PC Hardware forum

General discussion

mobo died (i think)-- now what?

hello all,

well it seems I manage to kill a computer once a year-- all I did was re-hook up a third hard drive . . . It booted up after the change, then I saw a brief blue screen of death (something about a memory dump) and poof. note, the drive hooked up was a pre-existing one that has worked fine for a year, I had taken it out only briefly to test another newer drive that was also working fine. neither was the c drive. long story short, it's not the drive causing this.

It seems to be the mobo -- no beeps, no POST, no video, the harddrive light comes on and stays on. swapping memory= no help. I don't have another AMD chip to swap in here.

So this WAS an MSI board with an AMD 1800 chip. I have pc-133 memory and i really don't need any more system speed than this one. I would like to get a new mobo that takes the existing pc133 memory and other PCI/AGP cards. either intel or AMD would be fine. any suggestions before I delve into microcenter, circuit city, and tiger direct? thanks! - fj

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mobo died (i think)-- now what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mobo died (i think)-- now what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: mobo died (i think)-- now what?

In reply to: mobo died (i think)-- now what?

Your systoms suggest a power supply that doesn't work. ATX type p/s units provide alot of voltages and any one will bring it down. Its the least or taken for granted componet of a system. That 3rd HD, may have been the last straw even if it did it before, starting-up a system makes alot of demands and a generic or under-rated p/s can be "stressed" and thus break, sooner or later. Even, if you get a new mtrbd. you *maybe* looking for a new p/s as well or find out, its good insurance to have a higher rated wattage unit plus make it a namebrand one, like Enermax or Antec. Its not uncommon to see 400W+ units and 500W+ are offered as well.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
more info

In reply to: Re: mobo died (i think)-- now what?

well I have a 400 w enermax ps in there . . . it has run 3 drives in the past no problem. the lack of beep tells me it's the mobo, I am hoping to just have to replace that and not buld a whole new system with board, cpu, new faster memory, etc. am off to the store to buy a new mobo!

I am assuming that, if it was the CPU gone bad, the mobo would give me a beep? I still get the flash of the lights on the keyboard when I powerup . - fj

Collapse -
Re: more info

In reply to: more info

5V and 12V are the most sturdy of the voltages and they power the kybd. and HDs, etc. those LEDs may light. The 3.3V on the other hand really wakes-up the mtrbd. and if goes, you got problems, I include the voltages only as an example, but still they could be weak. In no way, can you really tell, as the ATX needs to be driven by all. You can try an ATX p/s tester which lights-up the tester, only $20 or less, if you like.

You shoudl reduce the system to bare miniums, no HDs, CDs, only kybd. FD, 1-ram bank/slot and a bootable floppy and check results. Yes, a cpu could fail but it rarely happens unless too hot or improper install(early on). I take nothing for granted, trust nothing, test elsewhere or feel comfortable with. I've had rebiuld systems fail, taking down the good part as a 2-part problem blew the new part. Also, its possible that you maybe experiencing the "bad capacitors" scenerio, as past bad caps tend to blow or burst, inspect the caps very closely as they were a big problem 12-14mos. ago and still are from time to time.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Re: mobo died (i think)-- now what?

In reply to: mobo died (i think)-- now what?

I think that all that is needed to get the bios to squall is psu, mobo, cpu/hsf.

If it does with just those parts then build up.

If it does not then your down to three parts.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.