Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

missing or corupt files

cant get the kids old windows 98 comp to boot up- last night my son was deleting photos and when we turned it on we get the black boot up screen with 5 start options- safe mode , normal, etc. none work and we get the following missing or corrupt files message for these files::::
himem. sys
dblbuff.sys
ifshlp.sys

i tried booting wiht the windows disk but it sais to install windows and stops because it already detects windows- im not sure what to try or where to look for the answer.......

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing or corupt files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing or corupt files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.

In reply to: missing or corupt files

Boot up with the windows boot disk again, and at the A: prompt, type SYS C: and press Enter.

Once the 'system files have been transferred' message shows up, remove the bootdisk and try booting up again.

TONI

Collapse -
boot up disk

In reply to: Try this.

how do i make one? this is my SIL's old computer ans she onlys ent the windows 98 disk. is there any where on line i can get the files to make a windows 98 boot up disk?

Collapse -
Here's a link.

In reply to: boot up disk

Collapse -
no luck

In reply to: Here's a link.

i made teh 98 boot up disk- put it in then booted all i get is invalid system disk replace the disk and then press any key- it does that over and over, is this a bad sign???

Collapse -
Bad startup disk

In reply to: no luck

Do you have a working PC with Win98 or ME that you can use?

Go to Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk tab and follow the prompts to create a Startup Floppy.

You can also create a startup floppy downloading this file:

http://www.dehning.com/download/utilities/bootdisks/boot98.exe

After downloading, put a freshly formatted floppy in the drive and double-click the boot98.exe file you just downloaded.

This will launch the process of creating the startup floppy.

When finished use that floppy to start the sick PC.

Start it without CD-ROM support and at the A:\ prompt type:

SCANREG /RESTORE (note space between G and /)

Press enter, select a date PRIOR to the problem starting and proceed.

Reboot when finished and test.

Zee

Good luck,

Zee

Collapse -
well heres what it did

In reply to: Try this.

i made the floppy- put it in then turned thecomp on- got to the prompt A thingy...... get to the system transferrred- then i took out the floppy and rebooted... but it just gives me the same old 5 item start up black screen suggesting i choose number 5 - am imissing a step?

Collapse -
I don't remember

In reply to: well heres what it did

what option #5 was from the menu......can you tell me? That might give a clue about what to do next but I'm having a senior moment about that screen.

TONI

Collapse -
number 5

In reply to: I don't remember

command prompt only
when i do that i get the 3 missing file notice... the himem.sys, dblbuff.sys and ifshlp.sys missing or corrupt

Collapse -
The boot disk

In reply to: number 5

doesn't give you a menu such as that with choices of how to boot up.

When you created the bootdisk....I need information.

1. Did you have it created within Windows 98 at the Startup Disk area of Add=Remove Programs?

2. Did you download a W98 bootdisk from the internet....if so, did you actually click the .exe file you downloaded to start the program that actually creates the bootdisk to a clean floppy disk in the drive?

3. Do you get to the A: prompt using the bootdisk or does it only take you to the menu with choices?

4. If you only get the menu with choices, it appears that you don't have your bios/setup configured to boot from a floppy disk as your first device, so if that's the case and you need help being able to do that, let us know. Instructions will be given.

5. Do you have a Windows 98 installation cd? If so, what version.....First Edition or Second Edition. Extracting the files you need depends on the location of the files on the cd and those versions have the location in different places.

TONI

Collapse -
heres what i get

In reply to: The boot disk

1. Did you have it created within Windows 98 at the Startup Disk area of Add=Remove Programs?
''no''.

2. Did you download a W98 bootdisk from the internet....
''yes
if so, did you actually click the .exe file you downloaded to start the program that actually creates the bootdisk to a clean floppy disk in the drive?
''yes

3. Do you get to the A: prompt using the bootdisk -
-yes
or does it only take you to the menu with choices?
"no , only after the reboot do i get the 5 choices even after rebooting after getting the system transferred message''-''note-there is another A prompt line below the system transferred line''.

4. If you only get the menu with choices, it appears that you don't have your bios/setup configured to boot from a floppy disk as your first device, so if that's the case and you need help being able to do that, let us know. Instructions will be given.

5. Do you have a Windows 98 installation cd?.yes i have the windows 98 that came with the computer im fixing.
If so, what version.....First Edition or Second Edition.first edition i believe -i know its not windows 98 SE.

