Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Mobile WiFi Internet adapter with PoE?

by EssenceSr / June 26, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

I'm part of a Tech Support department of 50 located along the Gulf Coast. In years past we have found hurricanes and other disasters may have forced Engineers to work from home or out of hotel rooms for several weeks. Since that time we are now using VoIP phones that require a power over Ethernet (PoE) LAN connection. Along with the phone we already have an external power brick that we can take home that supplies the PoE LAN connection. However, that requires that you have access to the router so you can run a physical cable from the router to the power brick.

That's fine when you are at your own house and have access to your own router. But in the case of a hotel, you can't run a cable to the router. Many hotels have gone to wireless only and don't have a physical LAN jack to plug into. So I've been looking at something like the Netgear WNCE3001 Dual-Band Internet Adapter. That will supply a physical LAN connection from WiFi only. But it does not have PoE. So now if we are going to work from a hotel room, we need the VoIp phone, the power brick and the WiFi Internet adapter. 3 seperate items to lug around.

Is there such a device that would allow you to pickup a WiFi signal in a hotel room and has a physical LAN jack that is also capable of PoE? I could at least lose the power brick then.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobile WiFi Internet adapter with PoE?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobile WiFi Internet adapter with PoE?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Voip
by bill012 / June 26, 2012 6:55 AM PDT

I guess it depends what you mean by VoIP. If all you want to do is make calls via internet many of the newer cell phones have the ability to make skype or other "VoIP" calls directly over a wifi network. There are of course many phones that will directly talk to skype or vontage or whatever via wifi also.

Now if you mean you are using something like a H.323 or SIP based phone to connect to a corporate VoIP network then it gets more complex but there are phones that will connect directly via wireless it just gets complex if you have a vpn layer on top of it. Lately I have been using a app that runs on a android based cell phone that lets me use SIP over WIFI to access a corporate network.

Collapse -
Answer
Voip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 1:06 AM PDT

I found the maker of the PoE phones had solutions for things like this. Your new IT staffers often forget to ask the makers about this so back to the PoE phone maker and see what they offer.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!