Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing file(s) .VXD

by towerpants / April 22, 2004 3:21 AM PDT

In attempting to clean up & speed up my PC I must have deleted a file required for Windows to display properly on my monitor. On boot up just prior to Windows booting, I get the following...
"Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or System.ini file refers to this device file but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
AGARTD.VXD
Press a key to continue."

When I press a key, Windows boots properly but the Display is screwed up (looks like the screen when you boot in safe mode). The problem is I don't know what file I may have deleted. I looked at the system.ini file by running msconfig but nothing seems to be related. I recall uninstalling where possible & deleting the following programs (using Add/Remove Programs) prior to the problem; InCD, Creative Play Center, WinAmp, WinFast & some others I can't recall) I have a ATI 3D Rage Pro display adapter, Creative SB16 Emulation
Is the message suggesting that this one file is missing & if I replace it, everything will work OK? And where can you find this file?
Thanks for any help anyone can give

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing file(s) .VXD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing file(s) .VXD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by Josh K / April 22, 2004 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing file(s) .VXD

Sounds like you deleted a file belonging to your display driver. Reinstalling the driver (or downloading and installing the most current one) should resolve the problem.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by towerpants / April 22, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

I wish it was that easy. Here's the twist (I think). The missing file is from an old video card (winfast/winfox) When this card died I replaced it with an ATI 3D Rage Pro. I had already attempted to find an updated driver for the ATI card through device manager however the adapter checked out O.K. with no files found matching the missing file desciption. Then I recalled the Winfast card & did remember deleting Winfast/Winfox in the Add/Remove. I guess I thought because the card was no longer in use, should be no problem deleting the program (it was also in my boot sequence) This afternoon I found the Winfast disk & sure enough the AGARTD.VXD file is on the disk, actually in 2 directories. However, the card itself is long gone & when I tried to run install.exe it wouldn't install to my hard drive. Does the hardware need to be installed for the software to run? So, I copied the file to my C drive but when I reboot, my computer doesn't see the file (obviously because it wasn't properly installed) Any ideas?
Thanks Chris

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2004 9:11 PM PDT

All vxd's are located in windows\system-folder. Did you put it there? Or just on a random place on the c:-drive.

Vxd's are loaded from the registry, mostly. Search for it with regedit, and see what happens if you delete it there. Make a note how it was, to be able to go back.

Did you actually try what Josh suggested (reinstalling the video card)?

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by towerpants / April 22, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

I copied it into a directory where I keep video driver info. I'll move it to a windows system folder. Any specific one that will ensure it gets read when system reboots?
When you say look in the registry, do you have any idea where?
Thanks Chris

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by towerpants / April 22, 2004 11:58 PM PDT

Sorry forgot to answer your last question - I don't have the card to attempt to reinstall - it crapped out long ago. What I tried to do was load the software (the original disk that came with the card) onto my hard drive to find the missing file.

Collapse -
I meant to ask ...
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2004 5:00 AM PDT

if you'd uninstalled and reinstalled your current videocard, as Josh suggested. The old one shouldn't be interesting (in principle), it's amazing that it comes into view here.

And regarding regedit: it has a Find option. A good place to look for vxd's (if Find doesn't find it) is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SharedDLLs or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD
but you'll find many places in between.

Removing VXD's from the registry is risky. Be sure you know the scanreg /restore procedure, or know enough of MS-DOS (cd, attrib, copy) to make a copy of system.dat and copy it back if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:I meant to ask ...
by towerpants / April 24, 2004 6:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I meant to ask ...

Thanks for replying. You are right of course re: the registry. FYI - Good News, Bad News. Good is, it's fixed. Bad is, I neglected to back up my registry settings (hey, it was Friday...) so when I restored I got some really old s$%*!! Of course, I messed everything up, everything from Acrobat, telephone software I needed for my business, virus/firewalls etc, IE settings, bank stuff & the list goes on. At that point I said to hell with it & deleted the missing file from the registry (it was in the second one you outlined above) Fixed the display perfectly. Had to uninstall a lot of stuff that got corrupted & download a lot of stuff to replace it. Word to the wise - wait to hear from you gurus before you blindly start changing stuff. Problems can get a lot worse very very quickly!!

Collapse -
scanreg /restore ...
by Kees Bakker / April 24, 2004 6:41 AM PDT

(after booting in MS-DOS) goes back 1 to 5 days, according to your choice. Most of the times, this is acceptable, because you lose only a few days of installs or less.

It's especially useful if you mess things up during a day, because you can easily go back to the state of affairs of the morning, and try again.

Better next time?

Kees

Collapse -
Re:I meant to ask ...
by towerpants / April 24, 2004 6:44 AM PDT

Thanks for replying. You are right of course re: the registry. FYI - Good News, Bad News. Good is, it's fixed. Bad is, I neglected to back up my registry settings (hey, it was Friday...) so when I restored I got some really old s$%*!! Of course, I messed everything up, everything from Acrobat, telephone software I needed for my business, virus/firewalls etc, IE settings, bank stuff & the list goes on. At that point I said to hell with it & deleted the missing file from the registry (it was in the second one you outlined above) Fixed the display perfectly. Had to uninstall a lot of stuff that got corrupted & download a lot of stuff to replace it. Word to the wise - wait to hear from you gurus before you blindly start changing stuff. Problems can get a lot worse very very quickly!!

Collapse -
Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by towerpants / April 22, 2004 12:50 PM PDT

I wish it was that easy. Here's the twist (I think). The missing file is from an old video card (winfast/winfox) When this card died I replaced it with an ATI 3D Rage Pro. I had already attempted to find an updated driver for the ATI card through device manager however the adapter checked out O.K. with no files found matching the missing file desciption. Then I recalled the Winfast card & did remember deleting Winfast/Winfox in the Add/Remove. I guess I thought because the card was no longer in use, should be no problem deleting the program (it was also in my boot sequence) This afternoon I found the Winfast disk & sure enough the AGARTD.VXD file is on the disk, actually in 2 directories. However, the card itself is long gone & when I tried to run install.exe it wouldn't install to my hard drive. Does the hardware need to be installed for the software to run? So, I copied the file to my C drive but when I reboot, my computer doesn't see the file (obviously because it wasn't properly installed) Any ideas?
Thanks Chris

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by z7707 / April 22, 2004 3:00 PM PDT

VXD problems? Good luck in fixing it! I have yet to hear of anyone fixing it.
I had installed McAfee AntiVirus and then uninstalled for a much better Antivirus software (professional type). Upon uninstalling McAfee I got the identical same thing you got on boot up.
I reinstalled McAfee trying to rid the problem - no such luck! McAfee also did some other wierd things to my PC. After consulting many techies, I decided the best was was to format and start from scratch.
I had a fellow who knows DOS like the back of his hand take a whack and he failed miserably!

Collapse -
increase settings of (minsps) in system.ini
by shelbyfy / October 8, 2008 5:37 PM PDT

fix this problem ibm computer e series 240 aptiva

Collapse -
(NT) What exactly do you mean here?
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2008 5:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Missing file(s) .VXD
by joskar / April 22, 2004 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Missing file(s) .VXD

my missing file is vsdata95.vxd

Collapse -
vsdata95.vxd
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2004 9:06 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.