PC Applications forum

General discussion

Modem Speed

by GarrettInTn / January 29, 2004 12:29 AM PST

I have heard there is a new software program available called "Onspeed". It was developed by a British company to increase modem speed. Has anyone heard about this software? and/or possibly used it? Let me now your thoughts. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem Speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem Speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ANY :Modem Speed BOOSTER that I've seen has either not worked or just a SCAM to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2004 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Modem Speed
Collapse -
Re:Modem Speed
by Tufenuf / January 29, 2004 4:45 AM PST

I agree with Bob 100%. Don't waste your time or money on any of those so called Optimizer programs because they do nothing to speed up your modem.

Larry

Collapse -
Re:Modem Speed
by radean / January 29, 2004 5:36 AM PST

"ONSPEED is a software download which utilises a unique 9 patent approved compression technology that increases your existing Internet connection speed by up to 5 times."

Sounds like a Web Accelerator. If so, it doesn't speed up your modem, but does compress images and such, so pages load faster.
My ISP started offering a free one not long ago, and I was hesitant to try it, since I had not heard anything good about them on these forums.
Finally gave it a try, and really like it. I don't think that I would pay to have it, but for free, it's great.
You can get much the same effect by turning off images in IE options.

Collapse -
Re::Modem Speed
by wjeffres / March 24, 2004 9:19 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Modem Speed

I have been using a program called propel (www.propel.com) for well over a year now. Yes it does cost an annual fee of 50.00 a year. However my web pages load 3-4 times faster. When I am at other computers other than my own, I get very frustrated with the slowness of the web pages. I guess I have grown accustomed to propel and won't do without it. I beleave netzero offers a simmular service as part of their dialup. Propel is not an ISP.

P.S. Propel is a graphics compression service that compresses the webpage and downloads it to you. The propel software on your computer uncompresses it so you can veiw each web page normally. I does not change any moden configurations like so-called other programs. Yes it works with the zone alarm firewall too. Should work with any dialip 56k service. check their web site for Q/A.
Bill J.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.