Mac OS forum

General discussion

Might MS make an effort to prevent Windows on Macs?

by sup909 / April 8, 2006 2:37 PM PDT

There seems to be a lot of hoop-la this week about Windows on Macs now. I have read a lot of people thinking OSX might be able to boot on PC's or that Apple will do everything they can to prevent OSX on PC's.

No one seems to be discussing what Microsoft seems to think of this whole deal. By concensus, it seems that the move by Apple is to try to get more people using its OS and machines by exposing Windows users. To me this seems like something Microsoft would not want. Anyone think that Microsoft might try to prevent the Windows (particularly Vista) from being installed on Macs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Might MS make an effort to prevent Windows on Macs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Might MS make an effort to prevent Windows on Macs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From my view,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 9:42 PM PDT

I attend too many seminars on Embedded Windows and Microsoft is always trying to find new non-PC platforms to get windows into. Without explaining further, there is no sign that Microsoft wants to limit what hardware it can be run on.

Bob

Collapse -
My view
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: From my view,

You should also remember that MS are a software company and make money off the number of copies sold, regardless of what platform it runs on.
Apple, on the other hand, is both a Hardware and Software company. Primarily hardware, their aim is to sell as much machinery as possible, using the OS as the lever. Witness the iPod (machinery) and iTunes (software lever). The aim of iTunes is to sell iPods, regardless of the platform it runs on.
Allowing OS X to run on any old beige box reduces Apples profitability and this is why they will do their utmost to prevent OS X from running on any machine that they did not build.

P

Collapse -
Does'nt that also...
by Rob10 / April 9, 2006 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: My view

prevent Apple from getting much more share in the whole computer market? Look at the lopsided number of people who use Windows vs Macs. And I'm sure all the Windows people aren't using it because they think it's a better OS. Bill gates is a very rich guy because he created a monopoly which he ruthlessly wields, but also because he sells tons of copies of Windows. I wonder how the overall profit margins would work out if Apple sold more copies of it's OS to anyone and made less per unit vs the margins they make with the combined OS/Mac hardware package and fewer units sold.

Collapse -
Well discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Does'nt that also...

You've repeated many discussions but omit one issue.

We have choices in Mac, Linux, SUN and more so to call it ruthless is not clear in my view since we still have other choices.

Bob

Collapse -
If business is war
by simoncroft / April 9, 2006 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Well discussed.

'Ruthless' is something of a loaded word. However, if we believe the marketing gurus and accept the idea that 'business is war', we would have to concede that Microsoft must have some blindingly good generals to have won so much territory. This is especially so when it's technology is often unreliable and not particularly innovative.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.