HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Missing Documents and Settings folder

by pALI G / September 23, 2007 6:36 PM PDT

Hi,

yesterday i lost my documents and setting folder. I don't deleted it. Simply when i logged into my pc i got a error:

Folder C:\Documents and Settings\<ACCOUNT> is not accessible. Access is denied.

Folder is not invisible or something else.

I try chckdsk, Malicious Software Removal Tool, Nod, create new account...

But when I start windows in safe mode everything is ok, folder is there and i can create new account, but in normal mode there is still error.

Any solutions?

Thank you very much! and sorry for my English )

Best regards, pALI G.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Missing Documents and Settings folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Missing Documents and Settings folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you see the folder in Normal Mode?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 7:53 PM PDT

You say it's missing, but then you say "Folder is not invisible". I'm not sure what not invisible means.

If you use Windows Explorer, (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer), and navigate by clicking the + signs through My Computer, C drive, Documents and Settings, can you see the folders there?

If so, then you need to Take Ownership. Microsoft guides you through how to do this;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421

Mark

Collapse -
RE: Can you see the folder in Normal Mode
by pALI G / September 23, 2007 8:15 PM PDT

Thank you for you reply.

"Folder is not invisible" = Folder is not marked as "Hidden" in folder properties.

No, in Normal mode i don't see that folder. Folder is missing, i don't have any icons in desktop, Internet Explorer can not write to folder C:\Documents ...\ etc...

But in Safe mode is everything ok.

Thank you!

Collapse -
Then check that you are logging on as an Administrator.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 8:19 PM PDT

It seems like your account has been changed to a limited user account.

But I am confused. You mention Internet Explorer where I said Windows Explorer. They are not the same thing.

What happens when you navigate to the C drive using Windows Explorer? Do you not see any folders at all? If you do, can you see Documents and Settings? There must be a folder for Documents and Settings, even for a limited user.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Then check that you are logging on as an Administrator.
by pALI G / September 23, 2007 8:47 PM PDT

Hi,

im logging on as an Admin. This error is same for every user (in normal mode).

With Windows Explorer I can see C drive, and all folders in C drive except folder Documents and Settings. This folder is missing.

Collapse -
Then try the folder's attributes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 8:51 PM PDT

Strange.

In Safe Mode where you can see the Documents and Settings folder, right click the folder and see if its "Hidden" attribute has been set. If so, de-select it.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Then try the folder's attributes
by pALI G / September 23, 2007 8:54 PM PDT

No, folder is not marked as "Hidden".

Thank you for your time!

Collapse -
Very strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 9:18 PM PDT

I'm reaching my limits here.

Do you have a My Documents folder anywhere, eg in your Start menu? If so, what happens if you try to open one of the folders inside, like My Pictures? The full path should appear in the address bar like this;
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\My Documents\My Pictures

You could try a registry change but you need to understand the risks involved with changing the registry. Any changes will not take effect until you reboot, but changing or deleting a registry key could make your OS completely unworkable. So I would proceed with caution. Here's the site that suggests the registry change;
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36827.aspx

If that doesn't work then I would be looking at a repair install.

Mark

Collapse -
If you say ...
by Kees Bakker / September 23, 2007 8:19 PM PDT

"I tried create new account", do you mean you get this error message in normal mode in ALL existing accounts and in ALL new accounts you create?

Kees

Collapse -
Re: If you say ...
by pALI G / September 23, 2007 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: If you say ...

Yes, in all existing and all new created accounts I get this error.

And in all this accounts is Documents and Settings folder missing.

But when I start windows in safe mode in all accounts is everything alright. Folder is there and windows can read and writ into this folder.

I try set full permission for this folder and try find malware.

Collapse -
hope this helps
by Duke Vyner / July 19, 2010 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: If you say ...

this is a very old post but if someone else is having this problem hopefully this will help u i'm having the same problem but i managed to find my files in the users folder of course this didn't fix my problem you have to restart your computer windows should use the default settings blank screen with the recycle bin find the users folder and find your start menu goto applications, accessories, system tools and run a system restore this still won't fix it but you should be able to create a new user account copy your old stuff from out of the users folder into the appropriate folders in documents and settings if u can't find docs and settings then click my documents in my computer and backspace in the address bar until you have documents and c:\documents and settings

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.