Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

by selby2005 / August 16, 2009 4:37 PM PDT

Following a simple RAM upgrade install, I noticed my some of my bookmark main folders were either missing or misplaced and shuffled into other bookmark folders. Some were also duplicated. I also noticed when rebooting AOL the following error message: The main.idx database file is damaged. Error: 65-FONL. I don't know if either of these have anything to do with my bookmarks getting messed up, but I've never had this happen before.

Can bookmarks just dissappear or can they be retrieved somehow. Please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MISSING & MISPLACED BOOKMARKS IN NETSCAPE 7.2 - pls help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MISSING & MISPLACED BOOKMARKS IN NETSCAPE 7.2 - pls help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Netscape Bookmarks
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

Search your system for these two files;

bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak

If you find them, double click on the bookmarks.html file, and this will open in your default browser as a list, (tree), of bookmarks. That can tell you if your existing bookmarks listing has been corrupt, or if it is something more serious with Netscape.

If the listing is corrupted, copy that bookmarks.bak file to somewhere save, then rename the extension on the copy to html. Double click the copy. This is the backup of bookmarks.html, and it will also open into your browser listing your bookmarks. If that is not corrupted, then you should be able to delete the original bookmarks.html file, rename the original bookmarks.bak file to bookmarks.html, and see if that works.

I can't help with the AOL problem, sorry.

Collapse -
by selby2005 / August 17, 2009 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Netscape Bookmarks

I appreciate the assistance, however, I have tried every version of both the bookmarks.html and bak, coverting the bak to html. They all pulled up fine, but all but one was my current bookmarks and that one was the altered version that is what I have now. The rest were all older versions. Any idea of what happened to the version that should exist before the install?

Collapse -
It's not looking too hopeful
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 17, 2009 6:53 AM PDT

I was hoping the bookmark.bak would have been the backup of the most recent one you had.

If that current bookmark.html is now corrupted, I am not sure there is anything you can do. You can try reorganising the links from within Netscape, but any missing ones may be lost for good I fear.

I can't say why this has happened. I wouldn't have thought it was to do with the upgraded RAM if that RAM is working well with no faults.

It's too late to say this now of course, but I often backup, (Export), my bookmarks file to a separate location off the computer, (CD, etc). I can lose a few if I don't back up after each change, but I can live with that.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?