Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

missing safari on one user account

by mumsrea / January 20, 2010 9:50 PM PST

Hi.

Safari had a ? on it, and was unresponsive. It got dragged to the trash.

The other user accounts have safari and are working fine.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get safari back on this account? (
It is not the admin account.)

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing safari on one user account
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing safari on one user account
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info needed
by Mr. Gregg / January 20, 2010 10:33 PM PST

You dragged it from where, exactly?

Is Safari in your Mac Hard Drive > Applications Folder?

Collapse -
more info
by mumsrea / January 20, 2010 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: more info needed

Okay. Sorry. Newbie.

I have four user accounts.

On my account (not the admin account) the safari icon, in the dock displayed a '?' and was unresponsive when clicked.

Now it is missing from the dock (the unresponsive icon.) I don't know where it went, though i think it may have been dragged to the trash. Can't see it in there now, though.

The other accounts have safari working fine.

Does that help?

And thank you so much for attempting to help me!

Collapse -
more...
by mumsrea / January 20, 2010 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: more info

oh and btw, it is not in the applications folder for that user either, so i can't activate from there or drag it back into the dock from there.

Collapse -
Normally, applications do not
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 8:17 AM PST
In reply to: more...

live in the Applications folder of the user.

They live in the Applications folder that you see when you double click the HD icon on the desktop.
An icon for this folder may appear in the sidebar when you open a window.
Applications that are installed into the Applications folder, end up in this one.

The Applications folder inside the users home folder, the house thing, is usually empty.

If you cannot find Safari in the first mentioned Applications folder, use Spotlight to locate the Safari.app and then drag the icon into the dock.

Hope that helps

P

Collapse -
safari is awol
by mumsrea / January 21, 2010 12:31 PM PST

Thanks that does help.

Now i know that safari is missing from the hard drive entirely.

Now what?

I already tried to reinstall applications. Still no safari.

Collapse -
If Safari is missing from the HD entirely,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2010 9:04 PM PST
In reply to: safari is awol

then it cannot possible be working for the other three users.

Log on as one of the other users, preferably one with a working Safari, and find where the Safari app has been put.

Once located, drag the application, not the shortcut/alias, into the Applications folder that is NOT in that users home folder.
Then ALL users will be able to use Safari.
The reason you could not find Safari, when logged in as the Safari deficient user, is because Spotlight only searches in that Home folder, NOT the entire machine.

Keep going

P

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used this and it worked. a TIP..
by crfs / June 19, 2010 2:09 PM PDT

for some that may not know this - once you search safari.app, you'll find the location of the app at the bottom.

go there, then add to the non 'house' folder and voila!!!!!!

so simple!!!

Collapse -
the Dock and Trash
by Mr. Gregg / January 23, 2010 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: more info

"Now it is missing from the dock (the unresponsive icon.) I don't know where it went, though i think it may have been dragged to the trash. Can't see it in there now, though."

Just thought I could help with this aspect. Things don't get dragged into the Trash from the Dock. Try it once. You don't have to release the mouse button. Just drag whatever icon back to its original Dock position. But, while you have it hovering over the Trash icon, you'll see that it says "Remove from Dock". So you'd never see something that came from the Dock inside the Trash.

But, there are two other ways to remove something from the Dock. You can right click on something and select Remove from Dock. (control-click if you have a one-button mouse) Or you can grab a Dock icon and drag it off onto your Desktop. When you release the mouse button, a "puff of smoke" appears, and the icon disappears.

It's easy to put things back in the Dock. You just have to find where the original is in a Finder Window, and drag it to the Dock. This leaves the original where it was, and just makes a shortcut.

The other advice above is on the mark. Good luck!

Collapse -
safari missing in the app folder of the HD
by mumsrea / January 24, 2010 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: the Dock and Trash

okay...

i went to the HD, clicked on applications...no safari.

spotlight gets me a safari folder with bookmarks and history.

safari.app gets me no hits in spotlight.

i notice it is in desktop for one user.

thanks for your willingness to help.

Collapse -
Again, log on as the user that has a working Safari,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 1:28 AM PST

find the Safari.app and put it where it belongs.

Someone has moved the Safari.app out of that Applications folder, which is where the installer places it by default, and put it on their desktop.

Spotlight only searches for stuff in the account of the user that is currently logged on.

It will not find stuff that is in the account of another user.

Keep going, we're going to get there.

P

Collapse -
gratitude.
by mumsrea / January 24, 2010 2:03 AM PST

thank you so much. it finally worked.
turns out it worked on only one user, but i thought it was working in all the users except one.
so i tried that on the correct user and voila.

thanks!!!!

and here i thought having multiple users would make life safer/easier!

Collapse -
It does,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 24, 2010 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: gratitude.

as long as you leave things where the installer put them.

Now that Safari is back in the land of the living, you may want to check what else has been moved.

Remember, for all user to be able to access any application, it has to be in that Applications folder outside of their Home folders.

Your perseverance does you credit.

P

Collapse -
more
by mumsrea / January 24, 2010 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: It does,

"as long as you leave things where the installer put them"

important safety tip, lol.

though i thought i had removed permissions from everyone to create this kind of havoc.

Collapse -
make sure the suffix is enabled
by macnerd10 / January 24, 2010 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: more

When you search for Safarai.app, Spotlight may not find it because by default the suffixes are not added. A better search would only include "Safari".

Collapse -
not quite right
by macnerd10 / January 25, 2010 4:05 AM PST

My previous post was right only if you search for a file name. When searching for contents it should be OK no matter whether the suffix is there or not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?