Computer Help forum

General discussion

Modem keeps dialing

by LittleD653 / January 25, 2004 9:21 AM PST

For 5 years now I have been using a modem on my computer and have had no problems. My INTERNET PROPERTIES: CONNECTIONS setting is "Dial whenever a network connection is not present" and has been for all 5 years. Recently, whenever the computer is not connected, it dials automatically, which it had obviously never done before.

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem keeps dialing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem keeps dialing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Modem keeps dialing
by Steven Haninger / January 25, 2004 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Modem keeps dialing

Something is running in the background to cause this. It could be a legitimate program set to try to update itself or it could be a virus, trojan or spyware. I would first check for and eliminate the latter. You might be able to check for running applications using Ctrl/Alt/Del and bring up task manager.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Modem keeps dialing
by LittleD653 / January 25, 2004 9:37 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Modem keeps dialing

and how do i check for all that, explain each one please. also, i dont want to have to close an application every time i turn on the computer, i want to PERMANENTLY fix it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Modem keeps dialing
by hddndrgn04 / January 31, 2004 9:57 PM PST

DIALER! Beware, that your computer might be infected by a virus known as Dialer. Look it up on google, there should be a vast amount of information about it online websites.

Collapse -
Modem keeps dialing = BAD SIGN.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2004 11:33 PM PST

At one time I left a modem in a machine to fax things out from time to time. I got "crammed." Some drive-by downloader installed a dialer and it ran up a small phone tab. While I did get the charges reverses, it did take some effort on my part to note that I didn't agree to these calls. I'm sharing this because its important what "tack" you take if you even find yourself in this situation. For me, I found the best response to be "I didn't agree to those calls being made." and "I've found the items that caused it and it was removed." and "Can you block these numbers?"

For me, this was over a year ago when Pests, Parasites, drive-by-downloaders and such were just showing up in force. Today, it's an everyday discussion for "Tech."

Read the "getting crammed" section at http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/19/pf/saving/scams_smart/?cnn=yes

Most of these can be found by using the items I noted in the Anti-Parasite Suite at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 CWSHREDDER has a new home at http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Modem keeps dialing
by Seabreeze / February 17, 2004 12:34 PM PST

Same thing happened to me about 2 or 3 yrs ago. It turned out to be a trojan virus. The trojan was trying to contact the author and open a "back door" in the background to give the author access to my computer. My suggestion is to update you anti-virus definitions and run a virus scan on all files, not just program files. That should hopefully detect any viruses on your computer if that is the problem.

Collapse -
SEABREEZE
by Cursorcowboy / February 17, 2004 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Modem keeps dialing

Why reply to messages 10-days to 2-weeks old which should be consider closed/abandoned? When you do this, such messages pop back to the top of the tree and appear to everybody else as new and requiring assistance until we open them and see the status. Please always note what the original date is of a message before replying.

Your assistance in this matter will help others so that we are not wasting precious time helping someone who has just asked a question instead of going over old/abandoned stuff unnecessary.

Thank you.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:SEABREEZE
by Seabreeze / February 19, 2004 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: SEABREEZE

sry, didn't know the protocols here. to answer your question "Why reply to messages 10-days to 2-weeks old"- just recently saw the post and knowing that not all problems are solved in 1 day, week or even more, and having been through and solving a similar problem, just trying to help.

Collapse -
I'm confused ..
by Rosalie / February 17, 2004 5:33 PM PST

If you have your connection set to: "Dial whenever a network connection is not present", does that mean that you have a network connection? If not than it seems like it would make sense for it to be dialing, not? My setting is: "Always dial my default connections", and it doesn't dial until I click on the connection icon.

You very well may be infected with a virus but the above setting somehow doesn't seem right.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.