Question

Migrating from 1080p to 1440p Gaming: Need some advices

Hello, finally, after 7 months of hard work saving pocket money and additional save ups from work already begun my transition from 1080p to 1440p gaming (yay!) Happy! However, I ran into some issues regarding what hardware upgrades I should take. First let me clarify what I have:
-i7 4770 (3.4 GHz)
-8 GB DDR3 (800Mhz) RAM
-GeForce 1050 Ti (4GB)
-MSI B85M-E33
-550w PSU (don't know the brand, but for sure it's none of the famous circle)
What I am intending to have is i7 4770 paired with 1070, 16 GB RAM DDR4 (2666 Mhz (yes I am not taking 3000 or 3200 version unless it's a neccesity ), 650w PSU. I am fully unaware of motherboard trendings, is mine good or should I change to newer (as of BIOS firmwares)? And what about bottlenecks between 4770 and 1070? I digged quite deep and heard many positive responses that those two work just fine, although some bottlenecks from time to time might occur? Any response is always cheers in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Migrating from 1080p to 1440p Gaming: Need some advices
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Migrating from 1080p to 1440p Gaming: Need some advices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Bottlenecks are quite rare. Examples:

Long ago Tomshardware found the run of the mill i5-2500 could run a trio of GPU without bottlenecks. You have one GPU and a much newer board and CPU. There should no issue here.

- Collapse -
Answer
Ram

First....that mobo does not support ddr4 ram.
What you want is ddr3 2x8GB @ 1600.

So change that over and test to make sure everything functions.

If your going to start climbing the gpu ladder we will need to know the make and model of the psu.

- Collapse -
PSU and MOB

Yeah, I am in search for new mobo. Planning to purchase Corsair ATX VS Series 650w PSU. What is currently decent and not overly priced mobo that would fit 2x8 GB 2666?

- Collapse -
Mobo

Your cpu does not support ddr4.

Forget this mobo and ddr4 upgrade stuff.

Keep it simple!!

Just bump the ram out as I mentioned above and test.

Then you move into the gpu upgrade area.

- Collapse -
Answer
RAM

your mobo dosen't support ddr4 memory and bottlenecking is not an issue with that cpu and gpu
you search for a new mobo is useless because your 4770k only supports ddr3 memory
better you sell your pc and buy something equivalent to this - https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/4dWzP3

CNET Forums