Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

missing cursor file

by Surprisechupka / February 10, 2007 2:38 AM PST

My whole cursor (windows) file is missing! The only change I have made to my computer was installed Windows media player 11 - after that --Pooof! No cursor file ... Have looked everywhere - puff of smoke. How do I get a copy of that file or will I have to do a new windows install? I have tried system restore - no luck.

I have a Tosh laptop so my backup windows requires a full system restore - no way to pick and chose the files I want to add back.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Help please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: missing cursor file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: missing cursor file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whatever do you actually mean by ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 10, 2007 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: missing cursor file
My whole cursor (windows) file is missing! ?

If you actually mean that the pointer itself is not visible, have you tried another mouse or checked to ensure that your current mouse is plugged in? It could also indicate a problem with your graphics card driver--try updating it.

Try the mousekeys (you can control the cursor with the keypad keys).

Step by step instructions:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/mousekeys.aspx

If you mean that the cursor shape has changed that too can be controlled through Control Panel.
Collapse -
Cursors, points all poooof!
by Surprisechupka / February 10, 2007 2:13 PM PST

Thanks for your reply Edward. No, I do not mean my pointers and cursors are invisible I mean they are NON-existant. The cursor file under Windows is as empty as Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

It is not my graphics card driver- checked all that first off Makes no sense the file would be there and working one moment, have to restart the computer for the install to be complete and when it does the cursor file has gone up in a puff of smoke. I guess I am not so much a newbie as as Middlie. Have enough knowledge to check all that stuff before I come whining here. HA! Guess I confused a few by using "cursor" when it was really my pointers that went poof - my cursor seems to be just fine. Guess now I must go in search of the windows cursor file .... Have been also giving it some thought and wonder if one of my fool spyware programs deleted it when windows restarted .... Grrrrr!

Collapse -
So you are saying that the...
by Edward ODaniel / February 11, 2007 5:22 AM PST
CURSORS directory (folder) is empty?

First, try searching your hard drive for *.cur (the cursor icons). It is possible that you (or a program) inadvertently moved them to another location on the disk--if you find them move them back to %systemroot%\cursors.

If you don't find any you can re-install them by making use of the Windows Add/Remove programs applet to add the mouse pointers (they are located under the Accessories). You may first have to unselect them then after "uninstalling" them, reselect them and re-install.

Alternatively you could search your Windows CAB files for *.cur (also for *.ani if you use the animated cursors) and copy them to the CURSORS directory. (ZipScan would make this option easy - http://www.foobarsoftware.com/ - you can normally do this using Windows Explorer but sometimes it has problems with some CAB files)

Then make use of the Mouse applet to select the pointers of your choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!