Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Mitsubishi WD-52631 Airflow Problems.

by patsat / February 13, 2007 1:00 AM PST

Recently bought the mitsubishi 52" DLP. Recently, I've been getting the message 'TV will shut off in a few seconds. Please check the airflow filter is not blocked.'
Has anybody else had this problem?

The TV sits in an entertainment center with an open back. The distance between the air filters on the side and the cabinet sides is 8inches. Have about 1.5 feet at the back.

Before the tech guys came out, they requested that I turn the tv off for 10mins and let it reset itself. No joy.
When the tech guys did come out they said that my entertainment center might be impacting the airflow. He 'explained' that the air filter system on these DLP's is like your air conditioning units ie. sucks in cold air one side and blows out the hot air on the other. He said that if the air flow around the tv is restricted, the intake might be sucking in the hot exhaust air. OK...that made sense at the time. But afterwards, I was thinking...this issue typically happens when I come home from work(tv has been off for at least 10hrs) and I switch it on. There is no hot air to be sucked in! The tv then switches itself off and the little yellow status indicator light comes on. The manual says that this indicates that the ambient room temperature is too high...its 70 degrees, and I'm not talking celcius either. Is the natural habitat for this tv with the penguins?
Anyway, I call up the repair store and explain this little detail to them, thinking it might help diagnose the issue. The girl tells me that the tv fan is operating ALL the time..uuhhhh..honey, i'm talkin bout the tv fan, not the ceiling fan! You can hear the fan on these DLP's, especially when you shut the tv off and its doing level 1 cooling sequence...maybe i need to replace the dilithium crystals.
There ya have it. Thats what i'm dealing with. Nightmare. Oh..i did try to call Mitsubishi support. Got talking to a girl with an indian accent named 'Elaine'..riiight! She tells me to hit the reset button on the front of the tv. Haven't tried that one yet.
Would welcome any posts/comments

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mitsubishi WD-52631 Airflow Problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mitsubishi WD-52631 Airflow Problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you or the tech guy check the air filters????
by jcrobso / February 13, 2007 3:29 AM PST

Maybe the fan is not working correctly.
How long does it that from the time you turn the set on until you get the failure?
Also a faulty temperature sensor may be the problem.
I saw this on big LCD projector, we changed the lamp and it is still working. John

Collapse -
Did you or the tech guy check the air filters????
by patsat / February 13, 2007 4:46 AM PST

John,
thanks for the post. Error messages displays as soon as I turn on the tv. I'll post back the repair shop findings.
Patrick

Collapse -
Same problem
by ditkas89 / February 16, 2007 11:31 PM PST

i, started having the same problem with my WD-65731, the first time I did hit the reset in the front and it worked fine for about a week and then it did it again Friday night and Ive reset it probably a half dozen time and used air to clean out the filter grating. no luck. If I find anything else I will post it.

Collapse -
Me Too
by jem174 / February 18, 2007 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I have the 65" Mitsubishi DLP. I get the same message in the morning when I first turn on the TV and sometimes throughout the day. I either reset or wait till the light stops blinking and turn the TV back on and Im good for awhile. Mitsubishi better get on the ball and take care of this...its really annoying.

Collapse -
Same Problem
by terrapinball / February 19, 2007 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: Me Too

I have the WD-52725 and I get the same problem once a month. The message appears, the TV shuts off and the red light comes on. I need to hit reset or unplug the TV for it to get back on.

Strange thing is the if I grab the remote fast enough and hit cancel then it wont shut off

Collapse -
Misery loves company
by ditkas89 / February 20, 2007 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Same Problem

Well , so far no luck with Mitsubishi, they called me once at work but I couldnt stay on. I gave them all my info and they said they would call back at lunch, ya and the checks in the mail. Still no call. The reset button worked once for me and then about a week later it did it agai. I have taken out the bulb inspected those screen filters. cleanes all the vents and hit reset and unplugged it for hours and no dice. I havent tried the cancel yet but, I would hate to disable a self protection filter if indeed the fans were not working properly. Im sure they would jump at the chance to void a warranty. After alot of research it seems like anyone whoa has had service techs come out end up changing the fans the temp sensor and then the control board. Seems like a common problem so I would hope they would get a handle on it soon. I will post any results I get . Good luck to everyone.

Collapse -
Same tv the 65" one
by Brent_mantra / February 27, 2008 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Me Too

I have the exact same problem, my tv air flow isnt blocked and it keeps shutting off and off this time it has been doing this since last night and all thew the morning. Now i am forced to use my computer instead of watching tv!!!! this sucks whats next my computer is going to go out and im going to be forced to read a booK!!!

