General discussion

Missing modem

Hi. I recently lost my cable modem, but managed to download Netscape dialup beforehand. For some reason it won't detect my modem now. I checked out the Compaq site to find the modem number in case I need a driver, and it doesn't show up on any of the lists. It says it's a 56k ITU V.90 modem. Nothing even close to that on the options.

PC: Compaq Presario 5050
Other info: I had reformatted the computer since the last time I've used the dialup modem. I don't know why the computer can't find it though, or why it won't show up under Compaq in any list. Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Missing modem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Missing modem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Parabraves, Compaq Presario 5050 Modem Drivers

Searching the Compaq support site comes up with the items in the link below for your computer. You should see the Modem drivers listed there. I would probably install the most current driver in the modem list but that's up to you. It appears like the modem is a separate PCI modem, but you should verify that by looking in the case..Many of the older HP's had integrated modems which require one of the other drivers listed.:

Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario 5050 Desktop PC

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Finally got cable back

I did go to a local computer lab to print out all sorts of troubleshooting for my problem, and did spot the modem. Problem was it wasn't listed anywhere on the list provided on my drive. I couldn't download drivers then, but thanks to the cable modem I can now. Wink In case I get the same problem I should be more prepared now.

CNET Forums

Forum Info