PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Mobo Swap

by phill85 / June 29, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

Ok, ive managed to obtain a cheap pentium 4 2ghz system, to replace the durno 1ghz system at my church.

The current system is used to project the words to the songs so it has two graphics cards (for dula scrren display, one to a monitor, and one to a projector)

Here is the spec of the current system
Duron 1ghz
ECS Elite Group K7S5A Mother Board (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?detailid=74&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=K7S5A%20%20(V1.1)&CategoryID=1&MenuID=82&LanID=0)
ATI RV2P-B3 PCI Graphics card DVI, VGA and component out (sorry couldnt find specs)
Aopen 02948V1 AGP VGA out (sorry couldnt find any specs)

The new system:
P4 2ghz
MSI MS6526 ver 3 (http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=1&prod_no=491)

I dont tink i will need to use the on borad vga of the mother board, or the agp graphics card, as the projector has a dvi connection, but my question is could if needed? Both have agp 4x slots, but the MSI states that it must be a 1.5v card are all agp 4x cards 1.5 volt?

Thanks Phill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobo Swap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobo Swap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"the MSI states that it must be a 1.5v card are all agp 4x
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Mobo Swap

"the MSI states that it must be a 1.5v card are all agp 4x cards 1.5 volt?"

No. When I read this it states that for 4X the card must support 1.5 Volt.

It's very confusing to most that the AGP voltage is not set by the motherboard but by the card you put in. And there are KEYS in the slots to stop you from plugging in an incompatible card.

Sorry but I decline to re-explain this further.
Bob

Collapse -
But can the card be straight swaped?
by phill85 / June 29, 2008 1:14 AM PDT

thanks bob, the ECS board manual states that the agp slot is 2.0 complient, so could the card be swaped over directly with out finding the spefication of hte card?

Phill

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

I noted the keys to stop you from plugging in a card that won't be compatible. What more could we need to know?

Collapse -
lol
by phill85 / June 29, 2008 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

just noticed you were my lecturer at wiltshire college :-D yeah?

Collapse -
sorry to be a complete pain
by phill85 / June 30, 2008 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

managed to find out more info on the gfx card, the modle is GF4MX440SE-V64(A8) and can be found at this page: http://global.aopen.com/Museum.aspx

under apg it says: "AGP Bus Rate : 1X, 2X, 4X" this doesnt tell me that its 1.5v. So can it be said that its compatable, the keying on the card is done by two slots, in the old motherboard, none?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.