TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Mitsubishi 1080p VS Samsung 1080p DLP

by batchdev / November 5, 2005 11:01 AM PST

I saw the two tvs side by side for the first time this weekend. all sizes from 50" to 70". Prior to walking into the store I had seen the Mitsu up against sony panasonic hitachi and others and the Mitsu blew them away. However when I saw the Mitsu next to the samsung, the sammy blew doors on the Mitsu. The Samsung was smoother while I noticed some grainy qualities in the Mitsu.....

Has anyone seen these sets side by side and would you please share you opinion with me, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mitsubishi 1080p VS Samsung 1080p DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mitsubishi 1080p VS Samsung 1080p DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mitsubishi 1080p VS Samsung 1080p DLP
by jcrobso / November 8, 2005 5:22 AM PST
Collapse -
JVC HDLP
by acfoster1 / November 11, 2005 6:11 AM PST

What about the JVC and its new format (HDLP). I looked at one and the picture was great. Has anyone purchased one?

Collapse -
no to JVC
by twro / December 31, 2005 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: JVC HDLP

We just recently purchased a JVC DILA HD TV model #HD-52G786. It was manufactured in August 05, we purchased it on September 10, 2005, on December 25, 2005 after only 3 months the lamp blew. Which after numerous calls on the week of December 27 on to December 30 having to give our serial number to the TV out to one Representative after another, we finally asked to speak to a supervisor, (apparently customer service calls are handled in the Phillipines, and we had a hard time understanding the reps). The supervisor from Texas call center got on the phone with me, by this time I am upset and I wanted to know exactly when we could expect a lamp, I was told by Joe Rodriguez that it would come in 10 business days. Ok, I said I wanted a tracking number, he said they do not give out any numbers. I said how will I know when mine had been sent out he said "you can call back in 3 business days and someone might could tell me something then" (when calling you will be on the phone at least 30 minutes before helped). I asked is this something I can expect to happen every 3 months, he said he could not predict that. I asked if could I get my money back for this TV from JVC because I am not happy about this. He said "you will not get any money back and he did not care if the TV was repaired or not because JVC has been in business for 50 years and even if I told Better Busines s Bureau that he knew the company would not shut down just because of my TV". I spent $2400.00 for this TV and the picture quality was great but for only 3 months. So now I am out of a TV until JVC sees fit to send me a lamp and not only that the product is only under warranty for so long, then what will I do. I feel I have throwed my money out the window and I have nothing at this time to show for it. So take my advise if you do not want to go through what I have been through this past week please look elsewhere.

Collapse -
I heard the JVC bulbs shipped with their sets.....
by johnhunter44 / January 1, 2006 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: no to JVC

....were bad and many new owners of the JVC sets were upset. I have read many negative posts on various forums about JVC. I also have read that the newer bulbs being shipped now reportedly have corrected the problem. I think it was one of these sites where I read this info. Forums at ecoustics.com, hometheaterforum.com, or either hometheaterdiscussion.com. You should be able to get more info there on JVC.

Collapse -
Change the Mitsubishi DEFAULT settings and WOW WOW WOW
by kevintrisha / November 10, 2005 5:33 PM PST

I bought the Mitsubishi 1080p version in a 62''.
When I got it home, at first I was disappointed and saw a grainy picture. BUT THEN, I went through the book and changed the DEFAULT settings, especially FILM MODE....and Oh my lord, the picture was OUTSTANDING. I am using a DVD player that upconverts the picture to 1080i and it looks better than my high definition picture from HD Directv. I have been watching movies and TV for two weeks now and I keep saying WOW WOW WOW. The default settings are garbage and should be changed by the store before displaying the product. The Best Buy people told me that Samsung reps come in and correct the default settings of their TVs so they look great. I believe Samsung and Mitsubishi both look outstanding, but give them both a chance when they are properly ''tweeked'' with correct settings. You will not be disappointed. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
what dvd player are you using to upconvert to 1080i
by batchdev / November 12, 2005 7:45 AM PST

what dvd player are you using to upconvert to 1080i

Collapse -
The new mitsubishis automatically upconvert 720p to 1080i
by Despair02 / September 26, 2006 1:13 PM PDT

He is using any upconverting DvD player, the new Mitsubishis automatically upconvert all 720p signals to 1080i, but also are 1080p capable which I can't wait for. I currently own a Mitsubishi's WD-52631 which I just bought August 2nd 2006 and I saw a demo running on a hard drive in 1080p and I simply can't wait to see 1080p become a broadcast standard, I guess in the mean time the Blu-Ray playing PS3 will quench my nerves this winter. Happy

Collapse -
HP MD5880n (MD6580n)
by sjbfire / November 12, 2005 9:39 AM PST

The new HP's are the best looking 1080p DLP's in my book. They are up and coming and not to many people have heard of them, let alone seen one. I was fortunate enough to have gone to my local HiFi store and saw one for the first time. All I can say is WOW. I had my heart set on buying a new SXRD when I found out that they don't accept 1080p sources. The overall PQ between the two are about the same but I think the HP has better blacks. Now I realize there is nothing broadcast at 1080p as of now but I'm all for buying the best "future proof" TV available. The HP's accept 1080p via the HDMI port and found out that this is the only set availble that does.

