General discussion

Missing next archive volume CABS

I haven't needed you for a long time. I am still using 98SE. I am certain that the following list choked up by my AV is from two things. One of the PC mags recommended checking Sun Java to update IE which, Godforbid, I did and installed the upgrade getting TWO Trojans. Then I ran a Panda scan from PCPitstop which, I think, added PowerReg Scheduler V2.exe-Win 32/PowerReg Application. I worked awhile cleaning my system and they are gone along with: C\CABS\BASE4.CAB>CAB>ebd.cab next archive volume not found; C\CABS\DRIVERii(2).CAB>>hpsc nts.dll next archive volume not found; C\CABS\PRECOPY 1 CAB>suwin.exe next archiveee volume not found. Are these archive volumes on the 98SE CD? If not, how do I install these CABS.
Do not lecture! I also have Zone Alarm, NOD 32, PestPatrol, and Spybot running. I found the accursed files, opened them with WinZip and killed them with NOD, rebooted and ran another NOD scan to be certain they were gone.
Any assistance with the CABS will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Missing next archive volume CABS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Missing next archive volume CABS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Can I ask?

I did pull out my Windows 98se CD and the precopy1.cab was there. May I ask why you didn't look on your CD?

Bob

- Collapse -
response to Can I ask

I knew the precopy was on the CD. My question was in regard to "next archive volume". If I reinstall the missing CABS, does this take care of the "next archive volume"?

- Collapse -
Still makes me wonder.

Since this is a simple file copy, why didn't you try this?

I'm wondering if you are looking for some ironclad assurance that this will fix your issue. Sadly, this is Windows.

Bob

- Collapse -
ironclad assurance

Exactly. What I absolutely do not need at this time in my life is a system crash.

- Collapse -
Smile, you're on Windows.

And a seven plus year old one too.

Copying these files in is about as safe as it gets. If you want ironclad, you wouldn't be on Windows 9x or ME.

Bob

- Collapse -
Simply copyind CAB files to your...

CAB directory will not do anything to your system other than make them readily available.

Any system crash would NOT be a result of the copy operation but of some underlying problem.

NOTHING in life is guaranteed.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks to you both. I hope not to need you any time soon but it's nice knowing you're here.

CNET Forums

Forum Info