Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing Or Corrupt System ?

Hiyas,

I recently got another stick of RAM for my pc to make it run a little better. I made sure to buy the exact same one. Then ran that windows mem test on it and there is no errors on it, nor did it fail any of the tests on extended version. The RAM stick alone works smooth if it is in the first RAM slot as good as my old one.
I started to think it was a prob with the 2nd Slot. So out of curiousity I placed it on the 3rd slot and got the screen where it prompts u to start in safe mode or last saved config. etc etc and then it said I had a missing or corrupt

' \Windows\System32\Config\System '

It suggested that I place the recovery cd and press 'r' when i did so it just took me to this screen where i can partition my harddrive and/or install windows on it. I've never had a problem like this before so any help / insight into the situation would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing Or Corrupt System ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing Or Corrupt System ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not good enough

In reply to: Missing Or Corrupt System ?

Download a copy of memtest86 and let it run overnight. Only then will you know that your memory is good. Pretty much all other memory tests are too superficial to be useful.

Collapse -
Much Ado About Memory

In reply to: Missing Or Corrupt System ?

I could possibly help you with this since I have added memory to many computers in my line of work. I would need a little more information from you. Most OEM board memory slots are designated sequentially.
This means that if you are using slot#1, you MUST use slot #2 for the first addition. Attempting to boot XP with with a non-sequenced memory slot modification will invariably result in a error message. You first must precisely restore your original board configuration. The next step is to boot into safe mode; Do NOT allow your computer to boot normally. Once in safe mode, go to the control panel and ask windows to look for new hardware. XP will automatically resolve the problem IF the %systemroot% files and settings have not been corrupted. In most cases of memory upgrade, adding one more "stick" just like the first will NOT work. You have to upgrade in increments: i.e. 64m...128m...256m...512m...etc.. The best size for XP with a CPU of ~500mhz is 256k; for a CPU of 1ghz or more, use 512k+...
1) What kind of computer do you have? OEM? Custom?
What year? XP upgrade from ME or 98SE? Home, Pro, Media Center? SP1? SP2?
2) How much original memory do you have? What did you try to upgrade to?
3) What kind of memory "sticks," SIMM's? DIMM's, etc.?

Collapse -
The Stick Lives

In reply to: Much Ado About Memory

I ran the infamous memtest86+ over night and there were no errors on the new stick of RAM. I would like to point out tho, that I put the new stick of RAM in the first slot as if it was the only stick. I am still dumbfounded as to why I cant place it in the second slot without any errors as the computer DOES recognize the extra 512mb of RAM. It's just that it lockups and freezes sometimes. Like I posted originally I had placed it on the 3rd slot just to see if there was something wrong with the 2nd slot itself and thats when i got that messeage of missing and/or corrupt system32/config/system. I wonder if correcting that first could lead me towards the right direction or at least remove another posibility out of the way. Here is some more detailed information about my pc. My uncle built it for me in my last semester to help me save soem cash. It is a customed built pc and the specs are as follows:

Athlon 64 FX-55
ABIT 939 Motherboard
1 stick of Corsair 512 MB DDR PC 3200XL
Windows XP Pro

I purchased the same stick and it passed the windows memory diagnoctics extended test and the memtest86+ . Thank you for your suggestions and help, any other insight or advice is appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.