General discussion

mirror, mirrror, on the wall

Jun 24, 2005 8:18PM PDT
Mad-Cow confirmed from US

WASHINGTON, HIGH RIVER, ALTA. -- The United States confirmed what appears to be its first homegrown case of mad-cow disease yesterday, a discovery that Prime Minister Paul Martin said will give added impetus to the push to reopen the border between Canada and the United States to Canadian beef and cattle.

"That there is a case in the United States is not a surprise," Mr. Martin, who was touring flood-damaged High River, Alta., said yesterday. "Hopefully, [despite] judges' and court decisions and injunctions to the contrary, the view of the USDA [United States Department of Agriculture] and the U.S. administration should prevail.

Since the discovery of BSE in Canada, some U.S. ranchers have been smug -- and have even gone to court to suggest that Canadian beef is unsafe compared against the American product. Canadian ranchers, meanwhile, have been quietly expecting their neighbours to one day step into their shoes.

Mr. Johanns conceded that the case has exposed problems with U.S. testing procedures and protocols. He pointed out that questions about the cow surfaced almost immediately after the animal tested negative last November, but that information was initially withheld by USDA officials

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: mirror, mirrror, on the wall
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: mirror, mirrror, on the wall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
and from the same article
Jun 24, 2005 9:12PM PDT
Japanese officials have assured him (Johanns) that the discovery would not affect efforts to reopen the lucrative market there to U.S. beef

jeez louise..... 'effort' all you want, you ain't goin' nowhere!

- Collapse -
This kind of news might make
Jun 24, 2005 9:26PM PDT

a lotta' chickens nervous out there.Wink

- Collapse -
Let's start with your post SUBJECT LINE
Jun 24, 2005 10:01PM PDT

"mirror, mirror on the wall"

And continue on to YOUR editing of the article to include the UNDERSCORING for emphasis.....

And you explain to me how this post (typical of things you personally post and state here that are very much anti-American and USA bashing), is NOT to be considered by mostly American and USA members here in SE to be baiting, taunting, and inflamatory. Please take into consideration that we are not coming to a CANADIAN forum and posting crap about your country every chance we get, but YOU are coming into CNET, which is based and owned and run in the USA by a USA company, and SMUGLY attempt to rag on us every chance you can.

Talk to me about how YOU are a kind, caring, and even worthy neighbor to any of us....on a personal level, because I don't believe that your fellow countrymen are anything at all like you. I've been to your country and the people I've met have never been anything but courteous and gentle; while you are obviously just the opposite, and I'm really glad I don't live near you or my property values would decrease rapidly.

I've come to the conclusion that your 14 week work year leaves you with too much time on your hands and far too many fewer friends to talk to. You obviously don't use the extra time you have for your hunting and fishing you claim to love so much because you are in here non-stop day-in-day-out deliberately disrupting a community that could have been a place for you to be welcomed in except for your hatred that has no outlet other than anonymity.

What a waste of a human being that otherwise shows partial intelligence.

TONI

- Collapse -
ouch!
Jun 24, 2005 10:13PM PDT

And let your best be for your friend.

If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.

For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?

Seek him always with hours to live.

For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.

And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.

For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Kahlil??
Jun 24, 2005 11:40PM PDT
- Collapse -
Re:
Jun 24, 2005 11:40PM PDT

Toni, we may not agree with him or even his presentation... but... he has the right to his opinion. This is not your podium for your
personel views and harsh putdowns.. (however good you are at dishing them out_

- Collapse -
I agree; I also have the right
Jun 24, 2005 11:54PM PDT

to my own opinion regarding somebody else's opinion. I don't use this forum as my own podium any more than the rest of the members do who post their own opinions. That's the whole idea of a podium, now isn't it? Everybody gets to step up to the plate and post their opinions. If I happen to disagree strongly with those other opinions, I should be able to say so just as strongly as they do.....after all, I AM a member here just like they are. So yes, it IS a podium for my personal views, just as much as it is for all the members.

I don't have the ability to remove my red M when I post unless I want to create a new (and forbidden) account just for that purpose. The red M carries over from all the rest of the forums I am a moderator in and I have no control over when it does or doesn't appear here.

