HolidayBuyer's Guide

Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Modem or Charter cable problem?

by hma95 / July 30, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

I've been trying to solve my problem for a few weeks now. At first I thought it was my out dated D-link router. I have charter cable for TV and internet. I just spent $ on a new linksys/cisco router and supposed to be getting 10mbps DL speed. When the internet was SO slow again, I hooked up my PC directly to the modem, reset the modem and for about 10min. or so I have the full 10mbps speed, then it starts to drop off, down to 7, down to 5 and goes all the way down to 1 or 1/2mbps! I hooked up our 2nd PC directly to the modem and reset the modem, same thing, great for the first 10min. or so. I have contacted charter a few times and they are just clueless! Telling me to clean my PC of adware/spyware and crap like that.

So, I'm just wondering if it's not just my modem which is not from charter, it's one I bought a couple years ago and is a Motorola surfboard.... don't have the model #, not at home right now. I just hate to put more $ down on a modem after just buying a router and find out it is a problem with Charter. Any insight?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem or Charter cable problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem or Charter cable problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you read below?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 7:36 AM PDT

Read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7583_102-0.html?threadID=350979&tag=forums06;forum-threads

The speed is not going to be 10 anything because as you get out of Charter's network those downloads are you battling it out for data from what server across what network to you?

Many are still trying to demand speed from their ISP when the ISP does not own the entire connection from that server to you.

Besides you didn't tell how you measured this. Torrent speeds are well known to be throttled.
Bob

Collapse -
Always had 10 before.
by hma95 / July 30, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you read below?

speedtest.net and speedtest.charter.com. I don't use torrents and I also tried this in safe mode on both PC's with the same result. Internet was fine for years and this happened overnight. We used to always get 10, even the cable guy when he came to the house to hook up HD checked out the internet and also got 10 a few months ago, actually it was almost 11. Even if it was a server thing like you say, I find it hard to believe everything is fine for the first 10 to 15 min and does a steady drop until it reaches less than 1! And stays there until I reset the modem. I guess I'll be calling again.

Collapse -
Since it tapers off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Always had 10 before.

We would have to discuss how ISPs use Cisco Cache Engine as well as the mechanics of how this works to explain why it starts off fast and slows down.

Nothing in your post points to it being your problem. Of course there is that issue that some old cable modems can't use the new "Powerboost" by some cable ISPs.
Bob

Collapse -
My thoughts there too . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 31, 2009 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Since it tapers off.

If the modem is not DOCSYS 2.x or greater . . .

Collapse -
THANK YOU!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 10:39 PM PDT

"DOCSYS 2.x or greater"

Those words were eluding me.

Collapse -
Us old farts . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2009 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: THANK YOU!

have to stick together.

Collapse -
Modem or Charter cable problem reply
by eldson5000 / August 29, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

I have been having problems with my internet as well. My internet has been going out a lot lately so I choose to buy another modem before I spend a day waiting for the Charter people to show up. Shot down to Best Buy and picked up a new one. Got home, set it up and called Charter to give them the MAC ID number so they could send through a signal. Well, it seems that Charter in the infinite wisdom (wisdom being a euphemism for thoughtless yet relentless corporate greed) has decided that they no longer will allow customers to use their own modems. I'll repeat that, they no longer will allow customers to use their own modems. You have to rent a modem from them for $7.00 per month. Their modem doesn't even have WiFi. So I will have to go out and but a router and pay them their blood money.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1491 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2013 10:27 AM PDT

And the discussion is now woefully out of date. Please start a new discussion about what you need to discuss.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.