Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Modem won't work

by Gib34lee / June 29, 2004 9:27 PM PDT

Running Windows ME. When I would connect to the internet the windows would not load fully and I would get disconnected. If I did connect I could not stay connected. I restored my hard drive and reinstalled AOL with the same problem. I purchased a new modem and this one will not work at all. I have installed the driver, there are no Resource Conflicts. when I go to System Properties>Modem>It is there but has an error>"Cannot Read Port name from Registry". It is installed on Com1. I also get this error "The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set". What do I need to do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem won't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem won't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Modem won't work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 9:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Modem won't work

AOL doesn't share its knowledge base and I have never used their service. You get to call them when their software fails.

The only guess I can offer is that you could have left out some details in your post such as you installed Windows recently. Remember that Microsoft doesn't fetch and install drivers for modems or much else.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Modem won't work
by Gib34lee / June 29, 2004 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Modem won't work

I have been using AOL on my computer for 3 years. Just recently I started having problems connecting to the internet. When I did connect I could not stay connected and everything wouldn't load. I decided to delete AOL and reinstall it. That did not help. I then used my Restore disk and restored my computer that did not help. I have not reinstalled Windows ME. I borrowed a computer and hooked it up and connected to AOL with no problem. I decided to install a new modem. Now my computer is giving me the errors that I described in my original post. I can't even get a dial tone with this new modem. With the other one it would dial but not connect and was really slow when It did connect and would not load everything or let me go to a Website.

Collapse -
A few issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Modem won't work

1. "I then used my Restore disk and restored my computer that did not help. I have not reinstalled Windows ME."

Sorry, but these sentances conflict. Restore CDs do reinstall ME, if not only to restore files.

You'll want to install the modem's drivers per their instructions.

2. Have you called AOL?

You are paying for this support, so use them.

3. "I borrowed a computer and hooked it up and connected to AOL with no problem. I decided to install a new modem. Now my computer is giving me the errors that I described in my original post. I can't even get a dial tone with this new modem. With the other one it would dial but not connect and was really slow when It did connect and would not load everything or let me go to a Website."

a. I read it three times and think you are writing that the other machine did connect, but didn't work too well.

b. The no-dialtone is a dead clue that the modem drivers are not installed or the phone line is dead or not plugged in.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: A few issues.
by Gib34lee / June 30, 2004 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: A few issues.

I opologize for being confusing.

1. I mean't to say that I didn't reinstall Windows Me before the problems began. Only after the Modem was slow in connecting if it connected at all.

2. We did call AOL and they transferred me to Tech Support and wanted to charge me $39.99 to check to check the set up of the modem I installed.

3. We took it to Best Buy for them to look at it as it is still under extended warranty only to get it back with the same issues. They said it was AOL's connection. Why wouldn't it have problems with the borrowed computer if is was AOL?

I used the borrowed computer to check the connection with AOL and my phone line. The borrowed computer with is a 1999 Compaq loads up quickly and completely with no problems.

b. The computer recognizes the modem and driver but give an error message under System Propertied, Device Manager, "Cannot read Port name from Registry."

This is the only issue with this computer. We will not reinstall Norton Internet Security ever again. Will restoring the computer again fix this problem or what do you suggest?

Collapse -
I agree, it's the modem drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2004 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: A few issues.
Collapse -
forget to include this
by Gib34lee / June 29, 2004 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Modem won't work

I did not have a problem with my modem until I installed Nortons Internet Security. I have since uninstalled it but I am still having problems.

Collapse -
SInce Windows ME can't be "attacked...." (more...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: forget to include this

With all due respect to those that write you can't do without a firewall, the brutal truth about Windows 98 and ME is that with just one patch which is only needed if you share a filesystem/printer, just connecting to the internet doesn't open the machine to any attack that works.

EXPLOITS of Internet Explorer, Outlook (all versions) are the same as on the other versions of windows which firewalls do little to thwart.

Why one messes up a working Windows 98/ME machine with a firewall is going to be a repeating issue since those that sell firewalls will continue to scream that everyone needs it. (True for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003!)

Since Norton (Symantec) broke it, you may want to consider what effort it may take to expel all of NIS and go back to what worked.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?