Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

missing 'display' features in control panel

by GemTombs / April 24, 2008 5:07 PM PDT

Yesterday I tried to uninstall my previous graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 8500) to install a new one, Saphire Radeon X1650. However, in doing so I accidentally uninstalled some motherboard drivers as that is also NVIDIA. I have now reinstalled all the drivers on the motherboard CD BUT it is coming up with error messages when loading:

Initially it is saying "fail to load nvcpl.dll", and then stating that there is a problem with SW20.exe and it must close. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics card, reinstalling the motherboard drivers again and eventually tried the Windows XP recovery disc. However during the recovery it stated it could not copy the apr9t8dk.sys file and had to abort the recovery. Does anyone have any idea what I've done?!

My motherboard is the ASUS M2N4-SLI. The main problem is that I cannot get into the 'display' folder in the control panel and thus cannot set up my new graphics card properly. Hope someone can help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing 'display' features in control panel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing 'display' features in control panel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More than 2.0GB RAM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:36 AM PDT

If so, downsize during restore. Also duplicate the restore CD just in case it's not reading proper. Always a good idea to have duplicates of CDs you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
uninstall your display adapter in device manager
by ramarc / April 25, 2008 1:00 AM PDT

and put the 8500 back in. when you reboot don't allow windows to add drivers for it.

get the latest mobo drivers, install those and reboot.

open Add or Remove Programs and choose 'NVIDIA drivers'. Select 'Remove only the following', check NVIDIA Display Driver and click [Remove] and shutdown.

swap the video cards and reboot. don't allow windows to add drivers for it. now install the catalyst drivers.

Collapse -
Device Manager does not show Display Adapter for NVidia
by Rick75230 / May 19, 2008 12:15 PM PDT

I just fixed this problem on two machines. (Actually, one physical machine with two hard disks, each of which can boot Windows.) The problem suddenly appeared with two different NVidia AGP cards, the GeForce MX4000 (64Mb) and MX440 (32Mb).

I have a Soyo Motherboard SY-P4VGA with VIA Technology chips. I'm running WinXP Home with Service Packs 2 and 3.

The problem turned out to be the VIA CPU to AGP Controller driver, a 2003 version from VIA Technologies. When I rolled back the driver to the Microsoft version suddenly Display Adapter was back. These are the ones that work:

Ver. 5.2.2600.5512 date 7/1/2001
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\VIAAGP.SYS

*** Microsoft sends the VIA Technologies driver as an Automatic Update. ***

To access this:

Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> System devices ->
VIA CPU to AGP Controller
Right-click -> Properties, Select Driver Tab

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?