HolidayBuyer's Guide

MacBooks forum

General discussion

Mid 2007 Macbook Pro Wireless Problems

by tawakol--2008 / November 9, 2009 11:49 AM PST

I've been having some problems with the wireless on my MBP (running 10.6.2) for a while now; I never have a stable connection with an access point.

At first, I thought it might be the access point, so I changed it and bought a an Dual-Band Airport Extreme Base Station. But, the problem remained there. However, the AEBS helped me troubleshoot this problem more. I used the log graph in Airport Utility, and found this: www.ahmadtawakol.com/airport.jpg

The red line is my laptop, and the blue line is another Late 2006 MBP (running 10.5) that's placed right next to mine. I took this screenshot AFTER switching Airport Cards between both laptops. So this means that the problem is not the Airport Card. Which leaves me thinking that it might be the antenna itself. I already asked if I could have the antenna replaced, and it doesn't come separately, its part of the display.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Anyone knows how to fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Mid 2007 Macbook Pro Wireless Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Mid 2007 Macbook Pro Wireless Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some previous
by deniceels / November 9, 2009 11:31 PM PST

problems posted with regards to unstable wireless conection with airport and Snow Leopard was due to the need to update Airport's firmware.

Just a quick question: Was it working fine with the previous version (Leopard or Tiger)? If so, as mentioned in my post, updating Airport first, cheaper than going to change the internal wireless card in your Macbook Pro.

Collapse -
@deniceels
by tawakol--2008 / November 10, 2009 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Some previous

Yes, everything is up to date..and I already tried replacing the airport card from another MBP that I know works, so it's not a problem with the airport card itself.

I had problems on leopard too, but I never really bothered to troubleshoot it, because I didn't have a router capable of transmitting at the 5GHz frequency. It's gets a lot worse on 5 than on 2.4 and I need to be on the 5. But even on the 2.4, the connection will drop if the signal is weak, while other laptops right next to mine work perfectly fine.

Collapse -
If you have the
by deniceels / November 11, 2009 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: @deniceels

technical experience in 'dismantling' MBP, you can go to this for guide on how to change the antenna cable or cover.
http://www.ifixit.com/

Hope it helps as I'm only using macbook'06 and hp nc6220 and hadn't encounter this personally.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.