Question

MKV & MP4 Files Won't Play Anymore

Hello,

Within the last week I've noticed that my MKV and MP4 files will either not play at all or play with no sound. Any file over 3gb is where this problem is happening. I've had these files for awhile and they used to play but now I'm having a problems. I experience this problem playing via WMP and streaming to TV. Any help to get things back on track would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: MKV & MP4 Files Won't Play Anymore
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: MKV & MP4 Files Won't Play Anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Use system restore to go back to when it worked.

And "out of the box" WMP doesn't play many MKV and MP4 files. To do that you had to install a CODEC. I'll stop here since most know what a CODEC is.
Bob

- Collapse -
MKV & MP4

Yeah I know I can't remember the codecs I originally installed. Are you aware of anyway I can look that up? Also I'm screwed because for some odd reasons my sustem restore fails when I try to initiate it. Besides the computer problem what could be the cause for the files to stop playing when I hook the external drive up directly to my tv?

- Collapse -
About this and that.

This -> System Restore troubles are LEGENDARY. If you have Norton, Kapersky and who knows what else for security you get to do something special to use System Restore. It's your easy way to fix this.

That -> Codecs. I use tools like MEDIA INFO to inspect the files and get suggestions for codecs.

Other -> Most TVs can't handle a lot of encodings. It's a deep subject where make and model matter but so far, not one TV allows us to install other decoders and players.

-> For now, to play content on the PC a big nod to VLC PLAYER.

In parting, stop encoding so wildly. Pick something and stick with it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
MKV / MP4 missing codecs

For Missing Codecs Issue:
Get the "DivX Plus Codec Pack" from the DivX website which has all the codecs you're missing. I also highly recommend using GOM Player or VLC Player instead of Windows Media Player.

For System Restore Issue:
When system restore stops working, it's usually due to a virus of some kind or not enough space on your hard drive. You probably won't be able to recover any previous restore points if it is due to a virus, your best bet is to get anti-virus like MalwareBytes or Comodo to get rid of the bug then try to create a new restore point from there. If it still doesn't work, odds are a virus has deleted the files in your "C:/windows/restore" folder. Sad

- Collapse -
Codecs and System Restore

So I decided to give streaming the mkv to my tv and it now works perfectly fine.
But I'm still not able to play them on my PC. I've always had Divx Codecs and
Malwarebytes on my computer. I also have spybot and trend micro. I'm gonna try VLC.
If a virus has deleted restore files any advice on how to repair that?

- Collapse -
So far, no known way to restore restore files.

Plenty of ways to break System Restore. Some are odd like Norton and Kapersky. Can't quite give those companies a nice word due to that continuing issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
System Restore Help

Awesome! I'm glad to hear the media issue is partially solved. Grin As for the System Restore issue, I made an error in the file path name, it should be under "C:/Windows/System32/Restore" for XP machines, look for a file named "rstrui.exe". For windows Vista or 7, the file path name is "C:\System Volume Information" but also should have the rstrui file. There are a few other files that should be in the restore folder and if any of them are missing or corrupted, then the restore function for your computer cannot be fixed unless you reinstall Windows which might be more trouble than it's worth.

One of my computers had a bug that wiped out the contents of the restore folder also but I left it as is. I just reinstalled any software that wasn't working properly and have to do that anytime something doesn't work properly on that particular machine. It's easier than reinstalling windows and losing everything on that hard drive.

Hopefully that helps! Grin

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks to everyone that provided input

- Collapse -
:D

No problem man! I find WinHelpOnline.com and CNet.com to be the 2 best sources for help when trying to find solutions for computer related problems and always glad to help out if I can just the same way others have also helped me out in the past. Grin

CNET Forums