99% of what I post is as a member....not as a Moderator. What I do behind the scenes in SE is as a Moderator. If people would understand that since it also pertains to the rest of the Moderators here, things might be a little easier for all to stop with the comments about how we should resign our Moderator status because they don't like what we say. Even the Moderators are subject to having posts removed by the other Moderators.....we are not given special treatment by each other and we don't get our feelings hurt when a post is removed when another Mod felt it was correct to do so.

When I post as a Moderator, it's obvious to all that that's the hat I have on at the time.

TONI

- Collapse -
The problem is, Toni
Jun 25, 2005 1:24AM PDT

that your post (even its title) is all about him and his right to an opinion, not about the opinion itself. Don't you find it ironic that the industry that has indeed been so harsh on the Canadians about Mad Cow (probably in an effort to decrease competition) is now "hoist by their own petard?" It's ironic -- but it's also further eroding our balance of trade with the world, and that's not good. I happen to agree with the comments of the SecAg about the relative safety of beef vs. crossing the street -- but we should have taken the same view with Canada long ago, and didn't. To keep things in the agricultural realm, "sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander." The problem is that many Americans (apparently the majority) expect special treatment and respect by the world simply because we're Americans. It just doesn't work that way -- you generally reap what you sow.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

- Collapse -
so you will reap what dk?
Jun 25, 2005 1:28AM PDT

your sucking up to them move there then you hate your country so much

- Collapse -
No, DK...the PROBLEM is
Jun 25, 2005 1:47AM PDT

not WHAT he posted, but rather the TONE used to post it that I find offensive to the max.....and you choose to leave his post stand the way it is without seeing it for what it was meant to be, coming from JP on a personal level rather than a newsworthy one.

I saw this story on CNN and ABC news yesterday afternoon, and felt that Canada had gotten a bad rap but before I had the chance to post my own personal comments about it and an individual apology for what happened with their meat market, JP decided to not post it as a news story but as a taunt with his own personal editing to do so.

TONI

- Collapse -
It's just bait...
Jun 25, 2005 2:40AM PDT

consider the source and ignore it.

Not a lot to do up there you know.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I tried ignoring the first 500 of them.
Jun 25, 2005 11:01AM PDT
- Collapse -
Response
Jun 25, 2005 4:11AM PDT
I saw this story on CNN and ABC news yesterday afternoon, and felt that Canada had gotten a bad rap but before I had the chance to post my own personal comments about it and an individual apology for what happened with their meat market, JP decided to not post it as a news story but as a taunt with his own personal editing to do so.

Canada got a bad rap months ago when Canada jumped through all the hoops and met all the requirements the US had imposed. The US government said it was OK for Canadian beef to be shipped across the border.

Then a group of US cattlemen went to court and found a judge to block the cattle.

The only thing that has changed is the fact that Mad Cow was discovered in a US born cow.

Was the fact that a US cow was discovered with Mad Cow the ''main factor'' in making you think Canada got a bad rap?

Canadian cattle are still not allowed across the border

Canadian beef producers 'devastated' by latest mad-cow setba

There was some support in this thread posted a couple of months ago, and those members were chastised.
- Collapse -
Evidently the apology that I planned to give
Jun 25, 2005 4:31AM PDT

is conditional to you for acceptance.....

Funny how some of you didn't hold to that same standard for Durbin's apology to our troops.......

What were your words before.....oh yeah.....'double standard'

Unfortunately, my apology to your country will be buried just as effectively as Durbin's was........

TONI

- Collapse -
As I've said before. Canada is getting what it deserves. It
Jun 25, 2005 9:15PM PDT

is closing its border, but expects the US to open up. There is another saying. Sow the wind, reap the whirl wind.

- Collapse -
It is closing its border,
Jun 25, 2005 10:31PM PDT
Border to remain open to U.S. beef

TORONTO, CANADA -- Canada, which two years ago was prohibited from exporting its cattle to the United States after a mad cow scare, has no intention of closing its borders to U.S. beef after Washington announced that a cow tested positive there, Canada's agriculture minister said.