Collapse -
OK....let's try this

In reply to: heres what i get

First boot up with the boot disk to get to the A: prompt, but make sure you enable cdrom support at the first screen if asked...usually a downloaded bootdisk will just load it automatically. It normally is highlighted by default so press Enter to accept it.

Once you get to the A: prompt, put your windows cd into the drive, and type the following exactly as written, including the spaces.....Assuming R is the drive letter for the cdrom

EXTRACT R:\Win98\win98_46.cab\dblbuff.sys /L C:\Windows

and press Enter

Once it says it's been transferred, so the same command for \ifshelp.sys

Now do the same command but change the cab file to be Base5.cab\himem.sys

Remember that there is a space after EXTRACT and again after .sys and again after /L

Once they've all been extracted to the C:\Windows folder, remove the bootdisk, and try booting up again.

TONI

Collapse -
ive tried

In reply to: OK....let's try this

i tried every letter for the cdrom to extract the files from just get the following
cannot open R:\Win98\win98_46.cab\dblbuff.sys /L C:\Windows
ive tried from B to Z for the drive letter exept C ofcoarse but wonder of maybe C isnt the hardrive letter? lol...my sil had major problems with this thing so thats why my kids got it..i know the CDrom works we were using it shortly before my dear son decided to delete pics- cant extract any files from the 98- it acts like it doesnt recognize the cdrom drive- the little light comes on but i dont hear any noise when its supposed to be searching for a file on a disk in the cd rom....

Collapse -
When you used the bootdisk

In reply to: ive tried

just before the A: prompt showed up, did it show what drive letter it used for the cdrom?

TONI

Collapse -
i see

In reply to: When you used the bootdisk

well it sais 2 things
the first is this
The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to Drive D
then below that
Drive E: = Driver MSCD001 Unit O
then the A prompt under that

Collapse -
i read the help file

In reply to: i see

it sais to boot up with floppy- use cdrom access insert windows cd...then type
EXT then enter
then extract file-but i dont know the cdrom drive letter or the file path i want to extract or the file name i want to extract to.... or where to extract to.... lol- im a mess.

Collapse -
In this cse the CD drive is the E drive.

In reply to: i read the help file

After you type EXT. I would expect that you will see a file name. Double click on that file. If it asks where to extract it to, extract ot to the desktop. If it doesn't name it, use basically any name that you want.

Collapse -
MSCD is a CD drive, the Unit 0

is the first CD drive [you don't have another. If you did it would be 1].

Thus at the A prompt you type E and hit enter.

Collapse -
Toni lives in the East and is likely abed.

If you have any doubts wait for her to get back in the morning.

Collapse -
thanks so much

In reply to: Toni lives in the East and is likely abed.

im thinking that it just cant support the cdrom after using the bootup disk. i mean i can pick the cdrom support but when i tell it to extraxt from the disk in the cdrom- no noise comes from that drive-/that may be why it cannot find the file path to the disk in the cdrom- but i will try the E letter- i cant remember if i tried that..... ive tried so many combinations...lol

Collapse -
Reply to thanks so much.

In reply to: missing or corupt files

Had to move over here, and down here to move the posts to the left. LOL

I always make Win 98 boot disks directly from my Win 98 system. Read about Toni's info in many threads about downloading and creating boot disks. I am totally confused why a CD is getting involved with the process to make a boot floppy.

OK, I've re-read the thread to see what Toni is shooting for.

The question now may be what the CD is that you are putting into the drive. Is it a full Win 98 CD? Or just a recovery/restore disk???

So while waiting for Toni. let's simply see if that boot floppy has made the CD drive the E drive.

With CD in the CD drive and the system booted up with the boot floppy with CD-ROM support and at the A prompt. Simply type E: and hit enter [could be lower case DOS doesn't care about case]. When you get an E prompt [if you do, seems that you should] type DIR /P and hit enter [note the space after the R]. The slash is known as a switch and the P says to show only one page [screen] of the files on the CD. If there is more than one page of files/directories, simply hit enter to see the next page.

If you get to see the files, simply hit enter until you get back to the E prompt alone. Then type A: and hit enter. Now from the A prompt, type Toni's paths using E rather than R. [should work if the CD is really a Win 98 CD.

She normally shows up in these forums fairly early, like 7 am eastern. We are somewhat email friends so I know some of her habits.