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WD-65731 Airflow problem - sensor problem?
by Black6209 / February 24, 2007 2:38 AM PST

I have been having the same problem with the yellow light coming on and a message on the screen saying the TV will shut down and then it does. Manual says room temperature is too high or airflow is blocked, but neither is true. Had serviceman out in January 2007 and he reseated the temperature sensor, and said it was a common problem with Mitsubishi. Now it is doing the same thing again, only 6 weeks later, so we will have to have serviceman out again. Luckily the set is still under warranty, as we bought it August of 2006.

Collapse -
FROM ALL YOUR POSTS MAYBE MITSU SHOULD RECALL...........
by Riverledge / February 24, 2007 11:11 AM PST

THESE RP-TVs. A class action suit, perhaps. AS a SONY owner this is disappionting as I've looked at many MITSUs for another room.
Best of luck to all.

river.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WD-65731 Airflow problem? Sensor problem? *SOLVED
by Black6209 / March 9, 2007 8:11 AM PST

Repairman came out and replaced "thermistor". So far this has fixed the problem. On the first repair call, the repairman only "reseated" the thermister. By the way, I never had an airflow problem - it was only the thermister reporting it that way. Don't know what a thermistor is, but so far so good!

Collapse -
I am looking for a how replace the thermister on a 52725
by Phantom47862 / March 12, 2008 1:13 PM PDT

I have the same problem and have replaced the lamp and the ballast on the main board. Seven months after the repair the air flow is now the problem.

Collapse -
Mitsubishi WD-65731 Airflow problem SOLVED.................
by self-help-net / March 27, 2011 10:58 AM PDT

Problem solved for at least the time being. 65 inch model. we've been fighting this off and on for awhile trying to figure out where air flow might be blocked, this appears to be it for us. Previous to this we pulled the bulb blew the dust off the little screen and it seemed to do the trick for a while but several months later reoccured, now the procedure below seems to have brought cure to our set, so hope this helps.

1 Unplug and remove power from tv set.
2 Remove rear panel on back of set
3 Find grey metal box with small fan
4 Use compressed air and aim threw fan to clean cooling fins behind. Put finger on fan to keep it from rotating faster than it was proably ment to before hitting it with compreesed air. Work it around and aim inside that box. When you dont see dust flying anymore thats proably good enough. EYE PROTECTION OF COURSE!
5 Reassemble, tv doesnt operate with panel or bulb out of place.

This worked for me, hope it helps you.

Collapse -
AIRFLOW PROBLEMS 65-831 purchased in Nov 2006
by distantsun / February 27, 2007 12:14 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I first got the message about a month ago. Turning the tv off and back on fixed the problem. It happened a few more times over the month but was fixed by turning the TV off and back on.
Last night the moment I turned the TV on I had the message. The Yellow warning light is a steady glow. I tried a re-set which worked to turn off the warning light. But the moment I turned the TV on the warning displayed again. My room is about 65 degrees and nothing is blocking the vents. Has anyone been told what the actual problem and fix is?

Collapse -
RE: AIRFLOW PROBLEMS 65-831 purchased in Nov 2006
by patsat / February 27, 2007 12:34 AM PST

When the 'techs' came out to my house, the first thing they said was that entertainment center might be an issue. The distance from the side vents to the cabinet sides is 8 inches and open at the back and about 1 - 2 feet gap at the top. Ample room, one would think. They basically described the air filter system is like your a/c vent...sucks cold air in one side and blows hot air out the other. They said that the hot air might be circulating back to the intake and account for the sensor going off. Ok..that makes sense if you have the tv in a closed cabinet or a closet. My issue always pops up when i get home from work and first turn on the tv. They also said that the internal fan is on ALL the time, even when the tv is turned off. It will be going at a slower speed, but is always turning. Still, I can't feel any hot air at the outtake vent and even still, a 52 inch tv or 65 is quite distance for that hot air to travel around and make an impact on the intake!! Like you, 'distantsun', my room temp is around 70, which shouldn't be impacting the tv's funtionality.
Anyways, the techs took the tv away, couldn't reproduce the problem and basically, brought the tv back to me. It still happens sporadically to me and is quite annoying. I've even put a fan pointing towards the back of the tv to help circulate the air better.
The only saving grace that I have, is that I bought the warranty. My next step is to take away the sides of the entertainment center and leave the tv just sitting on the base unit. If the problem still persists, then I'm bringing it back for a new unit.
Oh yeah..a work friend of mine has the exact same tv as I do, and his tv is in a built in wall unit with hardly any space at the side..guess what..he doesn't have any problems!