The comments from Canadian Agriculture Minister Andy Mitchell came as Taiwan reimposed the ban on U.S. beef that it lifted just two months ago. Also, a Japanese government food safety panel expressed concern Saturday about the second confirmed American case, raising speculation that Tokyo may delay a planned resumption of U.S. beef imports.

The U.S. ban on Canadian cattle was imposed in May 2003 when an Albertan-born cow was found ill with bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE.

Your statement

Canada is getting what it deserves. It is closing its border, but expects the US to open up. There is another saying. Sow the wind, reap the whirl wind.

It appears the Canadian government is more forgiving
- Collapse -
Tell that to all the other businesses that are getting the
Jun 26, 2005 12:57AM PDT

shaft from the Canadian gov't. Do we care if Canada allows the importation of American beef? Is it a significant piece of business?

- Collapse -
Just a question MK.........
Jun 25, 2005 12:28AM PDT

Are you saying you enjoy reading the 90% USA trashing posts that JP puts on the board? Personally I think if he hates the USA enough to spend all of his time looking for nasty things to say against us maybe it's time he looked for a Canadian forum or maybe even just a liberal forum so he can post his trash in comfort!

- Collapse -
Re: you enjoy reading the 90% USA trashing posts
Jun 25, 2005 6:11AM PDT

where exactly does MK even hint that what you say is true?

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Fight with someone else! I am not going to bother with you!
Jun 25, 2005 6:56AM PDT
- Collapse -
and mk your such a........
Jun 25, 2005 12:41AM PDT

hes a troll period.

you take know pride in your country so be it.
just think if we all went to a public forum if candas have one and bashed them all the time.

and as to tonis replys there deserved , people who dont stand up let it continue to the anti american bs, so mk you should stand up or but out.

and yes you have a right to say what you say, the soldiers who fought fot your freedom died for you to whine.

but we allso have the right to to talkm back in defence of america.

dont like it the door swings both ways.
now i know ill get flack for this , but to bad im used to it.

we have a mod who is just like the anti usa group here, i dont see you saying DK please dont post this stuff, why the 1 sisdedness is typical

- Collapse -
MARK
Jun 25, 2005 1:32AM PDT

I take great pride in my country, even to the point, where I think we are great enough to listen to other 's criticisms and suggestions...

- Collapse -
And you don't see the difference
Jun 25, 2005 1:42AM PDT

between criticism and suggestions and flat out bashing, taunting, baiting? Especially when that is the ONLY thing that a few particular posters do? You rarely, if ever, see them go into a thread that is neutral and just 'chit-chatting' and you NEVER see a post from them regarding any other country that is negative, and you NEVER see a post from them regarding the faults, flaws, and outright political maneuvering about their own country?

Come on, MK....even you can be more fair and unjudgmental than that.

TONI

- Collapse -
re:
Jun 25, 2005 1:56AM PDT

"Come on, MK....even you can be more fair and unjudgmental than that"

Well, I am fair about these situations... I just don't believe we are always right....
But my post had nothing to do with his subject matter but your strong putdown of the person..

- Collapse -
From where I come from
Jun 25, 2005 2:25AM PDT

If you're stupid enough to throw the sh.. at a fan, expect the wind to bring it back atcha......

TONI

- Collapse -
well see what silence gets you
Jun 25, 2005 3:42AM PDT

you never stand up for our country thats your choice.

but dont blast those who stand up for it

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ...AND HE "PUTDOWN 200 PLUS MILLION OF US.
Jun 25, 2005 8:15AM PDT
- Collapse -
well mk
Jun 25, 2005 1:57AM PDT

i never see hear you standing up for your country you say you take pride in it . funny you never open your mouth for it.

you just lay back and let them throw sand and or worse on it.

if you took as much time to stand up for your country as you do nothing in silence.

- Collapse -
WE ARE GREAT ENOUGH....AND THEY BETTER BE...
Jun 25, 2005 8:13AM PDT

...."great enough to listen to other 's criticisms and suggestions..."

- Collapse -
with you on this one MK
Jun 25, 2005 1:03AM PDT

JP has a right to state his views, ToniH has a right to state hers....

and having said that, i think that if a "non-mod" were to be as "harsh" as ToniH in his/her replies, the post(s) would be pulled as soon as they appeared...

CNET Forums

Forum Info