Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Modem Disconnect

by telly67 / August 21, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

My parents have an HP Pavilion laptop running XP with 512MB RAM. I have finally gotten them to switch over to a DSL connection, but we're having some problems.

After installing the Verizon DSL software, the computer was able to connect and ran just fine; however, after turning it off and then resuming work a half-hour later, it was unable to connect.

I went through this cycle several times, and found that by turning the modem off and then back on the problem would be cured. I called Verizon to find out why we had to do this; they ran checks on their line and said everything was fine from their end, that the problem was at our end in the computer.

Diving into the problem a little further, I found that the problem was caused by the network interface card releasing the address after about 20 minutes. I called HP, went through three workarounds with them (flashing the BIOS, reinstalling the NIC, and resetting TCP/IP) all to no avail.

I now have the laptop at home, connected to my cable gateway; and it works just fine! Either through an Ethernet connection or wireless, it is running like a champ. I can shut down for any amount of time and be guaranteed that the laptop will connect the next time I start it up.

My questions: What is the difference of being connected via Ethernet to a modem or to a router/switch?

Would the easiest solution to this problem be in just buying a wired/wireless router or switch to connect between the DSL modem and the computer? This is what makes sense to me.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

Telly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem Disconnect
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem Disconnect
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Telly tell all.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 8:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem Disconnect

Sorry but a few details are missing. Such as make/model and how things are connected. It's also important to know if the users are into P2P use, Limewire or other.

With the missing details, the answer is not here.

Bob

Collapse -
It's all in the details...
by telly67 / August 21, 2007 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Telly tell all.

Bob (and all)-
The DSL modem was supplied by Verizon, it is a Westell 6100; laptop connects to it via Ethernet.

The NIC is by National Semiconductor (DP83815/816) (the newest driver available for it has already been installed).

I'm using a Linksys WCG200 cable gateway (combination modem router in one box) here at home. The laptop works connected via Ethernet or wireless (b) to this box.

The use of the laptop is strictly for checking email using Outlook and surfing via IE.

The laptop (HP Pavilion ze5730us) is running XP SP2.

Anything else?

Thanks,
Telly

Collapse -
My neightbor had that model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

It recently died. But the issue could be the firmware is out of date and it's a little painful to find the newest. Also they had only WEP encryption so the neighborhood had someone that knew how to get around that.

Moving to WPA cured that issue and the new router firmware helped stability.

Later a lightning strike in the area damaged the 6100 and I loaned them my old dsl modem and router till Verizon sorted it all out. There was no other way to get that fixed but let Verizon spend the hours.

At least with the loaner they could stay online until Verizon caved and replaced the Westell.

Bob

Collapse -
So...
by telly67 / August 21, 2007 11:39 AM PDT

do you think if I connect a wireless router to that modem I'll have better luck with the computer not forgetting who/what it's connected to? Or, would I be better off just getting a different DSL modem? Do DSL modems have a MAC address that must be submitted to Verizon?

I have a good handle on things cable-wise, but DSL not so much.

Thanks.

Collapse -
The Westell 6100 modem/router uses
by PudgyOne / August 21, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

the ip address of 192.168.1.1

So did my wireless router.

You may have to change the ip address in the Linksys router to something like 192.168.7.1 so they don't conflict.

Like Bob said

update the firmwaqre in the Linksys Router
Use WPA Personal security

Don't use anything else.

Rick

Collapse -
Maybe I wasn't clear
by telly67 / August 21, 2007 7:27 PM PDT

but the laptop works fine when connected to the Linksys router.

A question remains: Besides being able to connect multiple computers, is there any other advantage to connecting this laptop to modem-router combination vs. just to the modem itself? Is there an inherent difference in the Ethernet connections of the modem vs. the router?

I'm trying to solve the problem of the computer releasing its address everytime it shuts down; it doesn't do this when hooked up to my wireless router, but it does when hooked up just to a DSL modem.

Thanks.

Collapse -
That's normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2007 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe I wasn't clear

By adding the router it keeps the connection alive on the dsl modem. Since a router is cheap compared to any service call I'm calling that a good fix.

The issue, if as you say it is will not find a cure.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob
by telly67 / August 22, 2007 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: That's normal.

for your insight and advice! I figured the modem that Verizon "gives" you when you subscribe is not of the greatest quality.

Router will be purchased and installed this weekend...

Telly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!