Collapse -
AIRVENTS
by distantsun / February 27, 2007 1:41 AM PST

As info my TV is sitting on an open stand with nothing blocking any vents. I just called Mits and the ding dongs I talked to have no clue about this being an issue. I will let you know what their techs say.

Collapse -
RE: Airvents
by patsat / February 27, 2007 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: AIRVENTS

That is interesting that you have you're tv sitting on just a base unit. I tried calling mitsubishi as well - was like talking to the back of a bus! Look forward to your next post.

Collapse -
Guys coming out tomorrow
by ditkas89 / February 27, 2007 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: AIRVENTS

The service rep is coming out tomorrow, I told them to bring a control board. I watched the small fan on one of the boards when I turned on the set and it was running fine, I did notice on mine(WD-65731) that the louder fan, I assume it is direct cooling for the lamp is shutting off. Since it starts I figure it isnt a fan motor problem, but that the main board is telling the fan to shut off, and I also figure that in addition to temerature measuring instruments, these sets also have some sort of differential pressure sensor to measure airflow. If the fan shuts down it will immediately sense no flow of course and shut down. So I'm guessing that most of these issues are coming from the main control board. I will post whatever this servicer does. Ive tried everything I can from resets to cleaning side vents, rear vents and removing the lamp and inspecting those filters. Im sure they(Mits) will figure this thing out. I will post the results. Good luck to everyone.

Collapse -
AIRFLOW
by distantsun / February 27, 2007 5:56 AM PST

The service people I called can't get someone there until Friday.
I will be interested to here what they figure out on yours. I am a one TV family, so I guess it will be quite like Little House on the Prairie in my house.
What am I suppose to do, read:)

Collapse -
OTHER PLACES TO MAKE THIS ISSUE KNOWN
by distantsun / February 27, 2007 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: AIRFLOW
Collapse -
WD-65732 airflow problem message too
by slib02038 / February 28, 2007 11:35 PM PST

Please update us as to what the service man finds, my WD-65732 (3 months old) has done this 3 times so far, thanks.

Collapse -
wd-65732
by bahadirboga / December 24, 2007 1:28 AM PST

I dont have same problem, just last nite tv will not turn on.
i hit power, and there this hssssshh sound from tv speakers, and no picture, 1-2 min later tv shuts itself down.

I just bougtht my kids a new xbox 360

please someone with same problem contact me here...

thank you

Collapse -
MITSU.B.S. SAYS IT ALL
by blondewithiq / December 30, 2007 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: wd-65732

We were so excited and careful when we brought the beautiful big beast home just a few months ago. We set the energy savers and endured the super slow start up because we wanted to do everything and anything to prolong the life of our new treausure. It has gotten very little use since we usually watch tv in the office while playing on the computer so imagine the horror when it wouldn't turn on yesterday morning and unplugging and resetting are as useless as the customer service person at the mitsubishi call center. It had been fine the night before to watch a one hour show and then shutting it down and going to bed. IT DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, AFTER RESET THE LIGHT BLINKS LIKE IT WANTS TO COME ON AND MAKES LIKE A LOW HISSING SOUND AND NADA ZIP ZERO. IT'S A WD-52631 BOUGHT FROM COSTCO AND I'M WILLING TO TRY JUST TAKING IT BACK WITH THE RECEIPT AND GETTING A BETTER TV. Any idea what is wrong with it yet? This tv has less than 24 hours of use since purchased and if I had wanted to go through all the crap of having my brand new baby repaired and/or parts replaced I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TV FROM THE THRIFT STORE AND NOT spent a fortune on a brand new name brand which is now damaged goods and will surely give me multiple panic attacks in the future. With all the people bitching about these lemons you'd think we would have a recall or replace before they have a mob of pissed of people with a little too much time on their hands start a war.

Collapse -
Your Problem
by bird95134 / December 31, 2007 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: MITSU.B.S. SAYS IT ALL

Sorry to hear about the problem your tv is having. Hard to say what the problem may be. However, the tv does come with a 1 yr factory warranty and MITS will honor the warranty. You will need to call them and go through some Q & A, but they should set up an appointment to have a repair shop make a visit and fix the TV. I have owned many MITS TVs and will continue (either MITS or Sony). I did have the power airflow problem, as many have had as you read on this thread. Your problem does not sound, based on your description, to be the same. Give customer service a call, plan on an hour on the phone, but either they will have a simple fix or they will schedule a repair visit. Ensure you get the name and phone number of the repair shop. Call them and verify time of appointment. I would document as much as you can about the symptoms, what you have done, etc -- as I believe it helped with my problem. Good Luck and keep us posted on your process.

