PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Mobo problem?

by Simlhawk / February 5, 2010 4:45 AM PST

Hey everyone,

My friend just gave me a few computers that were having problems, and wanted me to make one out of them. I decided to use the newest mobo, the Gigabyte GA7KML (AMIBIOS) and realised is wouldnt boot. No fans, nothing. I changed the PSU, and was happy to see the fans going (They were going full speed, no slowing down.), but my satisfaction was short. I quickly realised that no video was coming out through the vga port. Not only that, but three short beeps would come out ONLY when I plugged in the monitor. I decided to install a graphic card, to try to get an image appear on the monitor. Still, no video (But the beeping stopped). I have tried three graphic cards but to no avail. I tried swapping the ram with many other ram modules, still nothing. There are few things I have yet to try.

1.)Resetting the CMOS.
This one I'm not too sure how to do, but I'm sure the manual would tell me how.

2.)Disabling onboard graphics.
I looked in the manual and from what I know theres a way to do that by going into the bios, which I cant do. Infact I believe the mobo wont post at all.

3.)Swapping the PSU.
I doubt its this, but it could be.

4.)Letting it run for about an hour, maybe letting it post
I read somewhere that sometimes a computer takes ages to post, you just need to give it some time.

If I could get some help that'd be great. Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobo problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobo problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Mobo problem?
Collapse -
My bad
by Simlhawk / February 5, 2010 10:35 AM PST
In reply to: Link please.

Ok sorry its the Gigabyte GA7vkm

I dont know why I got that wrong. And yes there is ram in the machine, I have tried many different (compatible) ram modules. Plust the RAMLLED is on and stable.

Collapse -
Urrg
by Simlhawk / February 5, 2010 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Link please.

I keep messing up. Its (This time I know for sure) the GA-7VKML

Collapse -
three short beeps, indicating Bad Base 64K Memory
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Urrg

"three short beeps, indicating Bad Base 64K Memory"

This points to missing or incompatible ram.

The basics here are.

1. Make sure the power supply is connected proper. I DID NOT read the full manual but if there is an ATX12V connection, connect it.
2. CLEAR THE CMOS. I've seen this happen on machines where the owner had overclocked.
3. If the prior owner had updated the bios and failed, the cost of fixing this issue usually costs more than another board!
Bob

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2010 11:35 AM PST

4. Use ONE STICK of RAM. Try each slot per test power up.

Collapse -
Ok
by Simlhawk / February 5, 2010 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: PS.

If there is ATX12V, I dont know where it is, but I will check the manual.

The power supply is plugged in properly, I have cleared the CMOS, but it still doesnt have video.

I have tried with different ram, one in each slot... etc... but I still get the same beeps.

I doubt that the prior user has tried updating the bios. They werent that technologically advanced.

Collapse -
RAM that was in one of the 3 original computers...
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

If you're using RAM that was in one of the 3 original computers; it could quite possibly be the wrong type for this motherboard (meaning the wrong speed), or it was dead in the first place-hence the 3 beeps on every posting.
It would be best if you could swap these sticks out for either new DDR memory sticks, or try to find some kicking around because it sounds as if these ones are dead.

Also, here is the Gigabyte link for downloading the manual:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1306

Collapse -
So far
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: Ok

All signs point to bad, incompatible ram or blown motherboard.

I know a few new techs that thought that if the stick fits it is compatible!
Bob

Collapse -
Darn capacitators...
by Simlhawk / February 6, 2010 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: So far

I was using ram from my home computer that was compatible with the mobo (I read the manual to find what types of ram it took). It didnt work.

After looking at this: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

I determined that I had bad capacitators. Time for me to get a new mobo.

Collapse -
Bad caps, bad caps, what you gonna do?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Darn capacitators...

At least the mystery is solved sort of. I haven't seen the 3 beep failure mode with bad caps yet but given what caps do, it's not any long stretch to think that's it.

Bob

Collapse -
Perhaps you can attach a picture
by Brechan / February 6, 2010 8:21 AM PST

of your motherboard to your next reply so that we can check if we can see if indeed you do have bad caps.

Not that we don't believe you, just seems odd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?