Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Modem connection loss (Important!)

by TheAnt317 / August 31, 2010 7:23 AM PDT

Hello. I've been using ZoneAlarm Firewall for over 6 years and Avira AntiVir for about a year and only now I may be having a serious problem with them.

Whenever I try to upload files to ANYTHING, such as YouTube or MediaFire or any website or anything that involves an upstream, eventually the connection on my modem will suddenly cut out and have to re-connect. Also, I've noticed when trying to play games on WiFi, after a while I'll suddenly get an error message that I've been disconnected from the network.

Both of these things have only started happening about a month ago, and it's getting to be quite frustrating. I'm not 100% sure that the firewall or antivirus is the problem, but most of the time when I shut them both off/disable them, my uploads go just fine, but sometimes the modem disconnections persist.

Is there anything I can do about this? Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem connection loss (Important!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem connection loss (Important!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Modem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 8:55 PM PDT

I take it you don't mean a dial-up modem? If you do then such things are likely to happen.

If you mean a cable modem then do you have a router as well, or is it connected directly to the computer?

ZoneAlarm and Avira AntiVir. Just a check, since ZA now comes in different flavors, eg just a firewall, or firewall and anti-virus and anti-spyware combined, is there a conflict with Avira? Does Avira also include a firewall?

Mark

Collapse -
Whoops
by TheAnt317 / August 31, 2010 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Modem?

Oh okay, you're right, I should have been a bit more informative. It is a cable modem (DCM-202), it is connected to a router (Linksys WRT54G). ZoneAlarm is the basic, free version of the firewall. So is Avira, it's also the free version so no, it does not have its own firewall.

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoops
Collapse -
Hmm
by TheAnt317 / September 2, 2010 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Small world.

I believe it is set up like it is there, but like I said I've only just recently had problems. My router has been set up the same way for over 2 years now.

Collapse -
At 2 years its time to change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

I suggest a move to WPA2 if possible and to change the WIFI CHANNEL after you see what new routers have sprung up around you.

2 years is great but unless your router has some automatic channel selection (new ones do that to avoid multiple routers on the same channels) I find I get to do that manually.

Could you share the basic settings you use? WEP, number of bits, hidden SSID and such?
Bob

Collapse -
Not Sure
by TheAnt317 / September 6, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

I don't think it's time to change just yet. 2 years is a pretty short shelf life.

As for what you asked for, it's under WPA Personal (TKIP), not sure what you mean by number of bits and the only thing I can find for you on SSID is that the Wireless SSID Broadcast is set to Enable.

Collapse -
Forgot
by TheAnt317 / September 6, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

I also forgot to follow-up that I tried to upload a file with my modem connected directly to the computer and I experienced no disconnections. However, I'm not 100% sold that the router is the problem for three reasons.

One, I haven't tested it enough to be certain. I mean, I only uploaded one file so far (yes, I'm slow about certain things).
Two, my firewall and anti-virus were disabled during the upload. I haven't yet tried it with them on.
Three, the biggest uncertainty in my mind, when I connected the modem to the computer, ZoneAlarm's network setup wizard popped up asking me if I wanted to set permissions for the "new detected network connection." I closed out of it this time, but I remember the last time I re-connected my router, it popped up and I accepted the settings, putting it as a "Trusted Zone." Even still, I'm not sure if THAT network setup wizard might be the problem itself.

Collapse -
More tests.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot

You said you uploaded a file with the computer directly connected to the modem.

If you got on the internet with that direct connection then the modem works. But I note you said you disabled the firewall. No need to disable the anti-virus, but the next test is to re-enable the firewall and test. A computer connected to the internet without a firewall is at risk. Do that then try and upload a file.

ZoneAlarm will always pop up with a new network message when you physically change networking settings, or even if you turn off both the modem and router and turn them back on again. ZA detects that as a new network, and that should go in the Trusted Zone.

If uploading works with ZA enabled, the the problem is with the router settings.

Mark

Collapse -
Which Version Of ZoneAlarm?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 2, 2010 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Whoops
Collapse -
Got It
by TheAnt317 / September 6, 2010 4:58 AM PDT

That is the version I have already.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!