Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Modem

by wanness / July 3, 2004 4:44 AM PDT

I have a HP Pavilion 304w, AMD XP1800, 224 Ram, 40HDD, and 56 k Lucent modem. The OS is XP Home, My problem is that when the new hardware wizard installs the Lucent modem, it installs it on COM3, my problem is, I don't have a COM port three, I only have COM1. No matter what I do, I cannot change it to COM1. If I try to manually install it, I have no options for COM ports. Any suggestions? Thanks, Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Modem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Modem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2004 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem

Many struggle with this, but here's the brutal issue. If you have an onboard serial port, it's at COM1. You'll have to disable Serial1 in the BIOS and see if the modem falls into the COM1 place.

Remember that it's not a "real" serial port.

Bob

Collapse -
Unknown to most people. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 3, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

there are several thousand comm ports. Let the software install it where it wants to. XP will find it.

Collapse -
Re: Modem
by glb613 / July 3, 2004 10:48 PM PDT

Does it work properly? If so, don't worry about it.

Collapse -
Your ''lesson'' for today.
by Cursorcowboy / July 4, 2004 12:27 AM PDT

1. When a serial device is installed, an operating system and Windows automatically assigns one of four unused ports to internal serial adapters as shown in this list:

COM1 at 3F8 IRQ4
COM2 at 2F8 IRQ3
COM3 at 3E8 IRQ4
COM4 at 2E8 IRQ3

a. External ports:

(1) Most computers come with two external COM Ports (COM1 and COM2, usually a DB9 and a DB24 jack on the back of a computer or at least a place on the mom-board providing a means of adding an extension adapter for this purpose).

(2) Even if nothing is connected though an external connector, the two mentioned ports may still be in a reserved status (used) - simply because they are in the "Turned ON" status set by an option provided in a system BIOS. If no external port adapters are used, these two ports may be turned OFF in the system BIOS so that other internal serial devices may use either the COM1 or COM2 as necessary.

Caveat: If a serial device has a nonstandard base address - whether PnP or not, or should none of the above fore mentioned ports be available for assignment, Windows may automatically assigns a port "COM5", or higher when necessary. However, even though Windows does, the use of such a port or the device may be inoperable. Please read these two Microsoft Knowledge base articles, "Intel DSVD Modem Not Detected by Windows 98" and "Using Zoom Comstar Plug and Play Modems with Windows".

b. Port used/assigned in Windows:

(1) A port or ports already assigned (active) or were active when Windows was initially installed such as ports COM1 and COM2 fore mentioned and currently listed in Device Manager, they are unavailable for use until turned OFF in the system BIOS options and their listing removed from Device Manager and the computer rebooted so Windows can purge their information from the registry.

(2) After installing an internal modem or connecting an external modem to the external port connector or any other serial device, a port listing may not be reflected in Device Manager. To determine the port assignment for such devices, click that device in Device Manager and check in Properties.

Note: To use certain real mode commands such as the ECHO command at the command prompt for certain serial devices, this may not work if the real-mode driver(s), which came with the device, is not installed in the Autoexec.bat and/or Config.sys files. That device's installation wizard determines the appropriate files and entries or should. Therefore, connections using a modem with HyperTerminal, Dial-Up Networking, Phone Dialer or any other 32-bit communications program, may not work properly.

2. Some if not many 16-bit applications which rely on port settings might not be able to access ports higher than four. Consequently, a user may find that other devices must be deleted and/or removed to free up a port.

Note: In PnP BIOS are usually options to set certain IRQs for an ISA legacy device and remove it from a PnP selection. When the IRQ is removed by this means, it does not play a part in the subsequent PnP selection between all other PnP devices. Check your manual if interested further.

3. We all know the default COM1 is 3F8H-IRQ4 and COM2 is 2F8H-IRQ3. When attempting to use a third ports, then COM3 3E8H must be assigned a different IRQ. This also applies when assigning a device to COM4 2E8H. " IOW", each port must has an individual and available IRQ which no other device uses. Please read the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

a. "Err Msg: Another Program Is Using the Selected Telephony....

b. "Basic Configurations for COM Ports in Windows 95Q123992.

Note: The configuration options explained in this article make it easier for you to avoid hardware conflicts by letting you easily change a COM setting. These Basic Configurations provide the following:

(1) A default configuration for each comport. You cannot change this default setting.

(2) Additional configurations for each port that lets you edit the IRQ setting. These configurations do not let you change I/O addresses.

(3) Additional configurations for each port that lets you edit both the IRQ and the I/O range.

5. Most devices cannot share IRQ settings, memory buffer addresses, or ROM addresses. Where possible, Windows will identify and resolves conflicts. However, if one of the supported devices does not seem to work, the problem may be the particular hardware configuration. To make sure there are no conflicts among peripherals or between the system board and adapters, is to check the settings in Device Manager. Examples of Hardware Resource Settings:

a. I/O Address Range - Specifies the reserved memory address range (as a hexadecimal value) that a device can use for temporary storage of I/O data.

b. Interrupt (IRQ) - Specifies the hardware line over which the device can send interrupts (requests for service) to the computer's CPU.

c. Memory Address - Specifies the base memory address (as a hexadecimal value) used by this device. This number must match the adapter's memory address settings, as specified in the documentation.

6. For Plug and Play-compliant devices there are no true default settings. Instead, Windows identifies devices and their resource requests and then arbitrates requests among them. If no other device requests the same resources as another device, its settings should not change. If another device requests its resources, the settings might change to accommodate the request. Consequently, you should never change resource settings for a Plug and Play-compliant device unless absolutely necessary. Doing so will lock its settings, making it impossible for Windows to grant another device's request to use that resource.

Note: Serial ports of HCF modems do not use a COM port - they create a virtual one. They do not appear in Device Manager in the Ports section as you might expect. To view a modem's resource when listed, click the modem in Device Manager and then click Properties.

Caveat: Any time a modem is being changed, be sure to remove any and all remnants of the old modem listed in the Control Panel and Device Manager when listed, and the port where it resided. Unless each and every one is removed, Windows will usually assume the device and assignment are still valid.

a. To install a new Plug and Play-compliant device:

(1) Install the device in the computer following the manufacturer's instructions with the computer off

(2) Boot the computer to load Windows

(3) Windows will notify you when it detects a new device and make an attempt to assign drivers, or you may be asked to insert a disk to provide them. Simply insert the driver disk from your manufacturer and point Windows to it.

b. To install a legacy device:

(1) Install the device in the computer following the manufacturer's instructions with the computer off

(2) Boot the computer and load Windows

(3) Windows may notify you when it has detected a new device and make an attempt to assign drivers and it may not. If you are asked to insert a disk to provide them, do so. If it does, then simply insert the driver disk from your manufacturer and point Windows to it and follow the instruction is #7 above for "Plug and Play-compliant devices" and skip the rest of this paragraph. Otherwise keep reading.

(4) Once Windows loads, access the Control Panel, and double-click Add New Hardware, Next, Automatically Detect Installed Hardware.

c. Continue following the instructions on the screen to install drivers and to configure them.

Note: Should there be no selection for a device or no drivers for use in the Windows default, point Windows to the media provided by the manufacturer.

=or=

d. You may have to:

(1) In the Add New Hardware wizard, click Next, and then click Install Specific Hardware.

(2) In the list of hardware devices, click a device class, and then click Next.

(3) In the next Add New Hardware dialog box, specify the manufacturer and model of the device, and then click Have Disk.

(4) In the Install From Disk dialog box, type the path name to the driver files, and then click OK or use the Browse button to find it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?