Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Missing files.

by Aourion / September 5, 2008 5:04 PM PDT

I used the search button, but alas--I suck. So can anyone give me a play by play to recover missing files? I booted up my computer after a manual reset to find a folder I frequent missing. I looked in the "my Recent Documents" history to find the files missing. I already downloaded and installed PC inspector, but I have no idea how to use it...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need More Information...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 6, 2008 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing files.

What EXACTLY did you do to perform the "manual reset"? Simply reboot the computer? Something else? System Restore maybe? Why did you need to do the manual reset?

So a file or folder simply disappeared after you rebooted the computer?Strange....but we need information such as the operating system, whether you've got malware on the machine, the type of file you're looking for, etc.

As to PC Inspector, have you checked their website? Read the manual for that program yet?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
I screwed up.
by Aourion / September 6, 2008 9:25 AM PDT

I made an improper shutdown by holding the power button to turn off the computer. That was a no-no. I'm positive this led to the misplacement of my folder. My computer froze, I'm not sure it was a crash or not... but the damage has been done.

Basically i lost an image folder with all of my personal stuff, photo's, music. It was just a basic storage folder. I tried system restore, but that doesn't seem to behave; it's turned on, but no restore points we're shown. Thus pissing me off a little. Thinking that the missing files should have been detected upon boot, I tried to initiate scandisk, it attempted to fix my system files...but I don't have my window's CD. PC inspector, which I downloaded to my main drive, (the one i'm trying to find the lost data)soon as it's initiated--just shuts itself down.

So, i'm stuck.

My OS is: Windows XP 2002. Any other info that I could provide?

Collapse -
cant run scandisk either...
by Aourion / September 6, 2008 11:55 AM PDT

I tried to run scandisk,when i hit the check now button and click the two boxes, A window comes up saying "windows was unable to complete disk check"

So...crap.

What can I do?

Collapse -
There's No Reason Such A Folder Should Disappear...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

...simply because you pressed the power button.. That said, have you tried simply doing a search for the picture files.. Click on Start-Search to open the Search window, then choose "All Files and Folders" and make sure the "Look in" line shows the C: drive. Next, in the "All or part of the file name" line, type "*.jpg", (That's assuming you had .jpg picture files in the folder..), then click on the "More Advanced Options" drop down arrow, and place a check mark in the boxes next to "Search System Folders", "Search hidden folders", and "Search Subfolders". It may still exist on your drive but was placed in a different location and hunting for all files with .jpg file extension should find them.

By the way, Windows XP doesn't have a "scandisk" program.. It DOES have "Error Checking/chkdsk" (Check Disk) and if you can't run it, then there are other things that may be wrong.. Actually, if you're trying to find missing files, it's probably not a good idea to run Chkdsk at this time.. It would make the files more difficult to find.

And more importantly, where are your backups for these important files and folders.?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I found the problem
by Aourion / September 8, 2008 3:45 PM PDT

My hard drive is raw apparently. Unformatted right? Well I need to recover files form my Raw hard drive, is there anything I can do. (Without shelling out a sum of chash?

Collapse -
For not much...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2008 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: I found the problem

Try these for free since they will tell your for free if they will work.

GETDATABACK
ZERO ASSUMPTION RECOVERY

Use google to find them and then it's just a matter of "Are my files worth this small amount of money?"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.