Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

MLK papers to find home at Morehouse College

by EdH / June 24, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MLK papers to find home at Morehouse College
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MLK papers to find home at Morehouse College
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good.
by Evie / June 24, 2006 12:30 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This is very good news.
by Ziks511 / June 25, 2006 8:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
The price was...
by J. Vega / June 25, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

The price was 32 million dollars. I'm puzzled that the CNN story said " an undisclosed amount of money", as that story and amount was at the top of the front page in that morning's Atlanta paper. I suppose someone at some other bureau, like New York, could have written that story.

Collapse -
Is that for sure?
by EdH / June 25, 2006 11:18 AM PDT
In reply to: The price was...

Or was that the projected price for the auction that was cancelled? Good deal for the family.

Collapse -
No,
by duckman / June 25, 2006 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that for sure?

I'ts a good deal for the government as that will be taxed at a rather high rate. Imagine the refund if donated

Collapse -
MLK papers to stay in Atlanta
by Mark5019 / June 25, 2006 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that for sure?

The collection of manuscripts and books that was to be auctioned at Sotheby?s within a week was purchased by a group of influential black citizens who will ensure the collection stays in King?s hometown of Atlanta.

The collection of manuscripts and papers of Martin Luther King Jr., originally set to be auctioned at Sotheby?s in New York later this month, have been purchased by a group of influential black citizens so the collection can remain in Kings? hometown of Atlanta.

The compilation, which includes thousands of Kings? writings, including his famous ?I have a dream? speech, was sold for $32 million to a group including former United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young and Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin.

"They really are remarkable, wonderful and important and moving documents,? said David Redden, Sotheby's vice-chairman. ?I'm so thrilled that you will have them in Atlanta.?

The collection, which also includes about a thousand of King?s personal books, will be given to Morehouse College in Atlanta, where King graduated in 1948. Morehouse is the nation's largest private liberal-arts college for black men.

Civil and business leaders worried the papers being sold by King's children would leave Atlanta, where King was born and where he and his widow are buried.

"The value of this collection goes so far beyond anything that you can put a price on,? Redden said. ?This collection is filled with some of the most sacred documents of America.?

http://thecelebritycafe.com/features/6322.html

Collapse -
BS- I'm just glad........(nothing personal)
by lylesg / July 21, 2006 12:33 PM PDT

they turned the US Dept. of Parks and Rec's. offer of 20,000,000.00 down. The fed's offered to buy the papers and display them right here in Atlanta, but the King kids said NO, they wanted more money and they wanted to retain copyright's to every single document as they currently do. They are a greedy bunch and that family has robbed the King Center here in Atlanta blind. The facility is in ill need of repair, but there is no money to pay for the repairs. However, various members of King's family do own their own businesses and they hire out as ''consultants'' etc. for the Center and they've bled it dry including taxpayer monies donated by the Fed's.

I'm not saying that the King family should have donated his papers to the govt., although typically most family's likely would donate such documents, but that the success of the Civil Rights movement was/is something we've all contributed to as a nation and it's not entirely all about the King family. I am saying that they are a greedy bunch and that the maintenance of the MLK Center will continue to be neglected and that the King family will soon enough start crying about the lack of funds and insist that taxpayers do their part .........

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!