Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

modem or router?

I am looking to sign up with my local provider for broadband service. They sell a modem with wireless for $99 with the service, In my opinion that should be included, (used to be that way), and so that annoys me. I would like to shop for my own modem and get a better deal.

The problem is I have no idea exactly what to get. I want to connect my desktop machine, then have wireless access through my laptop, I guess a basic home network, nothing fancy.

What is the difference between a modem and a router? Which one do I need? Hopefully not both? What are the criteria I should compare when buying one or the other? I would also love some kind of internet access 101 tutorial, I have not found that through CNET though I remember some tutorial or buying guides on other products at some point.

Thanks...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: modem or router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: modem or router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here the wifi router is free IF...

In reply to: modem or router?

You sign up for a year or more. These deals vary.

99 bucks is not a rip off. I see that price on the shelf here.

What is the difference between a modem and a router?

The modem gets the signal to some ethernet in the case of broadband. That's good enough for a single machine. Today people want more machine connections so routers were brought into the mix. At first we would add a WAP (see google) to add WIFI but now you can get all the parts in one nice little package.

Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob. . .

In reply to: modem or router?

99 bucks is a good price for a modem/router combo, especially with wireless. As a comparison, a cable modem by itself will be about 80 bucks, and a wireless router by itself is around a hundred. You can go up from there, with a high-end Gigabit with wireless N is around two hundred bucks and it's not a modem.

Tell us who your provider will be and maybe we can be more specific.

Wayne (IBM freak - 6)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
My mini-Schnauzer is smarter than your honor student.

Collapse -

In reply to: Agree with Bob. . .

Ok thanks for the input. I see what you mean by the modem router combo, to buy them separately would be at least $99.

My main concern now though, having talked to a couple people, is speed v. cost. According to Consumer Reports, it seems Broadband is one area that is still expensive and with limited choice. In my location I would agree. We have Qwest DSL which is $45+/-, or Comcast broadband for $60 (both including taxes and fees). People have told me DSL is s-l-o-w, despite their claims. I don't want s-l-o-w, so perhaps Comcast is better, though it's all pretty expensive IMO.

So I guess my question now is, instead of starting a new thread, is DSL pretty fast, or any feedback on those services?

Thanks.

Collapse -
Here I dumped my DSL

In reply to: reply

It was not a matter of speed but that I locked down a 99 buck a month deal for 3 years that included digital TV, phone (unlimited) and the internet. My neighbor thought I was nuts to sign up, now they want the same deal.

Collapse -
DSL. . .

In reply to: reply

I taught DSL for the Bell System and I know how it works. And it can be slow. Since I'm retired from the Bell System I could have it for free. I spent the extra bucks for Comcast cable. For 58 bucks I get 15 Meg down and one Meg up per their latest email to me. It's worth it to me for the speed. My latest reading from here http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ :

Last Result:
Download Speed: 23257 kbps (2907.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 958 kbps (119.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

As you can see I get more. DSL won't even come close. In actuality, I see consistent one Meg/sec downloads from sites. On a good day DSL will hit 45-50 Kb/s.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.