Video Cameras forum

General discussion

minidv or dvd comcorder

I hear everybody says that you can edit minidv tapes and then make a dvd and then watch it in a dvd player. My question is this, assume that I dont need editing. Then, is the quality of a dvd made from the minidv tape through one's computer is the same as that of the quality of a dvd from a dvd comcorder? Or is the dvd made from the minidv is better? Could some one please answer this. If there is no differnce, then I might as well go for a dvd comcorder, because I am not going to edit either way.

The other question I have is this. If I copy my recording from the minidv to a cd, can I reuse the minidv for recording again with out suffering quality? Or a minidv can be used only one time?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: minidv or dvd comcorder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: minidv or dvd comcorder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes but there are quality problems...

In reply to: minidv or dvd comcorder

Yes you can re-use a miniDV tape but as you re-use them you have a high chance of getting glitches in the audio and/or video. Most people only use a miniDV tape once. These errors are called "drop outs" to my knowledge.

Collapse -
mini dv

Mini-dvd camcorders record video in a form called Mpeg-2. This format highly compresses the video to make it smaller and fit on a dvd. The video is very good, but since it is already highly compressed, it makes editing difficult. If you want to edit your footage and then output that footage, it will need to be compressed again. This will result in some loss of quality each time.
Mini-dv does not compress the video, but records at full quality. The advantage is that you can edit your video at full quality dv and then worry about compression later. If you plan on doing any editing at all, get mini-dv. There is no subsitute for editing at full quality and many editing programs/dvd authoring programs let you choose the quality in which you compress the video for dvd later.
With Mini-dvd, the compression is done for you and you have no control over the quality of the compression.

Collapse -
DVD OR DV

I CURRENTLY OWN BOTH.
MY DVD IS SONYS DCR DVD 201
IT WAS A GIFT AND ALTHOUGH IT WAS A VERY NICE GIFT, I HAVE NO USE FOR IT.
THE SOFTWARE IS IMAGE MIXER (PC ONLY) NO FIRE WIRE MEANS ITS NOT COMPATABLE WITH ANY EDIT PROGRAMS.
ANYWAYS I COULD PUT IT DOWN FOR HOURS, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT A DV CAMCORDER IS BETTER IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE EXCEPT YOU CANT PUT THE TAPE IN YOUR DVD PLAYER(QUALITY, LENGTH OF REC. TIME, AND COMPATIBILITY.)AND LETS NOT FORGET "PRICE"
I HOPE THIS INFO. HELPS AND KEEP ON FILMING IN A FREE WORLD.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.