Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Modern science education

LINK

"The recommended value of 'g' has all the precision necessary for this examination," the statement read. It said students would not be penalised for using the correct value of 9.8 instead."

Whew!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modern science education
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modern science education
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Its a disgrace

In reply to: Modern science education

Seems similar to the whole language fiasco.

Collapse -
I just think it's funny...

In reply to: Its a disgrace

that they had to stipulate that no one would be penalized for giving the correct answer.

I don't really care that much about them changing the constant for the pupose of the test. No one does these calculations "manually" anyway.

When I took Physics (and dinosaurs roamed) we were allowed to use our slide rules on exams. I doubt that students today know what a slide rule is. I'm sure if someone handed me one today I would have no clue as to what to do with it.

Collapse -
re:

In reply to: I just think it's funny...

"When I took Physics (and dinosaurs roamed) we were allowed to use our slide rules on exams. I doubt that students today know what a slide rule is. I'm sure if someone handed me one today I would have no clue as to what to do with it."

I laughed when I read your answer, because recently when a grandson and I were going through an old box we came across one and I had a hard time even explaining it... and when we looked it up, we discovered it is a hot collectable... Happy

Collapse -
Great. Missed another opportunity.

In reply to: re:

Got rid of my slide rules decades ago.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Still got my 12 inch Pickett, lost the 6 in one.

In reply to: Great. Missed another opportunity.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I've still got 3 12" K&E's of different flavors

In reply to: Great. Missed another opportunity.

Collapse -
Slide rule

In reply to: re:

You mean I can finally sell mine? I think I'll see if I can find it tomorrow and take a pic. I think it's somewhere stuffed in a bag of old papers back in my closet. It was mandatory knowledge for Physics and Chemistry class in the 70's. I think the digital calculators were just coming out then, mostly from Texas Instruments.

Collapse -
found this.

In reply to: Slide rule

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Careful! You're dating yourself quickly! :-)

In reply to: found this.

Collapse -
Maybe,but...

In reply to: (NT) Careful! You're dating yourself quickly! :-)

...it's been bugging me now trying to remember where I put it. I did go through a suitcase of old papers and things and an old briefcase this morning, but no luck. I've filed it in the back of my mind to keep an eye open for it. It may be with some old textbooks. Last time I remember using it was to amuse my teens by coming up with rounded off answers on multiplication and division faster than they could get it on their calculators. Of course the calculator carried it out to more places, but it was still fun irritating them with "outdated" methods at the time. That's the last time I remember it being out, a few years back. I may have given it to one of them. They were really impressed by it.

Collapse -
I once had an accounting professor

In reply to: Maybe,but...

who challenged the class to calculate faster than he could to it on the blackboard with chalk. He won. Happy I suspect that hes been doing the same calculation for some time, but just the same, I figured we -should- have won.

Collapse -
I fail to be amused, Ed.

And we wonder why Western nations lag behind in producing qualified young people in math, engineering and the sciences?

Collapse -
Yes but considering that ...

... EVERYONE uses a calculator these days, keying in [9][.][8] vs. [1][0] only involves an extra key punch of the decimal point.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I'm assuming calculators were not allowed on the test...

In reply to: Yes but considering that ...

otherwise there's no particular advantage to rounding off the constant.

Collapse -
It's much easier to remember for those who may be a little

In reply to: I'm assuming calculators were not allowed on the test...

deficient in the study realm.

Collapse -
If calculators were not allowed on this test ...

In reply to: I'm assuming calculators were not allowed on the test...

... that is even more tragic.

As calculators (with memory capability) have advanced, it has been a bit more challenging as a teach to formulate problems that test comprehension vs. mere calculation. But it is essential that students are tested in at least semi real-world situations. That means, for the most part, that a calculator is handy ... even if it's the ''hunt and peck'' one that comes with Windows!

I DO try to have numbers work out somewhat better for my students in the science for non-scientist classes. But that means using other variables (like times and distances for gravity problems) that work out a little better. For the scientists, they should be used to things both working out "nicely" or getting results on the calculator out to ten places and rounding appropriately.

I still find this situation rather troubling, and even more troubling that an issue would even arise to give credit for the CORRECT answer a student would get using 9.8!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Close enough for government work. After all, we

don't want to tax the minds of the little darlings, or create a new competitor for the US.

Collapse -
Sheesh!

Even for my science for non-majors needing a science with a lab to graduate, we use 9.8. Throughout my schooling we used 9.81.

With calculators, I don't see how using a round number makes the math that much different. OTOH, it encourages arbitrary rounding and accepting unacceptable (IMO) error.

*SIGH*

Evie Happy

Collapse -
At least it is in Australia, not the US

Though I wouldnt doubt that its happening here, too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.