Desktops forum

General discussion

Modem trouble

by Steele-45A / December 19, 2007 4:54 AM PST

One of my old PCs finally died a while back, and the other day I received a replacement I ordered online, which uses Win2kPro.
Unfortunately it didn't come with a modem installed.

I installed a "NetoDragon 56k Voice Modem", but am for some reason unable to connect to the internet using MSN 8.

I installed MSN 8 and chose "I've already signed up", and was immediately greeted with the following error message;
"We're sorry, we cannot sign you up for MSN because there is a problem with your computer or the MSN service. Please try again later."

The driver for the modem is installed, and I can use the "Internet Connection Wizard" which successfully connects to the "Microsoft Internet Referral Service", so apparently the modem is working.

I've never had to install a modem on a computer, having had them already installed when I bought them, and thus have absolutely no idea what to do here.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First our forum note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Modem trouble

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

My first guess is that Windows 2000 isn't properly installed. Try installing the latest motherboard chipset drivers. I copied the forum note since without those details I can't be more specific.

Bob

Collapse -
Everything I know
by Steele-45A / December 19, 2007 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: First our forum note.

Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (Says Windows 98SE on the case)
Model: Case says it is a "Compaq Deskpro EN".
Under system properties it says;
System
Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 4
Computer
x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 3
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
261,552 KB RAM

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Everything I know

Compaq make hundreds of that model line. It's not specific enough to find the drivers but you can try compaq.com

Bob

Collapse -
Found the drivers..
by Steele-45A / December 19, 2007 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I managed to find and download the drivers for the chipset, which had no effect.
Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Found the drivers..

I don't know the details of the machine so I'm going to call it a dead modem. Try another.

Bob

Collapse -
That wasn't the problem.
by Steele-45A / December 19, 2007 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

I had already tried three different modems, all had the same result.
But it seems there was never any problem with the modem to begin with.

After a bit of digging, I managed to find an old trial CD for a different ISP, and installed it.
It worked. I was able to connect to the internet, and visit websites without any errors.

I used the guest sign-in feature in MSN 8 after going online, and that even worked.
Apparently the problem is on MSN's end, not mine.
Even while connected to the internet, the sign-up wizard was saying I was offline.

Now all I have to do is hope MSN customer service doesn't put me on hold and forget about me.. again.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2007 12:48 PM PST

But the forums work best when the forum notes are followed. The make/model helps everyone give the best answers.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?