Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing mmsys.cpl

by Dorothy M / June 13, 2004 2:56 AM PDT

When I uncheecked Multimedia in the Windows Setup, restarted computer then went back and checked Multimedia again I got error message "mmsys.cpl" is missing and Multimedia will not work without it.

Can anyone help?

Dorothy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing mmsys.cpl
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing mmsys.cpl
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Missing mmsys.cpl
by Cursorcowboy / June 13, 2004 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing mmsys.cpl

"Link" to answer which Kees gave you already.

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / June 13, 2004 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Missing mmsys.cpl

Thanks, I know that and I did all that. Even restored file with SFC but it still does not open and the Icons are not in the Control Panel.

The funny thing is all my sounds work.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 13, 2004 10:46 PM PDT
Thanks, I know that and I did all that. Even restored file with SFC but it still does not open and the Icons are not in the Control Panel.

y'all....

1. Is the file "Mmsys.cpl"

a. specifically located in the Windows\System folder (provided the name of your foler is Windows)?

b. is the properties for the "Mmsys.cpl"file similar to: Size = 420,864 bytes and version 4.03.1998

2. In my opinion, when you attempt to activate an .CPL file by typing the name in the Open box of the Run dialog box, you may receive the following error message:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in My Computer by clicking View and then clicking Folder Options.

3. In my opinion, a user has two options to ascertain whether a *.CPL file is missing or corrupt:

a. Use the Windows Find function (click Start, Find, File or Folders, fill in the top box with the information necessary to find a file (in this case we are concerned about *.cpl). Click the down-arrow, select Windows (or whatever is comparable to where you have Windows installed), ensure the bottom check box includes its checkmark, and then press the Find Now button.

Note: Once the found files are listed in the open section at the bottom, use the mouse and down-arrow to find the file "Mmsys.cpl". Mouse double-click this file name and the Multimedia applet normally rendered from the Control Panel will be displayed.

b. To use the process described in paragraph #1 above to render a Control Panel applet for a resident "*.CPL", which is available and is not corrupted, users can activate the applet by typing the following information in that box and then by either clicking the OK button or pressing Enter-- for example the file Mmsys.cpl (and can be accomplished also at the Windows path at the MS-DOS command line), [Q192806]:

control mmsys.cpl

4. If it is determined a file is corrupted or a file is missing, "HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)."

5. Supplemental reading:

a. "Multimedia: General MIDI Troubleshooting for Windows 95/98 (Q138314)."

b. "Windows Driver Model Audio Update for Windows 98 Second Edition (Q242937)."

c. "Static or Computer Hangs Playing MIDI Files in Windows 98 (Q188511)."

6. I am also curious as to the reported error which I do not believe is completely accurate -- at least there is nothing found exactly on the MSKB:

"RUNDLL error loading mmsys.cpl. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found"

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.
Collapse -
by Dorothy M / June 14, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

Thank you. Yes the file is "Mmsys.cpl" listed in the Windows Folder as "mmsys". When I checked the properties:

Size is 420,864 bytes and Version is 4.03.1998 and it is MMSYS.CPL

2. You are correct that is the error message I got when I tried "RUN".

I did use Windows Find for *.cpl and it is listed as "mmsys" and when I checked properties it showed "MMSYS.CPL".

When I double clicked on it, I hear a sound only nothing opens.

When I ran "control mmssys.cpl" I hear a sound and nothing opens.

The RUNDLL ERROR loading mmsys.cpl is exactly as I indicated above. I printed it out so I could relay accurate information.

As for Sound my Windows Media Player is not playing any sounds at all. I have not checked the other media's, but I have no reason to believe they will work.

Although, all the sounds for various programs that I setup work, and the Sound and Multimedia Icons are gone from the Control Panel.

I have been trying for over a week to solve the problem with no luck.

Dorothy

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / June 14, 2004 9:56 PM PDT
y'all....

Yes the file is "Mmsys.cpl" listed in the Windows Folder as "mmsys".

