Cameras forum

Question

Mirrorless cameras

by mopscare42 / September 3, 2013 2:49 AM PDT

I have been looking at a new small camera and like the option of interchangeable lenses, but have some questions.
I now have a Canon 60D DSLR and a Nikon L810 point and shoot.
The 60D is a great camera, but not one I want to lug around somewhere like the crowded shops and trolley cars in San Francisco or the Metro in DC.
The 810 is about the right size and does good on picture quality, but is very slow to focus unless you have lots of time and light. So am looking at a better P&S camera.
I have read a few articles on mirrorless cameras, but still don't understand the advantage over a good P&S with a zoom lens.
Is there any advantage and if so what is it?

Thanks
Wayne

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mirrorless cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mirrorless cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
IMO
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Mirrorless cameras

In my opinion the move to mirrorless can result in less parts, less cost, possibly longer life span and a more direct path from image to sensor. It will upset the folk that insist on a view of the image TTL (through the lens) but as processing speeds went up over the years I think mirrorless models with a viewfinder are a really good idea.

I won't miss all the noises that occur when the mirror moves inside the camera. I'm sure you won't either.

Your slow to focus comment is mildly interesting. When we move up from point and shoot models we may want to manually focus. Low light focus speeds are always slower. Not much to discuss here.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by mopscare42 / September 3, 2013 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: IMO

I totally agree with less parts doing the same job is much better.
The price of the mirrorless camera have really come down in the last year and some them are down to about the same price as some P&S cameras.
As for the slow focus on the Nikon L810, I was just comparing it to my Daughters Canon SX280 and not my DSLR.
Nikon did release a firmware update to 1.1 for the problem, but that didn't seem to help much.
I am curious about the mirrorless cameras and beings we have a big camera store in Spokane that stocks them, I think I will go take a look at them.
The view finder is another big plus for me.
Thanks again for the replay and will let you know what I think after actually handling one.

Collapse -
Repeat. Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the reply.

The reduced noise from the camera should make it more acceptable at more functions. That is most folk ask folk, even the photographer to refrain from taking pictures during some events because of the noise. We can reduce the need for the flash (I find a fixed lens, non-zoom) to outperform the stock zoom lens so that the flash may not be required at all.

So now I have a high end sensor, no flash, no click clack as the mirror moves around and I think I can get by with the electronic viewfinder.

Remember that I won't write I'd go with just a big screen on the rear as that removes a lot of the image stabilization you get from using the viewfinder.
Bob

Collapse -
I will be getting one!
by mopscare42 / September 3, 2013 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Repeat. Sorry.

I was able to play around with different brands of the mirrorless cameras and like them all, but the Sony brand seems the better camera. I had only connected Sony with TVs, Blu-ray players etc. but they make a excellent camera.
You mention the noise or lack of and there is very little noise as you stated which would make it excellent for weddings and social events where noise has to be held to a minimum.
The salesman took the lenses off the Canon, Nikon and Sony to show me they all have a different size sensor.
The Nikon and Canon was the smallest with the Sony being quite a bit bigger. It showed in the pictures with the Sony being noticeably better.

Collapse -
A larger sensor usually needs a larger lens.
by MarkatNite / September 4, 2013 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: I will be getting one!

So if you want to cover a similar full frame equivalent focal length as the Nikon L810 ... actually, I don't think you can with a native E-mount lens, so you'd have to go to the A-mount 70-400mm plus an adapter (and you'd still need a second lens to cover the 25-70mm range), and I wouldn't be surprised if mounting a lens that large on a (NEX) camera body that small gave rise to some handling/balance issues.

Personally, I feel that m4/3 splits the difference between a compact and DSLR better - Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Mirrorless cameras are fun
by hjfok / September 20, 2013 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Mirrorless cameras

I have had the Canon 5D Mk II and the S90 for quite a while, and have been happy with them. But recently I bought the Olympus micro 4/3 PL5 for my scuba diving. I actually like it quite a bit, and have been using it for traveling and underwater photography. The system is very light. I have the camera with kit lens, a tele, the Panasonic fish eye, the flash, filters and lens care kit all fit into a small compact carrying case that all together weighs no more than my D-SLR camera body. The Panasonic micro fish eye is an amazing little lens with great optics, and very fun to use on land and underwater. I also like the HDR bracketing of the Olympus PL5, there are multiple customizable settings. With Photomatrix, the HDR shots are amazing. I now use the Olympus most of the time, and take my D-SLR out for serious portraits and low light action shots. The fish eye and HDR function have given a fresh breath of creativity to my photos.

I got the Olympus instead of the Sony because it has a factory diving UW case that is well made and inexpensive. The kit lens is very compact and did well even 80 feet under water with my UW strobe. Its lenses are also more compact with a wider selection and better pricing than Sony. But if you do not do any underwater photography or do not care about costs, then Sony is fantastic.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?