
Collapse -
(NT) Sorry Kees, I cross-posted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice picture.
Collapse -
Modification to Windows Explorer-Resolved
by merrillville / March 28, 2011 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice picture.
Collapse -
Seems normal to me
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

Thanks for the link. These forums don't allow images to be posted, but we often use image resource sites like ImageShack, PhotoBucket or similar. But your PDF link worked fine.

I've seen that in XP's Windows Explorer and it seems normal to me.

However, I have seen it more in My Documents. My Pictures, etc rather than in Windows Explorer itself.

Is this in every instance of Windows Explorer? For example, there should be a shortcut to a Windows Explorer in the Start Menu > All programs > Accessories.

If they are all the same, try right clicking the left hand column and seeing what options there are.

Alternatively, in Windows Explorer, search through the View menu option for ways to customise it. I didn't see from your image any Toolbars or Menu items so I assume you edited those out of the image.

If that is how Explorer opens then there are other things missing, and that might be more of a problem. I see your Taskbar is at the top. For test purposes, move it back to the bottom.

Does My Computer still open properly?

I've just realised. In Windows Explorer in XP there used to be a Folder menu item. If you click that, what happens?

Mark

Collapse -
Modification to Explorer
by merrillville / March 28, 2011 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Seems normal to me

I used Windows Explorer from "My Computer" and found that the instance of that Blue-bar overlay is as is shown in the screenprint. Right Clicking on that blue bar gets me nothing. Additionally, what the overlay does is to prevent me from pasting directly onto the desktop; so it seems that the blue bar is a desktop-only modification to Windows Explorer, albeit, one that I have been unable to remove. Thanks for the help. I will try one the other suggestion.

Collapse -
Did you read my 12:16 PM post above?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 7:09 AM PDT

Did that registry patch help?

Kees

Collapse -
Success
by merrillville / March 28, 2011 7:47 AM PDT

Yes the vbs file worked. Thanks again!

stigler

Collapse -
Glad I could help.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Success

It was easy once I saw the picture you posted. It made me try a google search for EXPLORER BAR DESKTOP and it was the first or second hit. Without a picture the right search term would have been impossible to guess. Just try BLUE RIBBON DESKTOP and you'll see.
Knowing or guessing the right term makes a lot of difference. But I must admit, it was a lucky guess.

Kees

Collapse -
That's great work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 28, 2011 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Success

Good job both you and Kees.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?