1. Not that it may matter at this point but let me point two things out -- we must be literal -- since I'm on the other end and cannot see your computer:

a. Back in the other message it was suggested -- and I highly suggest you do so -- that from Explorer/My Computer, click View, Folder Options, View and place a dot in the radio button for Show all files. If a check mark exist in the box for Hide file extension for known file types, remove it. Click the box near the top of the applet labeled Like Current Folder, click Apply, and then click OK to Exit.

b. My reply which you just replied to asked -- specifically located in the Windows\System folder. . .? I see in the bolded statement above that it indicates Windows Folder!

2. This recommendation may be futile but, uninstall Multimedia and setup it up again (Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, scroll down to that item and remove the checkmark from it. Please note, you may want to click the button labeled "Details" and either write down which boxes Multimedia consist of and are used on your system -- particularly Windows Media Player since you may have a newer version -- and subsequently when reestablishing Multimedia use those same items. If you had rather not use the checkmark indicated on the first tab but rather remove the checkmark from the "sub-items", then do so. Afterwards, click the Apply button, the OK button, and then shutdown the computer and reboot Windows.

Warning: #1, have your Windows CD handy as it'll most likely ask for it. #2, go back into Control Panel and reestablish the same checkmarks removed.

Bill Gaston

Pardon ma ACKsent, ah'm frum Austin, Tex_As, USA

....its been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies.
Collapse -
by Dorothy M / June 15, 2004 12:26 AM PDT

I will post back later today, I have to go to work.

Thank you for your help!

Dorothy

Collapse -
by Dorothy M / June 16, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

I have studied your response and finally understood enough to go ahead and start the process but, then you wrote

"HAVE YOUR WINDOWS CD HANDY AS IT'LL MOST LIKELY ASK FOR IT."

I don't have a Windows CD it came preinstalled with Windows 98. So I haven't done anything yet. What will this mean?

I appreciate your assistance greatly!

Collapse -
Cabinets
by Cursorcowboy / June 16, 2004 8:19 AM PDT

Using the same Windows Find procedure, search the My Computer and give some names of the *.cab file (those are cabinets) names if found which would indicate that your vendor places a recovery partition on the hard drive perhaps. Names of cabinets in Windows 98 will be: Drivers??.cab and Win98_??.cab where the question marks are numeric numbers. If such are found and you're prompted to furnish the CD, you could point the focus of the search to where these files are (path) and everything work okay -- shouldn't matter if things are a mess anyway ,-)

Collapse -
(NT) Missing windows cd
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2004 8:20 AM PDT

Dorothy,

This is one of the lesser documented parts of using Windows. If you don't have a CD, the manufacturer places a folder with the essential contents of that CD on the hard disk. A usual name is c:\windows\options\cabs. If you can't easily find it, use Explore to search for win*.cab. The folder that contains them is suitable to browse to when some install program asks for the 'windows cd'.

Not really difficult, but you just have to know.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
NT -- Thanks.
by Cursorcowboy / June 16, 2004 10:13 PM PDT

Collapse -
Cursorcowboy, ...
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2004 11:34 PM PDT

If I had known that you were answering Dorothy's post at exactly the same time as I did, I wouldn't have done so, of course. You certainly don't need my help in this (and many, many other) respects.

And can you reveal the secret of replying to a post that says it can't be replied to? It's a mystery to me how it works.

Thanks in advance,

Kees

Collapse -
''Need'' all the help I can get. .
by Cursorcowboy / June 17, 2004 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Cursorcowboy, ...
Collapse -
Re: Missing mmsys.cpl Re-Install MS DirectX!!
by theHAC / July 16, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

I had the same problem with a client's PC after they tried to do some WIndows updates and upgrade to Media Player 9.

