Storage forum

General discussion

missing hd space?

by teknewbie / January 22, 2005 3:17 PM PST

hello, I just recently purchased a new samsung 80 gig hard drive and did a clean win 2000 install on it, however once I was done and checked in my computer and looked at the c: drive it says it only has a capactiy of 7.82 gigs, also when I did the install I chose to use ntfs but it says im using fat file system, is this a reason for the missing size? the computer is an hp x86 with 32 kb ram.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing hd space?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing hd space?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fat 16
by skippyd333 / January 22, 2005 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: missing hd space?

your using the old fat 16 format. You must choose to use the large file system. which will be fat32 or ntfs. Also, 2000 requires at least 128 megs of ram.

Collapse -
wrong file system
by skippyd333 / January 22, 2005 3:51 PM PST
In reply to: missing hd space?

your using the fat 16 file system. you must choose to use large file system in the beginning. Which would be fat32 or ntfs. You also need at least 128 megs of ram for 2000.

Collapse -
reinstall?
by teknewbie / January 22, 2005 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: wrong file system

is there a way to change this now or do I have to do a complete reinstall? btw I didi choose to use ntfs so I have no clue to what happened

Collapse -
only way I know
by skippyd333 / January 22, 2005 4:09 PM PST
In reply to: reinstall?

is to start over. did you use a disk to format your drive besides 2000? you should of recieved another disk with your new drive. You can also use a old 98 or ME startup disk and boot to dos and type fdisk. choose large disk format, delete partition then make new. you would need to go into your bios first and change to floppy boot first.

Collapse -
still stuck
by teknewbie / January 29, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: only way I know

after I make new partition what do I do, I trie to format from dos but couldnt so I used win 98 cd because I do not have enough memory to run win 2000 and the hard drive still only came up showing 7.82 gig's. btw the option i was to choose when it was time to make new partition was make primary dos partition correct?

Collapse -
can't be fat16
by ParnaoidGuy / January 27, 2005 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: wrong file system

File system issue:

Fat16 has a hard limit of 2gb in 9x and 4 Gb in NT based oses.

It is not fat 16.

Probably fat32.
from a run line type "convert c:"(or d: or whatever)" /fs:ntfs" to convert to ntfs.

Size:

Is it 7.82 or 78.2 ?

Computers think in a base 2 system, so where we think 1000 MBs to a GB they think 1024. So reporting is usally off because that.

Collapse -
can someone help
by teknewbie / January 29, 2005 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: can't be fat16

ok I have figured out the formatting and partitioning issues...(thx for the help) but no matter what I do and I chose large disk support and everything as instructed but it still is only showing as it's an 8 gig hard ddrive instead of 80, im at wits end and dont know what to do to get it to use all of my disk space

Collapse -
No help I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2005 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: can someone help

From what I can tell you have a many year old machine with a BIOS that may not understand large drives. You'll want to try some 32GB drive, then under 64GB drive to see where its limit is.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.