Video Cameras forum

General discussion

mini tape converter/cartridge

by schmuttis / April 4, 2008 6:31 AM PDT


Someone made a tape for me using their digital camcorder. My problem is that it is on one of those mini tapes and I need to copy it to either a regular VHS tape or onto my PC. I've been looking all over for one of those cartridges that holds the mini tapes so that it can be copied. I not sure if cartridge is the proper name but I need the think that you use to hold the mini tape so it can be copied. I've been to Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. and no one has what I am looking for. First of all can someone tell me exactly the name of what I'm searching for? Secondly, can anyone lead me in the correct direction to find this item I need to copy the info on the mini tape. I'm running out of time.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mini tape converter/cartridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mini tape converter/cartridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the tape MiniDV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 6:39 AM PDT

If so there is no converter as you think about it. The CHEAP exit is a MiniDV camcorder to play and FIREWIRE to move it to the PC.

Collapse -
It's a Mini VHS
by schmuttis / April 4, 2008 7:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Is the tape MiniDV?

We have a MiniDV so I do know how to do that. I've just never converted a mini VHS as this is.

Collapse -
I would look for an adaptor on eBay.
by Kiddpeat / April 4, 2008 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a Mini VHS

I doubt very much that you will still find these in a store.

Collapse -
Is it VHS-C?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a Mini VHS
Collapse -
Yes - VHS-C
by schmuttis / April 4, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Is it VHS-C?

Yes, it's a VHS-C. Thank you!

Collapse -
VHS Convertor for video Hi-8
by Johnidak / April 11, 2012 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes - VHS-C

Hi All,
Does anyone know if there is a VHS convertor cassette, similar to the one available for VHS-C tapes but for Hi8 camcorder cassettes?
Many thanks

Collapse -
Same as above. No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 1:30 AM PDT

There has never been such a thing. The cheap convertor is some Hi8 camcorder to get the content out.

Sadly, I must point out this is discussed a lot. If you don't think this is the cheap exit, check into companies that convert it for you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.