Question

Mini-ITX / Micro-ITX Build for Gaming (1080p)

Hello,
Lets start right away, I´m not getting AMD, because I already own a Intel i7 9700K that was priced at same as a Ryzen 5 3600 so therefore, no thanks!
Second, it has to be a small factor case, sure they aren´t the smallest but I move once at month so... the problem is I´m living in Portugal and local store have limited chooses.

I have 2 cases "only". A Bitfenix Phenom M and a new released Lian TU 150. Don´t care about aesthetics or RGB because I won´t do it.
Here is what I planed (2 options). I like modding so I know Phenom M has a bad cooling solution/ airflow but I can maybe manage it? Not sure! I can drill holes on the side of the case, damn I can even drill holes and attach some sorte of fan to exhaust.

Option 1
- Case Micro-ATX BitFenix Phenom M P
- Fan BitFenix Spectre Pro Branco 230mm (Bottom)
- Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 120mm (2x)
- Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 140mm (2x)
- PSU Modular Seasonic Focus+ 650W 80+ Gold
- CPU Intel Core i7 9700K 8-Core
- Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock TF + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
- Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
- G.Skill Kit 16GB (2 x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18
- SSD Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVMe 2280
- GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB
- Monitor Asus 27" VG278Q FreeSync 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync

For this option, I´m planing to add 2 intakes (top) and 2 outtakes (140mm and 230mm). A side note, maybe I can fit a additional 140mm at side panel cutting it to exhaust? Would that any good?

Option 2
- Case Mini-ITX Lian Li TU150 (Silver)
- Fan be quiet! Silent Wings 3 High-Speed 120mm (2x)
- PSU Modular Corsair SF 600W SFX 80+ Gold
- CPU Intel Core i7 9700K 8-Core
- Cooler CPU be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
- Motherboard MSI MPG Z390I GAMING EDGE AC
- G.Skill Kit 16GB (2 x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL18
- SSD Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVMe 2280
- GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8GB
- Monitor Asus 27" VG278Q FreeSync 144Hz 1ms with G-Sync

In this case, well the intake comes from the front and the outtake goes rear, pretty simple. Can´t drill any holes since side-panel is window.

I do pre-order already the GPU and Monitor, they had a big discount and some offers.

Any additional help to is welcome. I do plan Overclock GPU and CPU, wanna reach the i7 9700K to 5.0GHz stable with safe temps.

Thanks alote!
Hug´s from Portugal!

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Mini-ITX / Micro-ITX Build for Gaming (1080p)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Mini-ITX / Micro-ITX Build for Gaming (1080p)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Time and time again

Folk build these and come back with heat buildup issues. My answers remain the same.
1. Use normal size cases.
2. Don't complain if mini/micro/nano builds overheat. Someone choose that. Live with it.

- Collapse -
Can´t agree

Can´t do it. To big and normal sizes doesn´t mean better "airflow" lol

At this point u should know there are good airflow cases, even TU150 has on of the best onces... u can even improve more if u mod it.

It isn´t much of an argument of ur side LOL...

- Collapse -
Then what is the question?

If you know how to deal with the heat, then what is the question?

For decades I've modded cases and you noted that so that's not the question.

- Collapse -
Here's what you do

Get a spare case the same size. Buy a 100w incandescent bulb. Put it inside the spare case with same number of fans running in it. Drop a temperature probe into it. Enjoy the heat readings.

- Collapse -
Figure 450 Watts?
- Collapse -
Yes

Might need a heat lamp for that, LOL. He could use a kill-a-watt between the PSU and the wall plug to see how much total watts he's drawing. Use an extension cord so he can watch it on his desk as he's playing those games, to see top wattage use. Glad I'm not a gamer, since I can use 30-50 watt CPU's instead. Mid size tower and unplugged my case fan since it never got hot enough with the one on PSU to justify it's noise and power use.

- Collapse -
The 342 is a real number.

For years I've come close on the Watts for the CPU and motherboard by using the CPU TDP (thermal design power.)

Sure there are more parts but under load the peak should be right around
95 + 342 or 427 Watts. I think I used to see 400 Watt bulbs at Home Depot.

- Collapse -
each watt creates....

3.4 BTU of heat. So 400 watts creates 1360 BTU's across an hour's time. That would be 22.7 BTU per minute. 1 BTU is the energy needed to heat 1 pound of water by 1° Fahrenheit. 1 pound of water is about 15-16 oz of water. So, an 8 ounce glass of water in each minute would heat at rate of 45 BTU per minute, and at room temperature of 70, it could be at 115 degrees farenheit or 46 Celsius.

- Collapse -
So it could be a fine kettle.

Add fish to complete the story.

- Collapse -
Microwave oven

Think about how hot a cup of water can be in half a minute in a $50 walmart special 700 watt microwave. Hot tea anyone?

- Collapse -
30 second gaming?

Sounds like the Fortnight of PCs.

CNET Forums

Forum Info