Now the best part. HP offers a 20% discount for damn near anybody. I work for the state which qualified me for a 20% discount. That's $800 off the MSRP....sweet. They also offer free shiping with white glove delivery.

Pro's:
Hewlitt Packard reputation (personal experience)
Great Picture Quality
Good strech modes (aspect)
Attractive matching stand
All 10 conections are in front(Industry First)
matte black finish (58")
Sound system (seperate subwoofer)
Better than normal off axis veiwing
Discount and free white glove shipping
Great customer service

CON's:
HP is currently out of stock. (Expecting more soon)
Speakers on the side of TV
HP new to the buisness

AVSfourms has massive amounts of information on this TV for anybody interested.

Collapse -
Dear Forum
by jimmueller--2008 / November 12, 2005 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: HP MD5880n (MD6580n)

You said that almost anybody can get 20% off a HP MD6580N rear projection TV. Please advise how or where I could qualify for this discount, so I could pickup one of these nice sets.
Thanks,
Jim

Collapse -
DISCOUNT
by sjbfire / November 12, 2005 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Dear Forum

Just go to the HP.com website and look for the "EPP" discount program. Follow the instructions and submit. There are discounts for full time college students, teachers, social workers etc. I am a firefighter and qualified due to my local government job. They request that you first submit your "government" e-mail address that should end in .gov or .org; I am not a supervisor which means I can't get my own work E-mai address. I called HP and explained my situation and they set me up with program while still on the phone with them. Good luck and let us know if it works out for you.
SJBFIRE

Collapse -
what size do you think?
by ascola / November 30, 2005 5:52 AM PST

I hate to sound jaded but the last tv I bought was 15 years ago. and given my age this next tv may be my last.
I sit about 12 feet from my tv and I am willing to buy a 61" or a 70" Mits or Sammy.
After I decide on which manufacturer I buy I've got to decide on size.
Assuming price is not relivant what do you think?

Collapse -
I bought was 15 years ago. ME too.
by jcrobso / November 30, 2005 6:56 AM PST

I sit about 8~10' I'm thinking about 47~50", But I'm also limited on space. If you have the room go for it.
But also check out new JVD IHDLA LCoS sets. John

Collapse -
uhhh?
by ascola / November 30, 2005 9:13 PM PST

Are these dlp tv's
or other types?
Plasmas are over priced and burn out..or so I hear.
Lcds are not so good from angles...or so I hear.
I'm sort of sold on DLP's
I also talked to a salesman for Mits
The 1080p is twice the resolution as a 1080i
Even tho you can't get anything in that format yet.
Also, The diamond series is better than the regular series..electronically and it has 2-hd tuners in the body of the tv.
I'm not sure if that'a a good thing or not. Sometimes the more info you get the worst it becomes.

Collapse -
Are these dlp tv's,, WELL Yes and NO
by jcrobso / December 1, 2005 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: uhhh?

DLP is a refelctive tech. uses one mirco mirror chip and a color wheel.
LCoS is refelective tech. also and use 3 chips and does not need a color wheel. Both are rear projection.
So far beats ANY DLP I have seen.

As for the 1080i vs 1080p.
1080i is 1920x1080 with a frame rate of 30fps since it is interlaced it has 60 fields. Takes 2 fileds to make one complete frame.
1080p is 1920x1080 with a frame rate of 60fps the data rate to do this is twice as much as 1080i.
The resolution of both is the same. 1080i gives 30 complete frames per second, 1080p give 60 complete frames per second. Not twice the resoultion but much better handling of fast moving images do to 60 images a second. John

Collapse -
MITSUBISHI!
by SirJOW / September 26, 2006 5:34 PM PDT

If you want a QUALITY set go with the MITSUBISHI! At least that is my experience. The only video equipment brand I buy since 1988 is MITSUBISHI...I have never had to take my equipment in for a single repair. I'd give my mid 90's experience on Samsung...but don't want to be flamed...that company has many fanboys;-)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.