Laptops forum

General discussion

Mobile Athlon 64 -- Nomenclature Nightmare

by Ryan T / January 5, 2005 12:05 AM PST

Okay so let's talk about the new Athlon 64's. How are we going to know the difference between them and the old ones?

I thought initially that the new ones would be billed "Mobile Athlon 64", as opposed to "Athlon 64 for Notebooks", which is from AMD.com.

From that I extrapolated that the Emachines M6810 uses the new chip, because their site says "Mobile Athlon 64."

Now I'm using a Compaq R3340US and it was bought in November 04. It says "Mobile Athlon 64" on the sticker but it's eaten 10% of the battery in 15 minutes so I'm guessing it's the old one.

Does anyone have any more solid info on this new chip?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mobile Athlon 64 -- Nomenclature Nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mobile Athlon 64 -- Nomenclature Nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Better naming options.
by are_emm / January 5, 2005 4:25 AM PST

I agree. I read some information on AMD's website, as well as a few others, and found it very confusing. On one hand, Mobile AMD 64 sounds like the "new" version, yet I too have seen it used in the past. They really should have come up with a better naming standard, much like Intel did with their "Centrino" standard. At least in that case you know exactly what you're getting. maybe AMD needs to hire a better advertising/marketing firm to help them in their product naming schemes.

I'm holding out for the new chips, but I hope I can tell the difference once they actually arrive.

Collapse -
How about "Bambino"?
by Ryan T / January 5, 2005 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Better naming options.

I agree. They need a name. Then again, they've been unclear with their desktop naming systems too. Which is better? Sempron or Opteron? I mean with Athlon and Duron it was easy to tell which one was weaker. Duron just sounded crappy. But I can't tell with any of these other names.

So Bambino is an option. It makes you think of Centrino and italian food at the same time. Two things everybody likes.

Or maybe Octoron. 8^2 is 64 . . . a nod to the 8 might be a good way to go. Or Octosquaron.

I mean it seems like right now since there is a "New" A64 3200+ and an "Old" A64 3200+ . . . how will we know when the new chips are on the market?

Collapse -
Athlon 64 size/weight battery life a key to overtaking M
by KenSanramon / January 5, 2005 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: How about "Bambino"?

If these new Athlon 64 low voltage cpus don't lead to at least 3-4 hour battery life (Pentium M is 3.5-5 hours on average) and lower notebook weights and thinner notebooks than the Pentium M will still control that market.

The promise is that the Athlon low voltage design will offer 64 bit and Pentium M like size/weight/battery life.

We shall see........(note that the Pentium M Sonoma upgrade with improved video and sound is also looming)

Collapse -
Here's something to look for:
by Ryan T / January 5, 2005 7:26 AM PST

I found the logo for the new A64s . . .it's Red, not orange.

http://www.e4me.com/news/images/amd_64m_logo.gif

It's from the eMachines site, but if you go there, you'll see that the 6810 has been REMOVED! The only thing left is a Sempron notebook. Interesting.

Collapse -
Acer Ferrari 3200 -- Coming soon to an america near you
by Ryan T / January 6, 2005 11:17 PM PST

If you go to NewEgg.com, they have the European Acer Ferrari 3200. It features the Mobile Athlon 64 2800+ and a 15.0" SXGA+. It rates the weight at 6.6lbs, and the average battery life as 3.0 hrs.

This looks promising, though at $1900, it would be best to wait until its actually sold in the US, and more models become prevalent. Prices should normalize then.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?