Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7?

Sorry guys, I couldn't find a Windows 7 forum so I thought of asking this question here. I'm one of those ppl who held off on upgrading to vista due to it's rigorous hardware requirements.

Knowing Microsoft is tailoring the OS for netbooks as well as PCs, I was wondering what you guys thought about the possible minimum system requirements for Windows 7. Any speculations? What were the requirements for Windows 7 Pre-beta, for those of you who installed it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The NDA forbids us from telling.

In reply to: Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7?

To remove temptation this discussion must be locked.

Collapse -
I do not believe so...

In reply to: The NDA forbids us from telling.

Although we are prohibited from discussing recent builds as well as all internal communication we may be privy to, build 6801 may be referenced based on publicly available information and first-hand knowledge.

That said, the official requirements have not been set in stone, but the intention is to keep them the same as Vista with the user experiencing a somewhat noticeable performance boost, specifically with regard to RAM utilization.

"I'm lovin it!"
John

Collapse -
Same requirements eh..

In reply to: I do not believe so...

..that's good to hear. It's gonna be interesting to see how they manage to keep the requirements low and still be able to cram more new and useful features into the upcoming OS. I don't have any graphics card installed on my PC and was wondering if I upgraded to Windows 7, what kind of AGP 8X graphics card would render the OS well? Any recommendations?

Collapse -
AGP? Well?

In reply to: Same requirements eh..

Interesting combination of words. Happy

Graphical performance will not be the best, but you'll be able to enable Aero, play videos, etc. reasonably well using an AGP graphics card with 128MB or more VRAM while choosing from the following lines:

ATI Radeon:
X700
X800
X1300
X1600

nVidia GeForce:
FX5200
FX5500
FX5600
FX5700

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John :)

In reply to: AGP? Well?

I appreciate you taking some time out of your life to do some research; the options you presented were really helpful and affordable. Thank you for your valuable time and advice.Hope you and your family have an incredible new year Happy

Hassan

Collapse -
Dont know if my old puppy could run it--just askin if..

In reply to: AGP? Well?

-------HEY, i was wonderin, i got a pretty old comp:
OS Name.....Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version....5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer....Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer.... MSI
System Model....MS-6585
System Type....X86-based PC
Processor...x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2545 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date....American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T, 7/3/2002
SMBIOS Version...2.3
Hardware Abstraction Layer....Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory...1,024.00 MB
Total Virtual Memory...2.00 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
and i got a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
---------------------------I DONT KNOW A WHOLE BUNCH ABOUT COMP, BUT IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN, I THINK MY COMP IS A SERVER COMPUTER AND ITS PRETTY OLD----- DO YOU THINK I WOULD BE ABLE TO RUN THE WINDOWS 7 and/or WINDOWS VISTA? Appreciate Much!!

Collapse -
Yes, but...

In reply to: Dont know if my old puppy could run it--just askin if..

Your system is capable of running Windows Vista (and presumably 7), but note it is at the bare minimum recommended specifications so you would likely encounter a noticeable drop in performance while upgrading from XP SP3.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Thanks--- a bunch

In reply to: Yes, but...

i was always wonderin and now i know

-thanks

Collapse -
PS.

In reply to: The NDA forbids us from telling.

MS has me in shackles on this one. So what I know is ack.....

Collapse -
.,hn

In reply to: Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7?

i have 1 gig. how many gigs of ram recommended for windows 7?

Collapse -
(NT) 512MB minimum; 1GB recommended; 2GB+ ideal.

In reply to: .,hn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.