Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

modem siren

For the second time this year my modem has let out a tinny siren sound lasting about 12 sec.
No explanatory pop-up, and nothing when I ran AVG. I was connected at the time and typing in Works, but not connected to the net.

Anyone any idea why this happens?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: modem siren
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: modem siren
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: modem siren

In reply to: modem siren

sure its the modem how about a temp. warning for over heating?

Collapse -
Yep, that's my guess too.

In reply to: Re: modem siren

However, it seems there should be an automatic shut-down if this happens. I did have a blow heater on in my small computer roomn at the time, but that has been the case all winter. Perhaps the modem has a faulty "thermostat". Will have someone look at it if it happens again.
Thanks Mark.

Collapse -
Re: Yep, that's my guess too.

In reply to: Yep, that's my guess too.

its not the modem check temp settings in bios and see if cpu heat sink, is clear and fans spinning

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Yep, that's my guess too.

Mark could you give me 1,2,3, step by step instructions on how to do this. I am not as computer smart as I may appear.

Cheers

Collapse -

on startup click on del and one section should be something regarding cpu in there look at temp settings.

then open case make sure puter is off and see if there any dust bunnies inside, clen those out carefully, next look with a flash light at cpu heat sink is it clear of dirt:dust etc. if not get a can of air blow it out.
then take hand spin all fans see if spin freely if not clean replace.
next turn on computer see if all fans running. any noisey ones? replace clean.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks MarK.

Collapse -
Mark....

In reply to: (NT) Thanks MarK.

I have just installed a useful little tool that monitors fan speeds, temps etc, called Speedfan.

It shows the temp as 49 deg which has a green tick. As it rises to 50 deg this changes to a red arrow.

My computer repair man tells me that between 40 and 60 is OK and although there is a warning red arrow at 50 this is a very low danger setting and the actual internal modem setting is higher.

I will check the temp next time I get the siren. It seems that the modem will shut down if the temp is really dangerous and he can't explain why the siren went off without a shutdown.

Thanks again for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yw glad i helped u a bit

In reply to: Mark....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.