HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Modem

by jerseyrock / July 9, 2009 10:03 AM PDT

I am looking at new notebooks.

(1) why would I want a modem if the notebook has wireless connectivity and/or bluetooth?

(2) what is the difference between a 5 in 1 digital reader and a 7 in 1 digital reader and is the difference worth much to me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / July 9, 2009 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem

1) modem- If you have access to wifi, then great. If you don't and need a connection, the modem will have to do at least until you're near wifi again. Plus, the modem is more secure w/o any fancy setting, IMHO.

2) memory readers- Memory cards come in various formats, having 5,7, 9, 10, 15, 20 in 1, just makes it more flexible to what you may need to access via a memory card.

FYI- I just brought a desktop 20-in-1 memory card reader for $8, of course an int. laptop model will cost more. However, an ext. memory reader using the USB port will be cheaper and that can be as flexible as you want.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Modem
by Phil Crase / July 9, 2009 11:18 PM PDT

Depends on the kind of modem of which you speak. For a wireless home network you generally tie off of the server (ISP) output to either a cable or dsl modem, then to a wireless router which emits a wireless signal so that you can cart your laptop around the house wirelessly. This for a broadband hook up as opposed to a PHONE MODEM which is an entirely different type of modem. there are also Air cards that you can get, you pay a monthly server fee and you have a wireless hook up with portability ALMOST anywhere.

Collapse -
RE: Modem
by DesElms / July 16, 2009 5:13 AM PDT

Always get a modem in your notebook... and try to make sure it's a FAX modem (by that I don't mean a modem which can only do fax; rather, I mean a regular modem which is also cable of doing fax).

One never knows when one will need a modem do dial-in instead of using a cable or DSL modem and high speed connection.

Also, if you're using a laptop, you may need to send/receive a fax. Using software like SnappyFax, one can send-receive faxes using the laptop's modem all day long.

As for the reader: Assuming you're referring to a card reader, a 7-in-1 will read more types of memory cards than willa 5-in-1. It's common for notebook readers to be 4-in-1 or 5-in-1; and for them to only read smaller memory cards like SD or XD and other sizes similar. But if you have a higher-end camera which uses COMPACT FLASH cards, then you need bigger reader slots... such as those typically only found in 7-in-1 readers. So, with a digital card reader, more is almost always better. Get 7-in-1 if you can.

Hope that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.