Bottom line, after doing all of the previously written, making sure their sound card drivers were correctly installed and updated, performed MS critical updates, etc. ALL I did to fix this was download and install the latest version of Microsoft's DirectX . The Multimedia / Sound icon reappeared in the Control Panel, they worked, as well as Media Player. Hope this helps!!

theHAC.com

Collapse -
Re: Missing mmsys.cpl Re-Install MS DirectX!!
by Dorothy M / July 17, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

Thanks I did do exactly that and the problem is solved.

All is back to normal. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Strange.
by Kees Bakker / June 13, 2004 5:38 AM PDT

If mmsys.cpl exists in c:\windows\system (you say you restored it with SFC), which is easy to check with Explorer, it can't be missing, in my opinion.
So please check and recheck.

And it isn't strange that all sounds work, because config panel applets are only needed to change settings, not to use them.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Strange.
by Dorothy M / June 13, 2004 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange.

I did a search for *.cpl files and it is listed there. However, when I doubleclick on it I hear a sound but it does not open.

I was unsure the first time I used SFC so I went back and did it again.

The Icons are still missing.

Something else that I don't understand is i went to Add/Remove Programs, unchecked Multimedia, restarted computer went back and rechecked Multimedia when it finished I got following message:

"RUNDLL error loading mmsys.cpl. One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found"

So I am at a complete loss.

Dorothy

Collapse -
See if ...
by Kees Bakker / June 13, 2004 6:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Strange.
Collapse -
Re: See if ...
by Dorothy M / June 14, 2004 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: See if ...

I did not find anything there that would solve the problem.

Your right, I don't want to reinstall Windows. So, I guess I am stuck for now unless I find something else to help.

Dorothy

Collapse -
Re: Strange.
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2004 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Strange.

1. I still find it strange that the above reported error is not found on the Microsoft Knowledge Base. In addition, I did a search for *.cpl files and it is listed there. However, when I doubleclick on it I hear a sound but it does not open.

Note: Back in one of my other replies I stated that not that it may matter at this point but let me point out -- we must be literal -- since I'm on the other end and cannot see your computer and even though you state, "it is listed there" in response to Kees' reply, I have to assume it read "Windows\System" even though not specifically stated.

2. Click Start, Run, type regedit and then press enter. Please note I have used some "periods" to separate items for clearer reading and they are not reflected in the registry items.

a. HKCR\CLSID\{00022613-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

(1) Click the Plus box in front of HKCR to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a backslash in the above address) until reaching the last. Click it, to bold/highlight.

(2) Is InProcServer32 listed as an address under it?

(3) Are there two entries in the right window pane for this item?

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmsys.cpl"
ThreadingModel. . . . . . . . "Apartment"

b. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\idffile

(1) Is DefaultIcon listed as an address under it?

(2) Is the following item in the right window pane for this item?

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmsys.cpl,1"

c. HKLM\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{00022613-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

(1) Is InProcServer32 listed as an address under it?

(2) Are there two entries in the right window pane for this item?

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmsys.cpl"
ThreadingModel. . . . . . . . "Apartment"

d. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\acm

Are there two entries in the right window pane for this item?

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Audio Compression"
Installer . . . . . . . . . . . . . "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmsys.cpl"

e. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\aux

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Auxilary"

f. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\icm

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Image Compression"

g. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\mci

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Media Control"

h. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\midi

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "MIDI"

i. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\mixer

Are there two entries in the right window pane?

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Mixer"

j. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaResources\wave

(Default). . . . . . . . . . "Audio"

Note:: HKLM == HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Collapse -
Re: Missing mmsys.cpl & Icons Sound & Multimedia
by Dorothy M / June 16, 2004 2:12 PM PDT

Bill Gaston, I have done this so I can continue to get your help.

Collapse -
Re: Missing mmsys.cpl & Icons Sound & Multimedia
by Kees Bakker / June 16, 2004 5:16 PM PDT

Dorothy,

It would surely help if you explained "this". It isn't self-explanatory at all, even in the context of the whole thread.

Tell the current problem, what you already did trying to solve it and, especially, your last few steps.

Then Bill can continue his good work well-informed and to-the-point.

Good luck,

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?