Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

MISSING & MISPLACED BOOKMARKS IN NETSCAPE 7.2 - pls help!

by selby2005 / August 16, 2009 4:37 PM PDT

Following a simple RAM upgrade install, I noticed my some of my bookmark main folders were either missing or misplaced and shuffled into other bookmark folders. Some were also duplicated. I also noticed when rebooting AOL the following error message: The main.idx database file is damaged. Error: 65-FONL. I don't know if either of these have anything to do with my bookmarks getting messed up, but I've never had this happen before.

Can bookmarks just dissappear or can they be retrieved somehow. Please advise.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Netscape Bookmarks
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 16, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

Search your system for these two files;

bookmarks.html and bookmarks.bak

If you find them, double click on the bookmarks.html file, and this will open in your default browser as a list, (tree), of bookmarks. That can tell you if your existing bookmarks listing has been corrupt, or if it is something more serious with Netscape.

If the listing is corrupted, copy that bookmarks.bak file to somewhere save, then rename the extension on the copy to html. Double click the copy. This is the backup of bookmarks.html, and it will also open into your browser listing your bookmarks. If that is not corrupted, then you should be able to delete the original bookmarks.html file, rename the original bookmarks.bak file to bookmarks.html, and see if that works.

I can't help with the AOL problem, sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
MISSING BOOKMARKS
by selby2005 / August 17, 2009 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Netscape Bookmarks

I appreciate the assistance, however, I have tried every version of both the bookmarks.html and bak, coverting the bak to html. They all pulled up fine, but all but one was my current bookmarks and that one was the altered version that is what I have now. The rest were all older versions. Any idea of what happened to the version that should exist before the install?

Collapse -
It's not looking too hopeful
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 17, 2009 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: MISSING BOOKMARKS

I was hoping the bookmark.bak would have been the backup of the most recent one you had.

If that current bookmark.html is now corrupted, I am not sure there is anything you can do. You can try reorganising the links from within Netscape, but any missing ones may be lost for good I fear.

I can't say why this has happened. I wouldn't have thought it was to do with the upgraded RAM if that RAM is working well with no faults.

It's too late to say this now of course, but I often backup, (Export), my bookmarks file to a separate location off the computer, (CD, etc). I can lose a few if I don't back up after each change, but I can live with that.

Sorry.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!