Camcorders forum

General discussion

MiniDV Choice

by chesterbud / April 10, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

Thanks to the 2 folks that recommended the review sites to look at.

I've gone through the reviews and have narrowed my choice down to 2 Camcorders. The Sony DCR-HC96 and Panasonic PV-GS320. I've not been able to see the Panasonic unit at a store yet but did see a GS300. In my mind I'm leaning towards the Panasonic units since I'm told the 3CCD gives brighter and clearer pictures than the single CCD. What are your recommendations on choice for me??

What is the difference between the GS 300 and 320??

Also what video editting software do you recommend. My PC has Movie Maker on it but it won't burn to DVD..only CD. Also I used Movie Maker to burn a slide show to CD but it wouldn't play in my TV DVD player. One of my DVD players said wrong format and the other said dirty disc (disk is new). What else should I have done??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MiniDV Choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MiniDV Choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think either camera you have on your
by boya84 / April 10, 2007 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: MiniDV Choice

short list will do you well.

Does your PC have a DVD burner? If not, that should be something you consider adding (internal or external). Also, does your PC have a FireWire port? You will need that to import the video from the camera...

If your DVD players (connected to your TVs), are older and you try to play formats it does not understand, you will get all sorts of error messages.

The bundled MovieMaker should be fine to get you started... what sort of budget would you consider for a movie editing application? Prices are all over the place.

Collapse -
Yes my PC
by chesterbud / April 10, 2007 4:41 AM PDT

has a firewire port (4 pin) and a DVD burner.

My one TV DVD is an older Sony Surround Sound probably 6-7 yrs old. The other is a Bose 123 Unit that is only about 3 years old. I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable on DVD burning and file formats. The file I tried is a windows media file. I will have to look to see if I can save using different file extensions.

Collapse -
so... instead of using a CD
by boya84 / April 10, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes my PC

since that is what you said you used the first time it failed, how about using a DVD?

In essence, my recommendation is for you to use a blank DVD disc in the DVD burner using DVD file format... rather than a blank CD.

Also, does your computer's DVD writer prefer -R or +R? Are you aware of any preference on the DVD players? I seem to recall the earlier Sony drives liking -R and Phillips wanting +R or something like that... The Sony device is fairly obvious, but I don't know what OEM drive is in that Bose...

Collapse -
I think I make be skuppered
by chesterbud / April 10, 2007 10:30 AM PDT

Movie writer which I created the slide show in only saves to the one format and it only burns to CD. Not sure I could burn it to a DVD with another program and do any better. Will have to try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
What kind of computer is it?
by boya84 / April 10, 2007 4:49 PM PDT

Are you sure it is a DVD writer? Could it be a DVD player - but a CD writer?

Collapse -
Yes it's a DVD burner.
by chesterbud / April 10, 2007 11:21 PM PDT

But I've never burned a DVD with it. I have some DVD RWs so I will try your suggestion but I'm still not sure the file extension will be acceptable to the DVD players I have.

Collapse -
When you "burn a DVD" the app *should* take care of the
by boya84 / April 11, 2007 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it's a DVD burner.

file extensions. This is not be like copying data files.

At the root, two folders are created during the DVD format creation process:
AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS

In those folders, various data files are created including .IFO, .VOB and .BUP files. The playback infrastructure merges these files into something useful - which you see on the screen... Your application should not require you to specify any of this.

And many older DVD players can't handle DW discs (that capability is typically specified on the front of the DVD player.

Generally, DVD players cannot play .AVI or .MOV files... or .PPT...

Collapse -
The PC is a Toshiba
by chesterbud / April 10, 2007 11:22 PM PDT

Satellite M30.

Collapse -
Microsoft Movie Maker 2../
by castingRod47 / April 11, 2007 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: The PC is a Toshiba

MSMM2..msmm2 is your file extension..it will only work in the Microsoft Movie Maker 2 Editng Window..
SAVE to MY COMPUTER..
..has a complete set of CONVERSION Formats..
mostly in WMV/wma Files..and even Portable Formats..
A CAMCORDER uses a DV File..and a Capture Device will allow for DV-avi File Conversion..for EDITING Purposes..
Useing the Microsoft Movie Maker 2..
for DVD Movies..requires you to CHOOSE the DV-avi conversion..DV-avi-->>DV-avi Conversion..
LOOK in the OTHER SETTINGS/that big DROP-down LIST..
Choose DV-avi..to SAVE your movie..stay in that File thru the whole EDITING Process..
Your Video Authoring Editing Software will convert(RENDER)that DV-avi FILE into a MPEG 2 FILE capable of PLAYBACK on a HOME DVD-Player..
Your DVD-Burner must match the type of BLANK-disk..
PLUS(+)
DASH(-)
Make 50-minute movies in High Quality Mode(2-Pass)..
this is the best time frame for 4.7 GB Blank Media..
MSMM2 is the best place to start a Video Project..
and DV-avi FILES can be imported into just about every other product on the market.

Collapse -
Good Information
by chesterbud / April 12, 2007 12:29 AM PDT

Thanks. I'll give it a try later tday.

Collapse -
Followed your advice
by chesterbud / April 12, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

Thanks for your advice. I just burned a DVD-RW and it worked great in both of my DVD players.

Collapse -
Movie Maker 2
by chesterbud / April 15, 2007 10:50 PM PDT

I have made a few slideshows using MM2 now and can't figure out why pictures when loaded to MM2 lose their sharpness??

I can look at my pictures on my hard drive and they are crisp and clear. When I bring them into MM2 they lose that clarity. Any ideas???

Collapse -
JPEG Quality..
by castingRod47 / April 18, 2007 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Movie Maker 2

If you take a Digital Still Photo..you can use the[arrow]Buttons to Rotate the Photograph..to be correctly alighned-->Vertical-Horizontal..
But....you can NOT change the Picture FRAME useing editing Programs via the PIXELS/like 240 x 480...and change it to 480 x 240..it most likely will distort the picture..
BLURRRRRRrrrrrrr.....????????????
When you IMPORT the jpg file..??
I have never had that happen..
When I take Digital Still Photographs..I use the 1024 x 768 size..
I will usually create a larger file size and allow a software program to RENDER that PROJECT into the desired Removable Media Format..
If I need to UPLOAD a FILE to a website..I do basically the same thing..I just choose the largest WMV File Size and run the File as an UPLOAD..
........640 x 480 as a Digital Still Picture will be used to UPLOAD to a webpage..unless the webpages asks for a specific size like 50KB photo's..
.........just the same in Digitla Video..I use the Large File(DV-avi)..and edit thru that file type..keeping it as the SAVED FILE..
when all is done..
My NERO 7 Ultra Edition will use MPEG 2 to:RENDER that LARGE FILE into a DVD Blank Disk Format..this seems to be the Quality of sharp-crisp..
even my Audio Files have grown from 96 kbps..to..192 kbps..and I just accept the longer RENDERING Times for Quality..
Seems to be that.

Collapse -
Thanks for the Reply
by chesterbud / April 18, 2007 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: JPEG Quality..

The pictures I imported are all 1600x1200. They lost substantial clarity once the import was done. Even now if I open the original picture it is clear. The MM2project same pic is blurry.

My son told me he has had the same thing happen to him.

I'm not sure what to do other than wait until I get my Panasonic GS320 and try the software included with it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.