Collapse -
Lisa.....It's 6:15AM and I'm up heheheheh

In reply to: Reply to thanks so much.

using the bootdisk and trying to extract, you said you got an error saying 'cannot open' the cab file for the first file you tried to extract which was the dblbuff.sys file.

Did you try any of the others from the list? I'm curious because if you tried the Base5.cab file it might have worked, even if the other two didn't. The reason being that W98 First Edition had the first two files in a different cab file than W98 Second Edition, but the himem.sys file is located in Base5.cab for both versions.

Try using the extract command for the himem.sys file only using the following command at the A: prompt and tell me if it worked. If it does, then we know you actually have W98SE and not W98FE like you believed you did and I can give you the correct cab file number for the other two files.

EXTRACT E:\win98\base5.cab\himem.sys /L C:\Windows

TONI

Collapse -
all i get is cannot open file

In reply to: Lisa.....It's 6:15AM and I'm up heheheheh

i tried it- just get the cannot open file- ive tried it with both the win98 cd an my 98se cd- it seems liek the comp cant run the cdrom- maybe thats why it cant get the file- im wondering if the bootup floppy i have doesnt have the driver for this cdrom?? but i dont know how to tell what cdrom it is....

Collapse -
What does the front of the cd say

In reply to: all i get is cannot open file

exactly? That will tell us if it's a true MS cd or one that came from the vendor instead.

Your cdrom drivers are loading properly or when you put in a cd, it would say 'drive not ready' or a code error instead. So it's definitely something to do with the cd itself.

Another test for this is to put in the cd, type E: at the A: prompt and press Enter so you get to the E:> and then type DIR /W/P and press Enter.

That will give you a directory listing of what's on the cd and will confirm that the drive is working.

TONI

Collapse -
not sure

In reply to: What does the front of the cd say

the only thing she sent was a disk marked windows 98- i ran it and not much on it maybe
[add ons] autorun.inf [cd sampler] [drivers]read me
setup.exe [tools] win 98
3 files 6743 bytes
5 dirs o bytes

is this just the emergency boot up cd??

Collapse -
missed a line

In reply to: not sure

also sais volume in drive E is windows 98
directory of E:\

Collapse -
Is this actually a directory

In reply to: not sure

win 98 with brackets around it?

If so, at the E: prompt, type cd\win98 and see if you get E:\win98> and then type DIR /W/P and press Enter. We are looking for where the CABS are located on that cd.

If you can't get a DIR for win98, then instead type cd\Tools and then type DIR /W/P and let us know what shows up there.

It sounds like perhaps a burned copy of W98 and not a true MS cd, but if it's all you have I won't lecture you about using pirated software right now...you need help with what you have already and the horse has already been let out of the barn. However, if the disk has Microsoft actually printed on it and doesn't have a homemade label, it's a good one.

Did she also give you the Product Code for it? You can't reinstall windows over the top of itself nor as a clean installation on a formatted harddrive without it. Sometimes the Product Code Key is actually on a label stuck right to the computer itself so look around for it.

TONI

Collapse -
since its just a fancy game place for the kids-lol

In reply to: Is this actually a directory

well its just her old machine for the kids to paly games on- no internet access- just for teh games that are on it- if i cant get it working, no biggy- but its alot faster than the old 95 they have and it keeps them from bugging me to use mine- lol... she thinks her mom pitched all teh other disks- so i cant reinstall anything-

Collapse -
alot shows up

In reply to: Is this actually a directory

2 screens of cab files, some exe's, bin files- should i just box this mess up and pull out the old 95 for the kids? all i know is my SIL gave it to the kids to play on and it went kapoot and she cant find any of hte other disks- i hate defeat.... lol. she sent us a used comp and 1 disk.. thats all i know.

Collapse -
what directory were the cabs in?

In reply to: alot shows up

this way I can give you the correct path to type in...

Or you can use the cd to just put windows right over the top of itself since you have the installation disk. I've done this many times and it just replaces things that are missing or corrupt and leaves everything else alone. Some people don't think this is a good idea, but it's quick and easy for most situations.

BUT you need the Product Code Key for Windows98 or it won't finish the installation. I can also tell you how to get it from DOS if you can't locate it either on the cd, on the case it came in, or on the PC itself.

TONI

Collapse -
ok

In reply to: what directory were the cabs in?

i will call her and see if she still has the windows 98 book with the code key- this evening.... is there a way to find hte key in the system?? through DOS you mentioned?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.