-bird

Collapse -
EUREKA!
by wiredtechie / May 20, 2010 11:46 AM PDT

Take out the lamp cartridge, not only is there a screen on the top and bottom, there is a 1/2" X 2" fine screen on one side. mine was COMPLETELY clogged with dust. You're welcome!

Collapse -
Mine got fixed yesterday
by dmspen / March 10, 2007 4:49 AM PST

The TV tech sent by Mitsu came out yesterday. He said the issue was the connector to the air flow sensor. All he did was open the back, remove the lamp, and tighten the connector. The error was gone and hasn't come back. We talked a bit about the problem and he said that they had done about 8 of these in the last month.

Collapse -
Update
by Bears131 / May 7, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

The service rep came out yesterday and repaired the tv. As others have said, the rep says he has had quite a few calls on this problem, and this years model seems to be the first with this issue. The part he brought out was the sensor (which is a small wire with a white sensor on the end). When he opened up and pulled out the sensor from my tv, it looked in pretty good shape, except the white sensor had been turned yellow from the heat. He replaced it and the tv has been working ok ever sense. He says he has not received any callbacks sense replacing these parts, but he doesnt know if enough time has passed since he did his first replacement in January - it may take 4 or 5 months to begin seeing the problem. He also says its possible Mitsubishi has toughened up the sensor so that may help as well. We shall see.

Collapse -
Same problem w/MITSU DLP-WD57732
by teek40 / June 2, 2007 4:35 AM PDT

Began receiving warnings message on screen "tv will shut off in a few seconds. Check to see if air flow is blocked. The TV is in a large open room, at a cool 66 degrees, with a ceiling fan, and sits alone on a stand (no cabinets around to block any air flow). I've read all the other posts (157!!) and it's clear that this is a manufacturing defect, and it should be recalled.
Please, Please, Please everyone logon to http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/j/i/18317/ContactInfo.html?mid=94333
or write to,
MITSUBISHI DIGITAL ELECTRONICS AMERICA, INC. (MDEA)
9351 Jeronimo Rd. Irvine, CA 92618
or e-mail to,
mdeaservice@mdea.com
and log the issue with them...IN WRITING.
There is strength in numbers, if everyone will do this, they will be more likely to do something.
I too have found that pressing the enter or cancel button on the remote will temporarily fix the problem. But, like all of you - I'm looking for a permanent fix.

Collapse -
I have the 57 incher and my problem was fixed
by dlprg / June 2, 2007 6:01 AM PDT

And then the bulb blew @ 5mo of age. Mitsi has already sent a replacement. But can you imagine if I go through 2 of these a year @ $249 each? I'm hoping the bulb went prematurely because of the (now fixed) airflow problem.

Collapse -
I wouldn't worry about the bulb
by Cadillac84 / June 3, 2007 5:39 AM PDT

You imply your problem was the same as everyone else in this thread. If so, then the problem you had was NOT an overheating problem but rather a temperature MEASURING problem which was corrected by replacing the thermistor and/or rerouting the wire connecting the thermistor to the control circuitry.

Everyone who has reported this problem here has assured himself that airflow was not blocked and that the set was not overheating.

That suggests the failure of your lamp at 5 months was random. Three to five thousand hours is more typical of bulb life, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Things you can do to improve lamp life:

1) on your remote control press the VIDEO button one or more times until the word Mode: appears followed by "Natural" "Bright" or "Brilliant". Use the left or right arrow to change the setting and avoid using "Brilliant" if you can. Generally, "Natural" works well at night and when the room is dark; "Bright" works well during the day or when lighting levels in the room are higher. "Brilliant" is intended for use in stores and should not be necessary in a home setting.

2) Remember that "Brilliant" is the default and that each "Input" (Ant 1, Ant 2, DVD, VCR, etc.) may be set independent of the others.

3) Do not leave the TV turned on for long periods when nobody is watching -- that wastes lamp life. On the other hand, avoid frequent ON/OFF cycles which stress the lamp as it heats and cools.

I read a report from someone on another forum recently who replaced his lamp at 6000 hours because he was doing other work and decided to go ahead and replace the lamp at the same time. He is holding the "used" lamp as an emergency spare.

Your mileage may vary.

Collapse -
Thanks
by dlprg / June 3, 2007 6:58 AM PDT

We do use "brilliant". Or should I say did use the "brilliant" setting. We don't anymore!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!