HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Migrating windows files to mac

by morph / August 24, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

Running
MACmini: Tiger (OSX10.4), Safari
IBMpc: XP(SP2), IE6
I'm switching over to my new MACmini from my old IBMpc and want to know how to migrate my personal files (Favorites, My Documents, Address Book, etc.) from the PC to the Mini. I have a CAT5e crossover patch cable cable but don't yet know how to use it, am sharing mouse, keyboard, and monitor via KVM switch, and use dialup Internet service.
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Migrating windows files to mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Migrating windows files to mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Migrating Files
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 6:41 AM PDT

In this particular case, probably the easiest way to transfer the files would be with the aid of a USB Thumbdrive. 128MB or 256MB should be sufficient.
The Favorites will have to be exported from IE, saved as a file and put on the thumbdrive. My document can just be dragged onto the drive in one swoop. Assuming it is large enough. Bear in mind that to open these files you will need the Mac version of the program that created them. Excel for Excel files, Word for Word, etc. It "might" be possible to export the Address book as a text file from, guessing, OE but that is something you will have to check for.
Once the stuff is on the drive, remove it from the PC and put it in the Mac. Drag the stuff off it into a folder, create one one the desktop to hold them for a while. Open Safari and import the favorites, ditto for Address Book and drag the My Documents to the Documents folder.
Job done, without too much sweat.
The Cross-over cable may not even be necessary for such a few things.
Hope it works for you

P

Collapse -
Migrating windows files to Mac
by MJM / August 26, 2005 12:11 AM PDT

Easiest--and smartest--move I've ever made. Word and Excel are identical on PC and Mac. File transfer is as simple as backing up to a CD/DVD/ThumbDrive or whatever you're using--and copying the material to the Documents folder on the Mac. You're out of luck w/ Publisher and Access files unless you can find someone who can save the data in some generic format. There is a Mac program called Pages that is the equivalent of Publisher, but the conversion is complex, and, in my case, didn't work all that well--it was easier to start over and create new pieces (biz card, brochure, etc.). I don't know a way to move an Access database to the Mac equivalent, "Keynote" is the Mac equivalent of Powerpoint, but, again, there's no easy migration. The easy business card template is in Appleworks.

Have to say that Apple tech support is quick, friendly and reliable. Good luck.

Collapse -
Access file to the Mac
by Bluebonnet / August 28, 2005 8:24 AM PDT

I moved my Access files by putting them in Excel and then transferring to the Mac. I then took it out of Excel and into File Maker Pro.

Collapse -
Neat Trick
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 28, 2005 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Access file to the Mac

Wish I had thought of it Happy

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.