HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Might we share some blame for prices at the pump?

by Angeline Booher / June 4, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

I ran across this and found it to be worth while. I think it makes some valid points.

One of my favorite newspaper comic strips as a child was the Katzenjammer Kids, about two mischievous boys who were always getting caught red-handed and spanked.

The final frame of the cartoon often showed a wily kid named Rollo, who would point to the wailing Katzenjammers and explain to their tutor, "They brought it on themselves, Miss Twiddle!"

Today, with gasoline prices climbing past $4 a gallon, and diesel near $5, I am reminded of the Katzenjammers. As Rollo might say, "We brought it on ourselves, Uncle Sam!"

More than 30 years have passed since the first "energy crisis" pummeled the American economy. It hurt. People lost jobs. Prices for gasoline went way up, people waited in long lines to refuel, and some service stations even ran dry.

What have Americans done since? Not nearly enough. And that explains some of our current distress.

When the first crisis struck in the 1970s, Congress, the White House, and the Big Three automakers all initially responded. Cars were downsized. Engines were made smaller and more efficient. Highway speed limits were cut to 55 miles per hour. Tough, new gas mileage requirements were imposed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/Story?id=4951169&page=1

The story has 3 pages.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Might we share some blame for prices at the pump?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Might we share some blame for prices at the pump?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read today
by dinox64 / June 4, 2008 10:46 AM PDT

GM plans on shuttering 4 plants that make their large truck lines including the Hummer, and designing smaller cars. They don't see gas ever coming back down to justifable costs to keep people buying their large trucks and suv's. They plan on redesigning and creating new lines in the midsize arena.

Collapse -
Somebody figgered it out......
by Mac McMullen / June 4, 2008 11:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Options...
by Willy / June 5, 2008 12:34 AM PDT

Thew ole USA has been the powerhouse of the world and thus uses alot of energy. From one country many inventions and ideas came about and provided it free or at least for some reasonable cost to the rest of the world. Its a haven for the rest of the world to flock to and still does. We have some of the best roads and that's everywhere not just some "autobahn" or showcase single road, etc.. You get the idea. It takes crisis to make good some new ideas become practical and/or optionable. Bring back nuclear energy and keep its nose clean. Make railroads a real people carrier again w/o the crap that seems that cargo carriers push people aside. In other words make railroads as important as they were long ago.

I remember a Russian immigrant asking me where to get permission to travel about. You don't need none other than simple travel or if moving acknowledge your new address to govt.. Gas is higher because everyone everywhere on the planet uses it. Developing countries uses it less but no though when added to others causes stress on the pipeline. It's not perfect but what else have we got. -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.